Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Gas Block Adjustment

MickB

Just put on a low profile adjustable JP gas block on a 20" barrel upper.

It's running a standard weight CAR buffer with a Young Super Light carrier (about the same weight as a JP lo mass carrier).

It took 4 and one third turns to get it to cycle with PMC Bronze, which ejected to 4 o'clock.

Winchester M193 ejected to 2-3 o'clock.

JP's instructions say to start two turns out and go half a turn out till the the bolt will hold open on the last round.

I'm wondering how many turns other folk's rifles took. Does 4 and a bit turns open sound typical?

Mick

Edited by MickB

It took 4 and one third turns to get it to cycle with PMC Bronze, which ejected to 4 o'clock.

JP's instructions say to start two turns out and go half a turn out till the the bolt will hold open on the last round.

I'm wondering how many turns other folk's rifles took. Does 4 and a bit turns open sound typical?

Mick

JP recommendations are just starting points. mine i think is 3 turns from close and my other (exactly same config exect for a difference barrel) is 5.5. I think one must find the correct turns for the gun to cycle well.

It's running a standard weight CAR buffer with a Young Super Light carrier (about the same weight as a JP lo mass carrier).

Mick

I just bought a JP Light Mass carrier and set my adjustable gas block last week. It only took me 1 3/4 turns to get the bolt to stay open on an empty mag. I opened it up to 2 1/4 turns from closed just to give me a little cushion. I have shot about 850 rounds of XM193 this week without a hiccup.

• 1 month later...

I had a rifle that I unscrewed the screw all the way out and still did not open the bolt on a empty mag. The gas port hole in the barrel was too small and had to be enlarged. After that it worked great.

Hand an interesting hiccup in my rifle settup. I set my JP gas block/LMOS Carrier with my softest shooting load. No problems after about 100 rounds. First match with it and it choked. I was using my pmag with the Nordic extension with 47 or so rounds in it. Hadn't cleaned the gun before the match either. Now I need to back off on the screw some more to make sure it will run that mag when it's dirty.

I learned with my JP block that what I set it at dry wasn't the same as with loctite on it. Apparently the screw to thread match wasn't real tight and was leaking more gas than I thought. Once it was sealed better with loctite it had a bit more gas than I wanted and had to be readjusted. Just something to think about.

So what about putting some loctite on the screw while removed from the block, letting the loctite dry and then doing the adjustment? Would that be a better way to do it?

I'm getting close to setting my gas screw in place...

Mick

I learned with my JP block that what I set it at dry wasn't the same as with loctite on it. Apparently the screw to thread match wasn't real tight and was leaking more gas than I thought. Once it was sealed better with loctite it had a bit more gas than I wanted and had to be readjusted. Just something to think about.