Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BO MAR LEAF QUESTION

Jasonub

Hi guys, i was cleaning my gun and noticed that my bo mar leaf seem to move ever so slightly.

Is this normal? I know it wont affect my accuracy but could you test your bomars and see if the leaf moves even a little?

Thanks for the input. :)

In elevation?

I think it is spring-loaded. Levered around the hinge, spring pressure pushes it up, the elevation screw limites the upward travel (serving as a stop for the spring pressure).

Is it moving like that, or so other way?

Hello Henny,

I've got a replacement for mine on its way too for the same reason.

If you press the blade forward it rocks on the track/dovetail that holds it together. There's not quite a mm of movement, but its not a good look for a precision sight.

P.D.

thanks guys, damn i hate it when these things happen. ill send it to the smith tom. if they cant fix it ill order wilsons from brian.

whats the difference between bomar 1 and 2? does the wilson adjustables fit bomar 1 and 2 slide cuts?

In elevation?

I think it is spring-loaded. Levered around the hinge, spring pressure pushes it up, the elevation screw limites the upward travel (serving as a stop for the spring pressure).

Is it moving like that, or so other way?

it moves side to side too. :angry: it landed on the rear sight a week ago but fell on a wooden floor so i thought it wont be an issue

What *could* be wrong with your BoMars is that the hinge pin hole on the leaf is now oblong. You could pop out the leaf and check. If so, put the hinge pin in and tap it back into place lightly with a hammer and you're good to go. I did that with an old junker set of STI's and they're still attached to my gun...for now. ;)

I've got mine back today,

new hinge pin, no movement in the blade, if it doesn't last my 'smith has a problem. :ph34r:

Sponsored him with at least 10.000 Euro's ($12.000) over the last three years; all spent on SVI's.

DVC, Wile E. (Henny :huh: mad in the head B) )

shmitz.

nice to hear you have no problems. i shot at practice today and alphas are again of no problem. The loose leaf made me shoot charlies last time out, now its only alphas plus a very few charlies :P

I haven't heard of the hinge pin breaking on a real Bo-Mar. The pin is prone to breakage on the Bo-Mar knock-offs (Keng sights--they look identical) used by STI, Baer, Caspian and others. You might check if it's a real Bo-Mar. It will say Bo-Mar on the right side and have the R insignia on the left. It pisses me off that manufacturers sell a $2,000 gun with crappy knock-off sights.

Newguy,

My sight talks to me: it's says Bo-Mar on the right side and has a R on the left side. (It's not a Chingcheng, it's a Bo-mar!!!)

It's sold to me by Maurice Drummen, overhere in the Netherlands he's Saul Kirsch-es gunsmith & mine as well (if you don't know Saul, see: DVD: USPSA Super-Squad 2003, Double Alpha Academy), the sight is fitted onto a SVI (genuine, also no Chingcheng) Maurice replaced the hinge pin twice, last time with another kind of steel.

On 50 yards the gun says I'm an Infinity :wub: .40S&W Grand Prairie, TX, USA.

So, it's the first time for you then, that you hear of a broken genuine Bo-Mar hinge pin.

DVC, H.Th. Schmitz.

mine is definitely original bo mars. i dropped it on the leaf thus it moved. now im not hitting charlies much anymore Just the usual alpha. :P

I had an excuse that i hit deltas or miss plates now i dont :lol::lol::lol:

Any chance you are confusing the leaf with the blade? The blade has the notch. The leaf is the middle part that rides on a spring(s) and is secured by the elevation screw and hinge pin at the front.

Anecdotally, you might be right about Bo-Mars being less prone to breaking hinge pins. I can't say for sure I ever broke one on a genuine BM. However, BMs seem more prone to breaking elevation screws. When a hinge pin breaks, you are generally good for the rest of the stage. (You don't notice it until after the stage, or after the match, unless the broken pieces walk out.) But when the screw breaks, you're lucky if you can salvage an above-zero hit factor.

• 2 weeks later...

My 'smith has a problem, during practice the hingepin came out of the Bo-Mar again. :angry: Big match coming on this weekend.

The new front sight has play in its dovetail, its moving left/right :angry: Any suggestions? Drill a hole thru sight and slide and fit a retaining pin?

Henny :angry:help

Schmitz,

You can certainly drill a hole and stick in a retaining pin (Baer's come standard with that setup). It's the most permanent fix. Or, if it isn't too loose you can try to loctite (red) it in place. You can also use loctite and then a punch to spread it out the sight in the dovetail (not pretty but it works). Lastly, you can try to JB weld it in place--maybe a little too permanent.

In terms of the hinge pin, try using a small punch to flare the ends of the pin. That should stop it from working loose.

Thank you guys for the kind advice.

Drilled a hole thru sight and slide. Retaining pin in, strong as Fort Knox.

Flared the hinge pin with a center.

Of to my next big match on the border Belgium-Netherlands tomorrow!

Thank you, Henny

Over the years I've seen too many hinge pins break on the Bomar, and pretty much every Bomar I've ever seen, after some use, has a wiggly rear blade. It's one of those irritating things that thankfully I forgot about since the Wilson.

be

I really like Bo-mars and have cranked a lot of rounds with them. They do tend to loosen up ( 20k- 30k rounds) but I've found if you remove the blade and ever-so-lightly squeeze the hinge where the blade barrel slides in, you'll tighten the blade right up. I insert a drill bit to act as a stop so I won't crush this. Regarding hinge pins: Take a small sharp punch and stake both sides of the pin and body. The pin can't come out.