Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The June bug, and the squib

While testing a pistol load...we had a squib :angry2:

Now after untold thousands of rounds loaded on my 1050, only one event with squibs, broke a powder measure :( and dropped 2 or 3 in a bin of 500...that was no fun :o

But today...several squibs....the press checked out just fine, what could cause this??

Well it seems some little June bugs got into the brass feeder, and got loaded into some rounds :huh:

The bug (squished by the deprimer) is indeed enough to prevent the powder from ignition.

At least the press is working as it should....we just had to work the bugs out :goof:

A press cover may be a good idea :rolleyes:

Jim

I noticed a few lights powder loads the other day and couldnt figure it out. Took off the powder measure and dumped it, and found an empty 9mm case. Powder measure has a lid, I loaded powder the day before. Still scratching my head. Go figure. Lol

I had one of these a few weeks ago on my 650, but caught it as the powder was splilled out everywhere.

i shoot at the same "range", my back yard, every week. sometimes i find some casings i didn't catch the first time, or even the time after that. first and only squib i had was one such casing that had a spider web and a spider in it. the tumbler didn't get it out, and at the time i wasn't in the habit of looking inside every case before it goes in the press.

it is indeed enough to cause failure of ignition. it was enough to kill him though, so that's good enough for me.

I had one of these a few weeks ago on my 650, but caught it as the powder was splilled out everywhere.

not to de-rail but that looks like a lot of bell on that 9mm case.

Looks crazy at that zoom level, it's really not that much. I'm using BBI bullets and I use a little more bell to avoid cutting the moly.

A press cover? That's it Jim? No auto tracking June bug disintegrator? No nuclear powered self propelled high energy bug destroyer? I'm disappointed. :ph34r:

Nope :closedeyes:

I have too many Bigger fish to fry :cheers:

Jim ;)

What kind of Fish ?

I'll bring the Beer !

:cheers:

After loading on 550's for half my life bought a 650 and learned real quick that I needed to spend a little more time inspecting brass before dropping them in the hopper, Mostly for .380 cases but you never know what will find it's way into a case, even a slight amount of mud sometimes sticks to brass laying on it's side.

While I've never run into anything in the powder measure, always replace the cap as soon as I add powder or pour up set up drops. A small screen placed in the bottom of the powder measure that allows powder to flow through it but would catch foreign matter is something I've thought about trying.

Glad you caught it during a test and not a stage. It's amazing what can happen, good humor to start the morning with.

A press cover? That's it Jim? No auto tracking June bug disintegrator? No nuclear powered self propelled high energy bug destroyer? I'm disappointed. :ph34r:

Nope :closedeyes:

I have too many Bigger fish to fry :cheers:

Jim ;)

What kind of Fish ?

I'll bring the Beer !

:cheers:

A Fish lover :cheers:

I hope to get three days fishing with the grandaughters just before we go to RM3gun :cheers:

If we catch one, Will think of you :D

Jim

While testing a pistol load...we had a squib :angry2:

Now after untold thousands of rounds loaded on my 1050, only one event with squibs, broke a powder measure :( and dropped 2 or 3 in a bin of 500...that was no fun :o

But today...several squibs....the press checked out just fine, what could cause this??

Well it seems some little June bugs got into the brass feeder, and got loaded into some rounds :huh:

The bug (squished by the deprimer) is indeed enough to prevent the powder from ignition.

At least the press is working as it should....we just had to work the bugs out :goof:

A press cover may be a good idea :rolleyes:

Jim

A June bug? what were you reloading? 50 BMG? :devil:

One of these?

JuneBug.jpg

Those things in Maine would damn near rip you off a motorcycle if you get hit with one.

or were these getting in your cases?

full_ladybug.jpg