Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Don't Like Country Western But........

Don't really care for it. Especially the new stuff. But Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, and Willy Nelson, I can listen to all day. I like those old sweet depressing or uplifting story-telling songs from the early 70s, late 60s. I wish someone sang songs like that now. Probably wouldn't sell well these days.

Even though it's now knocking on the door of being "classic", some Uncle Tupelo (and later Son Volt + some early Wilco)might pique your interest. Even though it's labeled as "alternative country" since they frequently have a punk tinged edge, but they put out some great music..and when they rocked, they really rocked.

Don't forget Waylon :cheers:

Johnny Cash's American recordings are truly wonderful.

Yes indeed there on both counts.

Even though it's now knocking on the door of being "classic", some Uncle Tupelo (and later Son Volt + some early Wilco)might pique your interest. Even though it's labeled as "alternative country" since they frequently have a punk tinged edge, but they put out some great music..and when they rocked, they really rocked.

Don't forget Waylon :cheers:

Johnny Cash's American recordings are truly wonderful.

Yes indeed there on both counts.

I'm a huge Uncle Tupelo fan. And those are two of my favorite songs! In my iTunes, Moonshiner is the most played song.

:)

George Jones? solid stories about drinking and lovin'.

I started listening to country right when Garth Brooks released his first cd, and have never left country as my preferred genre. I was lucky enough to get to see Garth this past November in Vegas. It was not is old show, it was more about how he developed his style. He always went back to what his dad listen to, Haggard and Jones. I was always a Haggard fan, but that opened me up to George Jones.

I listen to the new stuff, but really dig the older stuff. My wife prefers for me to listen to it on headphones.

I started listening to country right when Garth Brooks released his first cd, and have never left country as my preferred genre. I was lucky enough to get to see Garth this past November in Vegas. It was not is old show, it was more about how he developed his style. He always went back to what his dad listen to, Haggard and Jones. I was always a Haggard fan, but that opened me up to George Jones.

I listen to the new stuff, but really dig the older stuff. My wife prefers for me to listen to it on headphones.

Garth Brooks? No we were talking about music. ;)

Garth Brooks? No we were talking about music. ;)

my intent was not to offer of Garth as someone for the OP to check out. Merely telling the story of how I ended up finding George Jones.

sorry to bring Garth up... let me know when you talk about "GOOD MUSIC" and I will bring him up in that thread. ha ha.

• 2 weeks later...

JimmyZip, If you like Hank, Johnny, & Buck you should check out Wayne Hancock. He is putting out albums and writing songs right up in the same alley as the great outsider / outlaw country of the 50s & 60s. If you dig Uncle Tupelo & Sun Volt you should check out the album "wreck your life" by the Old 97s. The early stuff by the Jayhawks is also some great alt-country.