Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me why you shoot a CZ

joedodge

There used to be 2 different people (Kevin, CPD officer is one) who shot SP01's at the WAC club. One had a trigger done by Angus at CZUSA custom shop, the other was done by Matt Mink. They were both really nice SA triggers, less than 3 lbs and maybe 1/8" travel, or less.

Around 2007 I shot one of the SPO1's over my chronograph, power factor 131. Then another shooter's G34, power factor 131. Same bullet, same powder (different charge), same primer, same loader (Harbor Reloading). The difference in muzzle lift & overall gun movement was... ludicrous. I laughed as I shot the CZ.

I haven't shot one live, but the only Production trigger that comes close to Matt or Angus CZ guns would be an XD by Canyon or Springer. $.02. My intention is to buy a Shadow and an XDM 5.25 and sell the one I shoot less well. And buy more ammo, load less ammo.

By the way, a good way to compare lots of guns is to bring your PACT chrono to every match but leave the skyscreens at home. No one wants to risk blasting your chrono so they hand you their gun to shoot.

Edited by eric nielsen

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got an sp01 due to necessity, in order to compete in production under IPSC rules you have not many choices. Add that in Italy 9para is forbidden for civilian and you are forced to use what comes in 9x21. I still don't like my sp01, grip is just not right for me, but it sure shoot very soft compared to my glock. I've done my trigger job using an old and straighter DA trigger, and got 5.5lbs DA and a break of 1.2lbs SA. It's good but the pretravel kills me..it's hard to ride the reset with the sp01 as I did with my glock. Also, reset was more positive with my glock. Recoil is milder for sure. Actually I think is one of the best guns for production, I use the thin and chekered alu grips from czusa.com, and they are very secure. All in all, a good gun, not the best for sure, but good.

All in all, a good gun, not the best for sure, but good.

Heresy!

Seriously, though, there are a few top level pistols that are all very capable in the right hands, but CZ can certainly make a case for being "best" with their "winningest gun in IPSC" claim. As long as you've got a reliable, accurate, large frame pistol, individual preference, comfort and skill probably make the difference. You'd be harder pressed to do as well with a polymer sub-compact, regardless of quality!

no such thing as "the best gun". there is so much more to the sport than just a gun. however i believe there's a difference between a tried and true gun and one that is not. CZs, glocks, sigs, XDs, m&ps, all fall into the category of tried and true. any of them can be tuned and shot well for what we do. each have their own champions that kick butt. the real important thing is to find the one that works best for you. that is why i offer to loan any of mine out to folks thinking about a CZ, so they can make the most informed decision possible.

I shoot my CZ because it is ridiculously easy to shoot fast and well. It is an older pre-B converted to SA only by Angus about 5 years ago. I intended to use it in IDPA ESP div.,which is what I do. Now that I shoot USPSA it really is only good for L10 minor. Faultlessly reliable, accurate enough and easy to shoot well for me. Tried to replace it with a SA 9mm 1911 a few years back, but why? No mag issues, no grip safety issues, don't need a mag well...It works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot a CZ-75b because I wanted something different and was in a pawn shop one day and found it for $350 w/ 1 mag. I like it but it has had a couple of hickups but that could be ammo related. I was shooting BVAC reloads. Also when shooting lead bullets and bullseye powder you need to clean behind the extractor every thousand rounds or so because it will fill up and cause failure to extract problems. I am sure if I was not such a cheapskate and used a cleaner powder or jacketed rounds it would not be an issue.

Went through a season with a nice 1911 clone (Bul M5) and fancied something whose recoil recovery was quicker while still being a very shootable gun. The Shadow seems to do the trick.

Besides that, with blue aluminum grips, it is positively sexy!