Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running over pets

Kyle O

Coming home from the gym right at dusk, I saw some cars turn out of a driveway coming my way. Their headlights were hi-beam, so I didn't notice the 2 little dogs chasing the cars until I was on them.

Slammed on brakes, but smooth killed both dogs right in front of the whole family still standing in the yard waving at said cars. I got out and offered my apologies, but the children crying was pretty tough to hear. They knew there was nothing else I could have done, so guess it could've been worse.

I feel your pain.

We live out in the country where animals tend to run around pretty freely. In the last couple years I accidentally ran over the neighbors' cat and my wife hit and killed our other neighbors' dog. Both nice animals. Nice neighbors too, and in both cases they were very understanding, but it still tore us up.

Both my wife and I lost pets that way as kids, and it's something you don't forget.

Sorry, Bro.

This is never easy. Sorry you had to go through that. I was trying to round up the neighbors dog one morning as a kid. He ran away from me, around a car, and right under the wheels of a MacTools truck another neighbor drove. Just sad. Some things just happen I guess.

Blame the owners, not yourself.

+1 tough one for sure but when you live rural, you live with this as a possibility. Our dogs always ran loose, too.

My 18th birthday my dog Mindy was hit in front of our house...the driver (milk man) was real tore up. I never felt any bad toward the guy...just bad.

Edited by -JQ-

Aww Kyle! Sorry to hear that. I've hit dogs and cats both and it's horrible but I agree, it could be worse. You could have hurt yourself trying to avoid them. I lived in the country until about a year ago and I love my critters, but I am also realistic... they're my responsibility to protect. I need to keep them inside a fence and if I don't, I need to be prepared to accept the consequences.

Don't be too hard on yourself; you couldn't avoid it.

Cyber hugs my friend,

Sherry

Well Kyle,

After posting on your thread, I was driving home last night, taking the scenic route and came upon three dogs running after a rabbit right across my line of travel. I had a tailgater behind me so I had no time to stop and nailed the third dog in the procession. I turned back and there he was 30 yds. off the road dying while his buddies watched over him not letting me get too close..

Yeah, it sucks.

JZ

I'll never understand why people let animals they care about run around in the street. I know it's just what people who live in rural areas do, but I can't understand it.

Stinks you had to be the one driving down that road at that particular time.