Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kel Tec PF9

Wanted

Anyone load for this gun? I've loaded Precision Delta 124gr FMJ and Berry's 124gr bullets,it eats em up. But I have some Missouri 115gr LRN and it won't go into battery. (ogive maybe?) I'm loading all to 1.120

I'm not familiar with that pistol.

Can you remove the barrel, so you can chamber check your ammo?

I'm guessing that they are a little on the long side.

Yeah I did that last night. They do sit a hair above the hood.

That sounds like the bullet could be in contact with the rifling. If so, that isn't just a feed issue... it could raise internal case pressure too. (not a good thing)

If you shorten the OAL...that will also increase case pressure. So, I'd back off the charge and re-develop the load.

And I agree...I really don't see handgun as being broken in until 500 rounds or so. (I guess that includes the whole system...me, gun, ammo, mags, etc.)

If you shorten the OAL...that will also increase case pressure. So, I'd back off the charge and re-develop the load.

And I agree...I really don't see handgun as being broken in until 500 rounds or so. (I guess that includes the whole system...me, gun, ammo, mags, etc.)

I read that the Kel Tec PF9 is only a 500 round gun, it's not a plinker and has only one job and that's defensive carry. That's why it only cost $250 or so.

I have had a PF9 for a little over two years and I practice drawing from my carry holsters (1 IWB 1 OWB) and shooting a metric USPSA target from 5 to 15 yds every time I go to the range to practice. I've shot in the neighborhood of 150 factory defense loads through it and probably 500-600 rounds of my minor PF match ammo. Since the frame rails are aluminum they can get ruined very quickly if not properly lubed. I try to clean mine once a month and keep medium Slide-Glide on the rails. They do show wear, but not enough to effect accuracy. In fact the wear showed up in the first 100 rds and hasn't progressed since.

**back on topic**

To the OP, I had issues with Precision moly bullets preventing it closing into battery, but all jacketed loads have worked fine. Most of my load's OAL run about 1.125 to 1.135.

My old PF9 (when I had it) ran everything I used: Plated, jacketed and moly. No issues with tumble from those in mine. That said, I have seen a few PF-9's and quality control is/was not always the same. Not necessarily "bad" but the guns just fit 'differently' from one another.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a PF9 that I thought was key-holing at the local indoor range. Then it struck me that it was flapping the target sheet around. The taget is only held by a clip at the top. I added a sheet of cardboard to back it and voila, no more apparent keyholes. After adding a backing, I've only had holes. No, nothing else I shot does this. I have no real explanation for the phenomenon.

I read that the Kel Tec PF9 is only a 500 round gun, it's not a plinker and has only one job and that's defensive carry. That's why it only cost $250 or so.

I had well over 2K through mine in a year and when I finally sold it to go back to a 4th Gen G26 still looked pretty dam new, very little wear. I cleaned it every firing/week and lubed the barrel hood with CLP and the rails with gun butter.

Guy's over at KTOG have run them with three to four times more rounds than me and have had no issues. http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=236442&page=1.6

I had well over 2K through mine in a year and when I finally sold it to go back to a 4th Gen G26 still looked pretty dam new, very little wear. I cleaned it every firing/week and lubed the barrel hood with CLP and the rails with gun butter.

Guy's over at KTOG have run them with three to four times more rounds than me and have had no issues. http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=236442&page=1.6

Well that is news to me... that's why I love this forum, I learn something new every day! :cheers: