Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to Commit to close targets

I'm a very new (2 matches) USPSA shooter, and I recently shot a local match where there a few close targets. within 7 yards. I couldn't "make" myself commit to these targets and get a proper sight picture. instead, i just pointed in their general direction and pulled the trigger. the hits were good, and they were quick, but it felt lucky. i'm very glad to have been practicing indexing, because that had to be what did it. that, and the fact they were almost too close to miss. i didn't even try to look for sights. i didn't have any trouble slowing down and commiting to the medium or long range targets, however.

anyone else do this? or do you make sure of a positive sight picture on every target, no matter the distance? some of these targets were as close as 3 or 4 yards away. if i could have, i would have looked for a sight picture... but autopilot got the best of me.

Here's a video of one of the stages i'm talking about. the quickest shots right before the big open door are the ones where i didn't have a sight picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppw9dLb5K18

i'm new at this. and i'm not too proud. all critiques welcome. even the warnings about how i'm flirting with the 180 at the end during the reload. :)

This is actually kind of an advanced question, so the fact that you're noticing and asking now is a good thing ;)

Ask yourself this - what constitutes a "sight picture"? Does it have to be seeing a perfectly aligned front sight centered and level in the rear notch? Do you need that level of precision to consistently shoot As on the target presentation you were shooting at?

The answers are really that a valid sight picture depends on the target presentation you're shooting at - and for close range targets with wide open A-zones, a less precise sight picture is perfectly fine for most folks. The trick is not losing visual focus or patience. For instance, at that range, I can look over the top of the gun, and see that it's aligned in the A-zone, and that's adequate for me to shoot As all day long at 3-4 yards. However, I can (and have) missed at that range - I still need to focus on seeing the area on the target that I want to hit and I need to be certain that the gun is pointed there and that it goes off and lifts from that spot (ie, I still need to call my shots and follow through appropriately).

So, that's a long way of saying that it sounds like you did just fine... ;)

"see what you need to see to get the hits you need to get"

As Dave said, "sight picture" mightn't be necessary at all. Simple index, point shooting, slide alignment, etc is sometimes sufficient.

This is actually kind of an advanced question, so the fact that you're noticing and asking now is a good thing ;)

+1

I think it is a common mistake. Many look at the close targets and throw them into the mental category as "speed targets". They think they need to hose them.

IMO, that is wrong thinking. We aren't scored on any individual targets within a stage...our hit factor is based on the whole of the stage.

If anything, I want to make sure to get my Alphas on close targets. They are like free points.

I also like getting the feedback from my iron sights. That gives me knowledge (and doesn't cost me time). That knowledge...likely ends up saving me time, as knowing lets me be more decisive.

Collect your FREE ALPHAS. :)

No such thing as too close to miss. I learned this the hard way as I've completely missed close up targets when I've blazed through them without seeing my sights. In the end, taking that extra .10 or .20 to see what you need to see on the A zone is always better than 2 mikes.

I think it is a common mistake. Many look at the close targets and throw them into the mental category as "speed targets". They think they need to hose them.

Of course, there's a difference between "hose" and "engage fast as hell" (where "hose" implies a certain lack of attention). You need to pick up As everywhere - on the close up stuff, you need to pick up As really quickly. Luckily, you can do that...

I also like getting the feedback from my iron sights. That gives me knowledge (and doesn't cost me time). That knowledge...likely ends up saving me time, as knowing lets me be more decisive.

Definitely agree - regardless of how I'm accomplishing my aiming at the moment, visual feedback on where the gun is pointed and what the sights are doing is important (ie - it's calling the shot, regardless of what mechanism it's achieved by). I've normally always got the sights or the dot in view, even if I'm not emphatically focused on using them in the traditional fashion, and the feedback from them is important.

What's "scary" is when you're in the moment, and just letting things happen, and your body manages to shoot As on really up close stuff while breaking the triangle :surprise: I've had that happen twice this year, so far - always on hard leans around a wall to the right on really close targets (including headshot-only type targets). Dramatic visual focus on the spot I want to hit, and the body just makes it happen. Not ever something I'd purposefully try to do, but very cool to watch it unfold on it's own... :)

XRe... Well-put comments. Although I am still new at this game, my competitive nature drives to acquire information as much as possible. I tend to be very analytical -- too much at times. This type of input is quite helpful to my endeavor of becoming a better competitor. btw... saw you shoot at Double Tap Champiship. Look forward to meeting you one day.

When you can pick up an Alpha by throwing the gun towards the target (usually make ups for shots that weren't so good)it is fun to watch. Not ideal, but fun to watch. I did that twice on a stage at the Buckeye challenge 2 yrs ago. Didn't like the last shot on paper as I was leaving the position, threw the extra shot at it. 3 alphas were the result on both targets I re-engaged. My lesson learned was trust. If you think you saw a good shot, trust your front sight.

As you get better/more experience at speed you'll develop a range that you can confortably point-shoot at. After trying to hose the Front Sight classifier, I've confirmed my range is at least 7 yards. If I can see even just a flash of front sight, I know the hits will be there.

I think the key is to let the front sight, your index.. whatever you are actually using to call your shots, dictate the speed at which you shoot. To many times, I have hosed at close targets, letting my trigger finger dictate when the shot will break. See what you need to see to make the shot

I think the key is to let the front sight, your index.. whatever you are actually using to call your shots, dictate the speed at which you shoot. To many times, I have hosed at close targets, letting my trigger finger dictate when the shot will break. See what you need to see to make the shot

Yes. Everything you need to see is always right in front of your face.