Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I put together a mainspring housing?

slippp

So I have never taken one apart before, so I'm not quite sure how to put it together...

I searched on this sub forum, as well as all the other ones, and even youtubed it, but couldn't find out how to assemble it.

Here are the parts I bought...

Mainspring cap

Mainspring housing pin

Mainspring housing pin retainer

And I have a 15lb and 17lb mainspring...

I don't actually have the parts with me yet as they are on the way, but I want to be prepared so that I can assemble it and head to the range right when I finish it. I haven't shot in almost 2 months now and I'm really fiending to go :P

What tools do I need?

Thanks guys!

post-9226-0-38742900-1309341488_thumb.jp

1. Assemble the mainspring cap, mainspring, and mainspring retainer then insert into the mainspring housing.

2. Carefully depress the cap far enough to allow you to install the small 1/16 inch pin.

3. Carefully and slowly release the pressure on the spring cap until the pin captures it.

And please, for the love of God, wear safety glasses when you do this. That spring and mainspring cap are under a good amount of tension and will fly good distances at high speed if it slips out of your hand.

post-9226-0-38742900-1309341488_thumb.jp

1. Assemble the mainspring cap, mainspring, and mainspring retainer then insert into the mainspring housing.

2. Carefully depress the cap far enough to allow you to install the small 1/16 inch pin.

3. Carefully and slowly release the pressure on the spring cap until the pin captures it.

Thanks! Do I just slide in the 1/16in pin? Or do I have to punch it in?

What do you recommend I depress the cap with?

And please, for the love of God, wear safety glasses when you do this. That spring and mainspring cap are under a good amount of tension and will fly good distances at high speed if it slips out of your hand.

Safety glasses? What the hell are those? :P

Yes, and put it in a vice if you have one...being careful not to squeeze on the side rails on the MSH.

I can probably use the vice I have at work...

Dawson makes a great DVD detailing the complete breakdown and rebuild of 1911's and 2011's. Worth the price! :cheers:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000889-1198782444

Someone is sponsored by dawson precision... :roflol:

Rubber band the grip safety down so you don't have to chase the sear spring around

I read about this in the installation guide they included with the msh, but my gun is already completely disassembled so it's not an issue at the moment :P

Before you assemble, polish the inside of the MS housing and the outside of the MS. Smooth is always better.

What should I use for that? Also, what exactly am I supposed to polish?

Thanks guys!

Putting the pin punch in a vise (sideways) and pushing the MSH against it works well for me. Once the spring is clear of the pin; just push it in. I've found it easier to control unwanted launches this way.

If you have an archery field tip it works really well to depress mainspring cap. Drill a small hole in your bench for the tip to go into, put retainer, the ms, then cap and depress upside down and install pin. Sounds silly doing it upside down but it works really well.

If you have an archery field tip it works really well to depress mainspring cap. Drill a small hole in your bench for the tip to go into, put retainer, the ms, then cap and depress upside down and install pin. Sounds silly doing it upside down but it works really well.

That works great,upside down. can also find a nail that fits in the cap and drive the nail into a board. Don't forget to put a rubber band around the grip safty to make it easier to change. Should be able to change out in 2min the first time. Will take longer getting everything ready than doing it.

+1 ETexPops, put the punch in a vice then push the mainspring housing into it, then push the retainer pin out with a small punch or paper clip end. Don't forget to remove the punch when your finished to keep from cutting yourself if you hit or brush the punch. I usually polish the cap when changing the spring and put a drop of oil on it.