Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited 2011? or SS 1911?

jarozzy

Ok here is the problem. I might be selling a shotgun (the nicest gun I have) to my cousin, i don't want to but he really likes it so I said ok. I have a personal rule that says "if I sell a gun then the money goes to buy another gun". So that said i am going to buy another gun (hopefully custom or semi custom). My issue is what to get. I am currently shooting a STI Trojan .40 in SS and L10. Should i get a 2011 style Limited/L10 gun or get a nicer 1911 and use the Trojan as a back up. I like the "thought" of limited and the "race" gun involved, but is the competition too hard? Yet i like the "thought" of SS as well. If i did get the 2011 style gun i would still compete in SS when i can. I am not looking for a straight up answer on which one to get i am just asking for peoples thoughts and ideas, yall might come up with an idea that i didn't think of.

thanks

Funny in that I am in the same boat as yo are...shooting a Trojan .40 in L10 and making the financial move to a Limited gun for next year. I'm keeping the Trojan, just love that thing too much, but am going to sell a bunch of other stuff to fund the Limited. A friend had suggested selling off the Trojan, too, and just downloading the Limited mags if I wanted to still do L10, but then I wouldn't have anything for SS.

As far as the competition, from my own perspective, Limited does bump things up a notch. I watch the guys in our local club who shoot Limited and they really are very, very good. However, a friend just switched from Production to Limited (went from G17 to a Dawson Tuned Edge) and commented on how much easier his Limited gun was to shoot. I can also say that my game has improved since switching from a G17 to my Trojan...and that's only the past 4-5 matches! I do think that quality "tools" indeed help...I've seen enough "C" shooters improve rapidly when they have seriously upgraded their gear.

Maybe if we get the same Limited gun, our toys can get a family picture taken! :cheers:

Unless you're an absolutely dyed in the wool SS only shooter, spring for a nice Limited gun and expand your options. If you don't like it, you can always sell it and buy a backup or upgrade for your current SS.

Your SS gun is fine; don't a second single stack gun and duplicate what you already have. If you ever want to upgrade you Trojan you can have some slide work done and refinished for a couple hundred bucks..no need for a new gun. Get a Limited gun and try something new. If you get another 1911 you will probably sell your Trojan and end up buying another gun anyways, but with less money to spend.

Do you want to shoot Limited at all? If so, go for the 2011. If you want to stick with only SS/L10 then buy a nice new SS heater, or better yet, buy a ton of ammo/reloading components and maybe a training class or 2.

If you really want to shot Limited, then go for it. Don't worry about the competition, do what makes you happy and just work on getting better.....but be prepared for the expense. Not only is the gun twice as much, but mags and holsters are three times as much. Ammo can actually be more too, since most SS guys tend to shoot lead and most Limited guys are going to shoot jacketed.

It is not a done deal yet my cousin is trying to come up with the money. I am having a lot of fun in SS, but i have thought someday i would like to try limited. I don't want to let this opportunity to pass, not very often do I have and extra 2-3 thousand dollars to spend on a gun. So i am going to get the limited. If I don't like it I can always sell it. Now I need to figure out who to build it. I can still shoot SS especially while i wait to get it.

Hello: Get the 2011 and don't look back. Once you tried it you will love it as much as your 1911---maybe more :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I definitely agree. After one trip with my Brazos 2011, I am hooked! I still love my 1911s, but that 2011 is a whole different league.