Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Learning Glock....keep it Stock or 3.5 trigger?

KungFuNerd

Sevigny, or Vogal would still probably whip me with an 8lb connector and the NY2 spring installed (like 16lb pull?)

I know you're being sarcastic, but it may be worth noting, for those reading it, that this combination is specifically not recommended by Glock because it can lead to failures of the trigger to reset.

I refused to "learn the Glock trigger", I did learn how to do a Glock trigger job. Mine are all 2 lbs and a pleasure to shoot.

Details? I just got my first Glock, a 34. Installed the V3 race connector and the ZT spring kit - the striker spring and mine is nowhere near 2lbs.

Here are a couple of my thoughts...

First-a Gen 3.5 Glocks is a Gen 3 Glock with 1) the latest triggerbar, which has the dogleg(bent)extension at the bottom with a channel for the trigger spring (to further reduce the chances of eventual spring connection point fatigue), and 2) the current extractor, reportedly comprised of MIM, visually observable with a horizontal dip at the top of the extractor. The previous LCI Gen 3 extractor was made of tool steel, and has a straight top.

Second, A RTF2 Glock is generally a Gen3, although there may well be some that qualify as Gen 3.5. As the RTF2 guns are currently only available to LEOs, and may well be out of active production (with some backstocks), they're pretty much a non-issue in this discussion for most practical purposes.

Third, the "dot" #5 connector is the new connector designed by Glock, primarily to lower the amont of triggerpull weight needed for the Gen4 guns; in a Gen4 gun, the triggerpull weight will be around 5.5 lbs with the coil trigger spring. When used in a Gen 3 gun, the triggerpull weight is between the 4.5 lb "minus" connector and the standard 5.5 lb "standard" connector.

My understanding is that current production Gen4 guns will have the "dot"/#5 connector as the OEM connector. Otherwise, at this time current aftermarket availability of the connector is very limited. I hope to have one shortly, and will report back after installation and use.

Finally-The advantage(s) of the NY1 trigger with the standard or (more ideally, in my opinion) minus connector:

1. Trigger pull is constant, from inception to break;

2. The NY1 spring acts more like a safety, in that it makes it harder to achieve ignition, as opposed to the standard trigger spring, which is

designed to ease ignition.

3. When used with the "minus" conector, with it's shallower angle (resulting in a quicker break/reset point) it provides a much more

discernable reset point. When I use the coil spring with the minus connector, I find it a bit difficult in use to capitalize on

shooting from the link/reset point, as it arrives quickly and is harder to discern/feel. The increase in triggerpull weight (on a Gen 3

gun) with the NY1/minus connnector combination is negligable-probably around 6 to 6.5 lbs (YMMV). All things considered, this is the

main reason for me to use the NY1/minus set-up, which I've set up on my G34. I have no hesitation to use it for both competition and

carry.

I will say that the coil trigger spring will in liklihood provide a slightly smoother triggerpull overall than the NY1 does.

If you're concerned with triggerpull weight and keeping things stock/OEM parts, after about 1K rounds down the pipe with the standard connector, it's not abnormal for the triggerpull to diminish by a lb or so, as the parts burnish themselves together. So, over time, for me, the main reason again for the NY1 is to achieve a more discernable reset point, especially with the minus connector.

The old saw about the NY1 being more durable than the coil spring has pretty much gone away with the advent of 1) the improved battleship gray coil springs, and 2) the revised (enlarged) spring attachment point holes on the triggerbar and trigger housing mechanism components. The Gen 3.5 triggerbar as discussed earlier gilds the lily even further against trigger spring fatigue. For preventave maintenance purposes, I'd probably change out the spring every 10K rounds or so, or sooner, depending upon how anal you are, but it's really a very dependable component.

Best, Jon

1. Trigger pull is constant, from inception to break;

Not in my experience. There is a still a very perceptible "link" point in the trigger stroke with the New York Trigger/NY-1 where the trigger pull suddenly stacks. (Though I do actually own one example each of New York Trigger Plus/NY-2, I've never actually had them in a gun though I'm sure the same is true of them.)

If you're concerned with triggerpull weight and keeping things stock/OEM parts, after about 1K rounds down the pipe with the standard connector, it's not abnormal for the triggerpull to diminish by a lb or so, as the parts burnish themselves together.

Conversely if you start out with nicely polished parts, as you fire/dry fire the gun more the trigger pulls will actually get slightly heavier. Mostly, I think, through things like the sides of the firing pin lug geting scraped by the sides of the slot it moves within, and the increase in friction there caused by having the sides of the lug be rough scraped surfaces instead of smoothly polished surfaces. For this reason I periodically pull the firing pin out of the slide and lightly repolish the sides of the lug.

So, over time, for me, the main reason again for the NY1 is to achieve a more discernable reset point, especially with the minus connector.

I don't have a problem feeling the reset point with the standard coil spring. The problem I have these days with the New York Trigger/NY-1 setup is that, since my shooting technique is built around leaving my shooting hand relaxed and finessing the trigger, the more powerful return of the NYT/NY-1 will actually drive my trigger finger all the way forward, way past the reset point, during trigger return. :(

So, over time, for me, the main reason again for the NY1 is to achieve a more discernable reset point, especially with the minus connector.

I don't have a problem feeling the reset point with the standard coil spring. The problem I have these days with the New York Trigger/NY-1 setup is that, since my shooting technique is built around leaving my shooting hand relaxed and finessing the trigger, the more powerful return of the NYT/NY-1 will actually drive my trigger finger all the way forward, way past the reset point, during trigger return. :(

Duane, there's probably a bit of a difference in "finessing" a 2 lb (or lower) trigger than a 4.5-6.5 lb trigger. Where you're deliberately seeking a lighter trigger pull, the coil trigger spring makes the most sense; in your instance, the NY1 is counter-productive (and way outside of it's intended design parameters).

My intent is to find a viable solution for carry and competition (primarily IDPA)-hence the affinity for the NY1/minus connector combo in my G34; other than the NY1 spring and the Warren Tactical sights I added, the gun is box stock. Other than judicious application of TW25B and Weapon Shield lubricants in select locations, I've not felt any compelling need to do any other polishing/dremeling/esoteric parts replacements-but that's for me and my perceived needs/applications.

Best, Jon

Edited by JonInWA

I'm one of those guys who is used to a 2.5/3# trigger on a 1911 so I put 3.5 LWD connectors in my G19 and G36 and really like the results. I replaced the OEM trigger spring with a 6# spring from Wolfe and didn't notice much difference. For me the 3.5# connector has been the best improvement and I haven't got that reported mushy break some folks have experienced. The heavier connector seemed to make me want to jurk the trigger and make it break.

Today I reverted to the 5.5# trigger after shooting for a few months with a 3.5#. The added weight didn't really make a difference in accuracy or rate of fire. The main thing is still to use the front sight to look off the shots, irrespective of the trigger weight.

I like a lighter trigger pull than the stock Glock 5.5# to 6.0#. It has not been my experience that the Glock trigger pull drops 1# after shooting. If the internal parts are properly lubed they do not get much smoother after shooting vs. being properly polished.

I run a 3.5 lb Ghost Rocket an the light Wolf spring (4 lb, I think?) in my G24. That being said, I'm nothing but stock (the 5 lb or whatever it is) in my other Glocks. For me, game guns are fine, and I love the 24 for that. Carry or general purpose, never.