Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.56 Chamber, 1:7 twist, 16" bbl

stringcheese

Because of the long throat of the 5.56 chamber I looked for a heavy bullet that had a short ogive. I am thinking the speer bullet #1053 here:

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?id=14 might work well for me with the goals I list.

It looks like a bullet I can load short enough to fit in a magazine and with the short ogive still have the jump to the lands be short for accuracy. I am looking for any feedback on this bullet for long range accuracy (600yards). I am shooting a Colt M4 Match Target rifle 16". I am thinking of using Varget powder.

With 55gr PMC loaded ammo the bore seems to foul quickly, I think because of the high twist rate. I was able to shoot a 1" group with the factory iron sights at 100 yards, but the 50 (55?) grain bullet will not carry to 600. Thanks guys!

That bullet has the aerodynamics of a brick! Get some Hornady 75 BTHP, Sierra 77 Match Kings or Nosler 77 Competition bullets.

The Speer bullet will fare worse than the 55 fmj's at distance.

The 3 bullets I referred are all made to work at magazine length.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

That bullet has the aerodynamics of a brick! Get some Hornady 75 BTHP, Sierra 77 Match Kings or Nosler 77 Competition bullets.

The Speer bullet will fare worse than the 55 fmj's at distance.

The 3 bullets I referred are all made to work at magazine length.

Ok. I just fell back to my benchrest thinking. I was taught that the bullet had to nearly touch the lands for best accuracy. I figured the round nose of the Speer bullet would get me there and still hold enough velocity for 600 yards. I am new to small cased cartridges with loose throated oversized chambered barrels, lol.

What are you using for powder? Varget, 4895, 4064....?

Ok. I just fell back to my benchrest thinking. I was taught that the bullet had to nearly touch the lands for best accuracy. I figured the round nose of the Speer bullet would get me there and still hold enough velocity for 600 yards. I am new to small cased cartridges with loose throated oversized chambered barrels, lol.

What are you using for powder? Varget, 4895, 4064....?

I understand you want the most accuracy you can get. The above bullets are pretty forgiving as far a bullet jump. You may find that one brand shoots better than another out of your particular barrel.

As for powder, I normally use Varget for heavier bullets. Alliant's new AR Comp powder might be worth a look when it's available. It's a shorter grain than Varget, and supposedly temperature insensitive.

Plus 1 on the Hornady 75 gr, 77 gr. Sierras. Those and 24 gr of Reloader 15 are good for prairie dogs 800+ yards. Marine competion shooters shoot that load at 1000.

thread drift;

I need to see a video of a 800+ yard prairie dog shot... :lol:

jj

What about just a generic 62gr FMJBT with H322 or H355?

I am just getting into reloading for .223 and that was a combo I have read about.

H335 is great with bullets up to 55, it should work okay with 62's. It's a bit fast for the heavier bullets. Go to Hodgdon's website for loading data. Not that we follow it exactly :rolleyes:

What about just a generic 62gr FMJBT with H322 or H355?

I am just getting into reloading for .223 and that was a combo I have read about.

H335 is great with bullets up to 55, it should work okay with 62's. It's a bit fast for the heavier bullets. Go to Hodgdon's website for loading data. Not that we follow it exactly :rolleyes:

Thanks :) I have a pound of H335 and a pound of H322 and 1000 62 gr .223. I have a 1 in 7 twist barrel so we will see! :D

I have a hard time with prarie dogs at 600 through my 22-250 with a 24X scope.

I had my first chance to shoot my new Colt M4 match target this weekend and with PMC 50grain bullets wAnd as able to produce 1.5" groups with the factory iron sights. Disappointment was real after the bbl fouled after 7 to 9 shots. The light bullet over fouled thebbbl quickly and the rifle began scattering rounds to abour a 5" group. After a quick swab accuracy returned. I blame the short, light bullets grinding against the lands instead of engaging them. The PMC, el cheapo, ammunition seemed to have a very dirty powder and felt like it was of poor quality. I contribute this to my supurb then poor accuracy.

Each string of fire was a slow 3 shot group, then a wet (hoppes #9) patch, and 3 to 5 dry patches. The clean bore shot well above my expectations. I am still confused about the premature fouling of the barrel. Usually a barrel takes 1000+ rounds before fouling affects accuracy. This is my first high twist barrel, so assume it is the twist rate that is messing with my zen????

• 4 weeks later...

Go with a BTHP match bullet 73-77 for magazine Midrange work. Laupa are the best in my oppinion but are expensive. Sierras are great bullets and Bergers; which now cost what sierras do. Try RL-15 with rem 71/2 primers and go from there. Trim cases and dont crimp.

I have had similar experiences with 45gr bullets in a 1-8 twist barrel...initially decent accuracy, then could barely hit the target at 100 yards after a few rounds. I switched to my 68 gr hornady's and then sub moa (without cleaning btw). Light bullets typically do not work well in high twist barrels.

If you do a quick google search and pick the ammo.AR15.com, they have a good Q&A about twist rates and bullet weights. (I tried to post the link, but I guess I am too new...but the search will get it for you)

Edited by Blackhawk_44SPL

• 2 weeks later...

good for prairie dogs 800+ yards.

thread drift;

I need to see a video of a 800+ yard prairie dog shot... :lol:

I was thinkin' the same thing. :wacko:

It's not unheard of. Ever read "The Varmint Hunter" mag? I've taken them at 600 with a 17 Mach IV, but it takes a big dose of luck and lots of cooperation from mother nature!