Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Star problem...

ArmdCtzn

Had to shoot a Texas Star target this weekend with my Benelli M1S90.

Using my usual cheapo Wallyworld shells, I couldn't get all the plates to fall.

I hit them multiple times, but they wouldn't fall. The target was set out

farther than it probably should've been in my opinion. What do you think is

the easiest solution to this problem? I was thinking I need to add some heavier

shells to my bag in case I run into a similar set up again.

thanks!

What choke did you have in the gun, if any? I've seen stars set out at 20-25 yards, and even full choke may not take them of reliably. Also, it seems that the MGM star doesn't release the plates as easily as the original Texas Star.

That said, a box of heavier shells, or at least larger shot isn't a bad thing to have with you.

Pattern your shotgun with various chokes and different shell types is the first step. It may be obvious why your current choke/shell combination won't take down a 6-8" plate. Then if possible go shoot the ammo with the best patten and your 2-3 different chokes at a star or similar sized plates at various distances. This will show you at what distance you need to adjust your load and/or choke setup. When you do your stage breakdown you then setup your choke/ammo combo for the longest/basest target to knock down.

I don't have the luxury of a choke with my M1, so it looks like the idea of

having some heavier rounds in the bag is the way to go.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Was this at Atlanta Gun Club?

Most major matches onlyey you run 6 shot or smaller. Our local club only goes to 7 shot. Get a box or two of some good quality high brass 6's.

Match directors should calibrate a long distance star or any target that is questionable to make sure it is able to be knocked down by the average gun/choke/ammo combo. Usually they use a 21" with an IC or Cyc choke and 8 shot. Big matches always do this sort of thing.

If I remember back to the late 80's, early 90's correctly, those barrels will be a bit thin for Remchokes or Winchokes. I did thread several for TruChokes, the standard version, not the Thinwall.

Save yourself a ton of grief and get that barrel threaded for choke tubes.

I had a similar problem with my M1S90 (no chokes, 18" barrel) with a Texas Star. The stage stated that the pistol or shotgun could be used and I was foolish enough to think I could take it out with my M1. Well, I had to go to my pistol to finish the course, killed my time. Now I have a M2 with a full set of chokes and 24" barrel - I shouldn't have that problem next time :)

Other guys were having similar problems with chokeless short barrels on the star I found out...get the chokes if you can...

Oh crap, somebody saw me! :blush:

Choke is the first thing to try.

The second is to make sure the star is setup properly. It must be leveled left to right and front to back or all the plates will fall or none of them will fall. Local matches often fail to properly place/set steal.

At Atlanta I used a 21" benelli with a light mod choke, 7 1/2 (winchester) wallyworld shells and had no problem.I did see several people hitting the plates but on the edge, that did not take the plate off.

Edited by Rennie

HA! I dont know if I was in your squad but the star has made many a man feel like a fool. Unless its fairly close I dont even think about it. Load up the pheasant loads and go. I have learned this the hard way.

The crazy thing is I have seen people stand and dump 15 plus rounds at it over 30 seconds or more when it gets to the point of taking the points and moving on.

HA! I dont know if I was in your squad but the star has made many a man feel like a fool. Unless its fairly close I dont even think about it. Load up the pheasant loads and go. I have learned this the hard way.

The crazy thing is I have seen people stand and dump 15 plus rounds at it over 30 seconds or more when it gets to the point of taking the points and moving on.

I started that stage with 12 extra shells on my belt thinking I had far more than I'd need. I used everything I had and still had to leave two plates on it. :angry:

20 seconds of FTN

I think Briley can thread your barrel and supply the chokes. It is worth it. At our local matches we have a fairly tough falling Texas Star. I have a Winchester SX3 with a 26" barrel and used my IC choke with #7.5 shot and had a hard time getting them to fall. Anyone with no chokes usually don't have a prayer when it is set back at 20-25 yards. Now it is #6 shot and full brass shells with my Mod choke for the star.

The star is the reason the good Lord made 5 or 4 shot pheasant loads.

I have no problem taking down the star with #8 shot using an improved modified choke at 25 yards. Heavier shot helps but in my experience a tighter choke helps more.

Pat