Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Class with Jerry Miculek

phara

Just took a class with Jerry Miculek. There were twelve of us and we all learned a great deal. We went over trigger cycling, stong hand, weak hand, barricades, plates, man on man, long distance prone shooting, target acquisition/vision, reloading, drawing and more.

It was a two day course. We shot around 700 rounds the first day and about half that the second day (but only because we had several rain delays!).

He's very friendly, laid back, very observant. The real value for me was that after all this shooting and his coaching, I really became aware of what my strengths and weakness are. Now I have specific drills to work on to correct my weaknesses.

And yes, he does reload with the rounds in his strong hand!!!

Highly recommended.

Jerry came to our club in Richmond California this last weekend. It was 350 a person. We decided to put a twelve person limit on class size so that everyone could get some one on one attention. We asked him if he would do it at last years IRC and he agreed. I think you could reach him to put on a class through Clark Custom's website.

Very cool man! Did he mention how he gained the skills to do those super splits? Damn, now I wish I lived over there even more. I guess having him flown over to Europe would be a little too expensive for me ;)

Spook,

I am ashamed to say that nobody thought to ask him that question. Big Dave,

there were no semi-autos in the class. Some of the techniques discussed seem to be applicable to revos more than semi-autos. For example, gripping the gun very tightly to help with recoil control and keeping the hammer and trigger in constant motion.

Actually, some of the advice he gave would work well for production shooters who choose to use DAO guns. Preloading the trigger in between shots, that kind of thing. He did mention how he gets tuned up for specific guns between matches where he either shoots his open wheelgun or open blaster. Everyone there was using a wheelgun that used some kind of moonclip.. except me.. I had to drop back to my backup 686 with speedloaders on Sat due to running out of ammo for my 610. All in all I had a great time and learned quite a bit.. B)

Was it wheel-gunners only or were there any autos in the class?

Jerry did revolvers.

The week before Matt Burkett was out to do two day courses on IDPA and IPSC back to back.

A few weeks before that Mike Voight was out doing three gun.

From what I could tell, every class was full, every one paid in the same range, +/- a hundred or so, everyone shot plenty (perhaps a bit less in MB's class, but the drills and the pointers given more than made up for not dumping lead into the berm) and everybody feels they got their money's worth.

If I shot three gun and revolver, I'd be a grand poorer, but a very happy camper. As it is, MB gave me plenty to work on.

The week before Matt Burkett was out to do two day courses on IDPA and IPSC back to back.

A few weeks before that Mike Voight was out doing three gun.

I :wub: our club, and you guys are the best. WOW! Thanks, I mean it.

PS. It shames me that phara can reload his revolver A LOT smoother than I reload my semi-auto. I have to work on that. :)

About Jerry's class; what were most people using for holsters and did he give any pointers on what to use and what to avoid? I'm asking because I just got a Limcat for my 610 and while it seems as fast as a holster can get, I haven't had a chance to actually use it.

Guninhand,

The majority of the shooters in the class had the standard Safarilands. Two or three including Jerry used the CR speed holster. Here's a link:

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=CRSPREV

Haven't heard of any reviews of the limcat holster for the revolver, although if it functions like Johnny's semi-auto holsters do it is probably great. Most people that have them seem to like them.

The CR speed works very well with the straight up snatch draw. With hands relaxed at sides Jerry draws with kind of a circular up and down motion to come down on the gun from the top. So obviously, the holster works well this way also.