Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Mid-Length" Open Gun

MartinLei

A while ago I got a used open gun with a 4.8" barrel and titanium Bedell comp. I like the balance of the gun. Now I want another one with similar balance so I have a similar backup gun. Any suggestion who can build a reliable "mid-length" open gun?

Hi Martin.

Check with Shay at Akai Custom. He's got a dealer forum here and I'm pretty sure he could build you whatever you want. His prices are very reasonable and his lead times are pretty quick. :D

Martin,

You know that I am partial to SVI! Brandon is a magician when you get down to it. :bow: Every time that I have spoken with him, he has taken the time to discuss all aspects, to make sure I was satisfied. I would also look with Shay at Akai Custom! I have heard a lot of good things about him.

The most important thing is take your time and talk with as many as you can. Be comfortable with them and their reputation. :cheers:

Call Brandon at Infinity/SVI. Their IMM Open gun is amazing. It's shoots flatter and cycles quicker than anything I've shot before. It's a true runner.

www.sviguns.com

With this gun, all you have to do is pull the trigger, the gun does the rest!

Hello: Have you tried a full length pistol that has been lightened? You may end up liking it more. I had a shorty 9mm open pistol and then built a 5" light open pistol and like it even more. It reacts just as fast as the shorty but shoots flatter and is softer to shoot. Just a thought for you. Thanks, Eric

Like the other Eric said. If you like the balance & handling of a shorter gun, you will probably enjoy a full-length slide + TI comp. Gives you a more tame-shooting and idiot-proof setup. Not such a delicate balance of mag spring, slide spring, hammer spring, ammo length.

Having said that, the FGW gun looks fabulous. I'd put in my favorite mainspring housing & go shoot that thing today if I could.

I haven't tried lightened full length guns yet. That's a good thought. Watching other guys shooting full length guns I have the impression their guns shoots a bit flatter than mine. My dot is almost off the glass... but that's another topic. I like the balance of mine just because it's closer to my single stack. It's good to have choices. Thanks Eric & Eric.