Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SV Mags

rhd2542

Do new SV Mags work in an older SV. I heard when they went to a metal grip the mags changed.

I think SV says they'll work in the older frames. The require modifications for STI frames. They're wider in the front at the taper, and interfere in the frame.

I'm not sure about older SV frames, but I just fit two new 170mm SVI mag tubes to a 2xxx serial number STI yesterday. The mags were the usual condition coming out of SV; lots of belt sanding work to clean up the craptacular welds (front and back), lots of polish, and both mags were not square.

They are now square, highly polished, drop free, and feed.

I have no idea why we, as shooters, put up with hundred dollar parts that don't work out of the box. Oh yeah, limited supply items from only two sources, one of which doesn't work with 9mm. Sigh.

The new logo is spiffy, though (rolls eyes)

Alex

No old SV are the same as all Sti

plus newer stamped SV tubes do not fit STI grips because the mag catch hole is lower on those new SV stamped tubes.

old SV works fine with all STI as Ronnie mentioned.

Edited by Torogi

I don’t know for sure if the old SV grips are the same as STI grips but I think they are. Anyway I’m using the new SV signature mags in my STI grip and frame and had to make a couple mods to make them fit properly. If you compare new SVI frames to STI’s, you’ll notice one of the edges at the top of the mag opening is beveled and isn’t on the STi frame. The new signature mags hit that sharp edge and keep the mags from coming up far enough. I beveled that edge and now it works fine. I don’t know if old SV frames are beveled but you can always check. Put some marker fluid on the mag and you’ll see if there’s contact.

The mag catch on sv’s are a little different too so I modified my mag catch a little and took a little of the BOTTOM edge of the mag catch hole to make sure the mag catch could go in far enough.

Those mods worked fine for me for the most part. 3 of my mags work perfectly but there’s one that’s a little bigger and doesn’t drop free.

Dont know about you guys but ive tried Tuning some SV mags for some friends with STI's and it was a pain... in the end i found out by just swapping the mag release to an SV fixed everything almost no filing the mag catch hole anymore..... Your results may vary.

I don’t know for sure if the old SV grips are the same as STI grips but I think they are. Anyway I’m using the new SV signature mags in my STI grip and frame and had to make a couple mods to make them fit properly. If you compare new SVI frames to STI’s, you’ll notice one of the edges at the top of the mag opening is beveled and isn’t on the STi frame. The new signature mags hit that sharp edge and keep the mags from coming up far enough. I beveled that edge and now it works fine. I don’t know if old SV frames are beveled but you can always check. Put some marker fluid on the mag and you’ll see if there’s contact.

The mag catch on sv’s are a little different too so I modified my mag catch a little and took a little of the BOTTOM edge of the mag catch hole to make sure the mag catch could go in far enough.

Those mods worked fine for me for the most part. 3 of my mags work perfectly but there’s one that’s a little bigger and doesn’t drop free.

Sti changed the way they cut the mag opening on their frames. I found that out when my new gun came and my old SV mags would not fit.

Edited by AWLAZS

Sti changed the way they cut the mag opening on their frames. I found that out when my new gun came and my old SV mags would not fit.

Thats Odd... i just received my new STI Open Gun and new STI 6" all my old SV mags seem to work ...the frames came from Brownells

Maybe you have a frame thats been hanging out for a while or your smith cut it for you. I spoke with STI about it. They said they stopped milling out one side of the mag opening to strengthen the frame.

Maybe you have a frame thats been hanging out for a while or your smith cut it for you. I spoke with STI about it. They said they stopped milling out one side of the mag opening to strengthen the frame.

Thanks, that's good info. When was this change made?

Nope frame was new from brownells bought 2 months ago came in with the "Employee owned" box... im comparing the frames and see no difference and even asked My Gunsmith about it he said he did not have to do any cutting.. hey in the end im just happy it works : )

• 2 months later...