Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 Problems

fueddy

Hi I've been loading pistol for years...used to load 223 4yrs ago. Got back into 3gun and started to load 223 again. But i'am having a problem. Some of the brass/ammo is sticking in the chamber. it will go in but I have to sometimes I have to smack the ext.charging latch and then sometimes even smack the buttstock on the ground and pull the latch to get the rd out.

This is mixed brass all under 1.760in

I've played with the resize die, in and out and still getting problems.

Any and all ideas welcome please!!

Is it sticking going in as well? if so, I'd guess you're not sizing enough.. it's the most common problem.

Do you have a case gauge to check? It will help you set the size die correctly. Most presses have top slighly cam over the sizing operation. But the case gauge will let you know. You don't want to size too much or too little..

This will explain that: (page 7 of the manual)

http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/english/Accessory-Manual-May-2007.pdf

Their not hot loads by any means. 77gr Serria with 22.3gr of 4064 and 55grFMJ with 22grs of 4064. Just doing them by hand and working the bolt some are sticking. I have the DIllion "so they say" FL size die. Need a different die? Years ago I didnt have this problem so maybe its a tighter chamber? I have some new Winchester brass and from the bag it went into the chamber and out no problems(didnt resize or anything)

The rounds aren't sticking going in at all. So I thought maybe the brass was too tall so I did some at multi. lengths and same problem. I have the case gage and maybe I've missed something. So i'll start over using the case gage again and see what happens. Was just using the chamber but still had problems lol Feeling very retarded on this one. THanks for all the help guys.

Edited by fueddy

consider trying this diagnostic trick: use a sharpie to paint one of the cases that sticks. hand cycle it and see where the ink has rubbed off to determine where it's sticking.

Edited by superdude

Their not hot loads by any means. 77gr Serria with 22.3gr of 4064 and 55grFMJ with 22grs of 4064. Just doing them by hand and working the bolt some are sticking. I have the DIllion "so they say" FL size die. Need a different die? Years ago I didnt have this problem so maybe its a tighter chamber? I have some new Winchester brass and from the bag it went into the chamber and out no problems(didnt resize or anything)

The rounds aren't sticking going in at all. So I thought maybe the brass was too tall so I did some at multi. lengths and same problem. I have the case gage and maybe I've missed something. So i'll start over using the case gage again and see what happens. Was just using the chamber but still had problems lol Feeling very retarded on this one. THanks for all the help guys.

Dillon die will allow not fully sized cases to pass. Get the Evoluton Gun Works 5.56 gauge. EVG uses the actual chamber reamers to make the gauge.

Edited by DinosaurMikeGolf

What kind of gun are you shooting them from?

What type of chamber does the gun have?

Is it the same gun that you used to use when you reloaded 223, or a new one?

If it is the same gun, or an older used one, have you cleaned the gas tube?

My thought is that you are maybe sizing for NATO 5.56 dimensions and firing in a SAAMI spec chamber. Without proper headspace, you can see excessive pressures in the case. Check a few factory rounds that have been fired from your gun with a headspace gage. Set up your sizing die so that after sizing the cases are about .004 smaller. This will allow room for the case to expand in your gun, without excessively working the brass.

Also, the Lyman reloading manual states that if you use less than the minimum recommended charge of powder that you can actually see increased pressures (they actually say "dangerously high" page 119 of the 49th ed). They suggest a starting load of 23gr of 4064 for 55gr bullet and 22.2 gr with 77gr bullet.

I also wonder if the gun has had a few thousand rounds through it, or a bunch of blanks, or a bunch of dirty powder? If the gas tube is starting to get buildup, it will increase the pressures in the chamber slightly. One way to rule this out (other than cleaning) would be to go back to your DOPE book and check your zero. If the gun used to shoot right on at your zero and now the same zero is hitting high, it could be build up in the gas tube. That pressure has to go somewhere and the easiest path is pushing the bullet, which increases velocity. Speaking of which, what is the velocity of these rounds when you shoot? Do you have a chronograph to check?

Is this happening with both bullet types, or just one? Are you crimping the rounds in your process? Are you trimming the cases?

I'am having problems with the bullet and without the bullet attached to the brass. Its a CMMG 18inch bbl so I don't think its a super tight chamber. The data I used is from Hodgdon and within their spec's.

That gun years ago was well broke in lol This gun has maybe 1k rounds through it. Well I called Dillion and they said that maybe the sizing die wasn't screwed in enough and that may have been causing the round to sticking in the chamber. I'am going to try going lower and see what happens there. Fingers crossed lol

Edited by fueddy