Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 caliber load question

sqrlnts

My current target load is 4.8 grains of N320 with a 230 grain RN bullet. FYI, Just switched from 9mm to .45 so I am trying to use up my N320. Once this is gone, I am thinking of switching to Hodgson clays. I have heard it is fairly clean and meters well. Anyone know what a similar load would be with Clays that still makes PF? Thanks in advance.

Firearm : STI Edge

Range:  25 YDS

Primer:  CCI 300

Bullet: 230 PRECISION DELTA

Powder:  TITEGROUP

OAL:  1.260

Muzzle Velocity:756

Charge:4.8

1st Group: 1.564

2nd Group: 3.179

Ave Group: 2.372

Edited by 38superman

Anyone know what a similar load would be with Clays that still makes PF? Thanks in advance.

4.0 which is listed as max I believe should do it, I'm running 4.1 and a 230rn Bayou Bullet in my 625 and making around a 170 PF.(always start lower and work up)

In my 5" 1911 4.0 makes in a 230 and 4.2 makes in a 200.

Greg

My current target load is 4.8 grains of N320 with a 230 grain RN bullet. FYI, Just switched from 9mm to .45 so I am trying to use up my N320. Once this is gone, I am thinking of switching to Hodgson clays. I have heard it is fairly clean and meters well. Anyone know what a similar load would be with Clays that still makes PF? Thanks in advance.

If you search around on this forum you will find many folks use Clays with 230 gr bullets. I find that 4.1 makes major with a Zero 230 gr FMJ at 1.25". Nice load. (And I did switch from N320)

Later,

Chuck

If you search around on this forum you will find many folks use Clays with 230 gr bullets. I find that 4.1 makes major with a Zero 230 gr FMJ at 1.25". Nice load. (And I did switch from N320)

Later,

Chuck

Thanks for the info Chuck, I need to up my post count, so I searched then asked.

3.8 grains of n320 is very nice.

Does this make major PF?

Later,

Chuck

Thanks for the info Chuck, I need to up my post count, so I searched then asked.

Does this make major PF?

post-25077-0-67451100-1311184011_thumb.j

Later,

Chuck

Does this make major PF?

Your attachment while nice, doesn't answer if 3.8 grains of N320 will make major PF?? <_<

Later,

Chuck

Does this make major PF?

Your attachment while nice, doesn't answer if 3.8 grains of N320 will make major PF?? <_<

According to his chart, he was using 200 grain bullets, and only made 159pf, so the answer is no.

With Clays, you need to chrono your load at the temperature you plan to shoot. The velocity goes up, with the temperature.

• 3 weeks later...

in my Springfield 1911 I have had great results with 3.5 Gr of Vihtavuori N310 and a Zero 185Gr LSWCHP bullet.

And switch the factory spring to 8 to 10# pound but remember not to use factory ammo

once you switch the spring.

MrFixitman

• 2 months later...