Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag problems SP-01

Torogi

occasionally during COF my mags are not dropping free. and what I hate the most is during speed shoot stages or classifiers. It doesn't happen on my first stage and most of times its on succeeding stages. I do make it a habit that any mags dropping on the dirt gets cleaned. Am i missing something??

I dont know if this has something to do with it but I had been experiencing nose dives too. not too frequent but it happened either during COF or sometimes when im emptying mags when im pushing the rounds out it goes nosedive.

im planning on changing my mag springs, 18 rounders. seems like CZ USA has them cheaper. BTW, im loading at 1.115, 1.120 the longest, nosediving happens either lead or jacketed. Im planning on loading shorter at 1.095 (to offset +/- 0.005 variance).

2) Partial Feeds and Double Feeds – When chambering a round, the underside of the slide behind the breech face can drag on the next round at the top of the magazine. This can partially dislodge the next round from the magazine. The partially fed round may end up sitting with its nose at the bottom of the feed ramp and interfere with the extraction/ejection of the chambered round. In addition, the partially fed round can cause the magazine to hang if you attempt to drop the magazine.

^^^ this could be it. does the mag come out a few millimeters and stop?

most of the time the problem is the top round in the mag moving forward and hanging up on the frame.

strong mag springs and polishing the underside of the slide has been the best solutions to keep that round from moving too far forward.

Edited by eerw

I cant really remember if the mag drop a little, but I think it does. drops a little maybe a quarter an inch, just a small gap then I have to yank it out.

How do I fix the underside of the slide G? (EDIT: checked the link. thanks!)

actually its a new slide too. haven't broken in yet. also i think i need to tune the extractor, got a stovepipe last match.

Edited by Torogi

It's not your ammo, as I'm experiencing the same thing on occasion with my shadow. Believe it or not, the problem is the mag release, not pushing it in far enough or long enough. I duplicated the exact problem numerous times. Try pushing the mag release farther in and for a split second longer.

It's not your ammo, as I'm experiencing the same thing on occasion with my shadow. Believe it or not, the problem is the mag release, not pushing it in far enough or long enough. I duplicated the exact problem numerous times. Try pushing the mag release farther in and for a split second longer.

I'll keep this in mind when im dry firing/ live fire. Thanks!

most of the time the problem is the top round in the mag moving forward and hanging up on the frame.

strong mag springs and polishing the underside of the slide has been the best solutions to keep that round from moving too far forward.

Thanks Stu!! Ill work on the underside tonight, i'll re-read that post from CZ forums about what other parts needs to be polished. I'll check the feedlips too while im at it.

I have owned 3 CZ's with the extended mag release (2 current shadows and had a 75b equiped with one), if you slam the mag release hard the other side will actually catch the mag and cause it to get hung up, especially if the rounds have walked forward a bit.

Not slamming the mag release and the 10% mag springs bascially cured the problem.

Unload the gun or take off the slide and push the button hard you will see what I am talking about.

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

Did you also check your mag break? The metal piece inside the frame that is against the mainspring? If it's stock, it has a slight bend to it, could be causing the mag to stick. You can either take it out and bend it so it's flat, or replace with the Stainless Steel mag break that CZ custom sells. Not sure if this is your issue since you're talking about nose diving rounds too, but it's worth taking a look.

Mine wouldn't drop due to the aluminum grips… yet it was intermittent. Most of the time they dropped fine, sometime they didn't, so I had a hard time believing it could be related to the grips. Finally I got pissed and took the dremel and a sanding drum to the appropriate inside portion of them and it hasn't happened since.

Polish the underside of the slide, and you might need to round off the bottom of the breech face as well.

Also be careful of +10 mag springs, they can cause a whole new bunch of problems.