Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SR1911 issue

hankfan79

I did a small search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have noticed on this new pistol that when a fully loaded (8rd) magazine is inserted, it takes a tremendous amount of force to press the mag release. The amount of force required to release it then causes you to press it too far and the mag hangs in the magwell. I first noticed it with the factory 8rd mag (which is made by checkmate). After that, I tried all of my Wilson Combat mags and every single one of them were the same way so I assuming its something to do with the gun and not the mags.

*Note that is doesn't have this problem with 7rds in the mag. There is that distinctive "click" which is what I am looking for. If anyone has an idea of what is causing this, how to fix it, or if the search police can find a thread, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Might have to in case of malfunction. Better safe than sorry. One can afford such time loss in EX class...but not in MA. :D

It is supposed to run with a full magazine therefore it should. Would you buy a V8 that ran on only 7 cylinders? I think not.

Edited by hankfan79

FWIW Ruger has been putting junk lately I got one of their new LC9 pistols shot 7 rounds and the firing pin broke. My dealer gave me a full refund on the spot. I also had one of their new Mini 14's it would not run either had to send it back to the factory to get it to work right. It all worked out in the end but, when you buy a new gun it should run. You have an easy fix just take a small amount off the top of the mag catch so it is not forcing the mag up so hard. Good luck in your endeavors. :cheers:

Okay, I'm confused. You are loading a full 8 round magazine and then hitting the mag release to eject it. Have you charged the handgun after you have loaded the magazine, or are you simply loading it and ejecting it?

If an empty 8 round mag failed to drop, or it failed to drop after you charged the handgun then I could see a problem. It just seems that you are seeing a problem where there is none, but I could be missing something. :blink:

What did you expect from an off brand pot metal gun? :roflol: Get a Kimber.

Now that's funny Joe. You couldn't talk me into getting a Kimber.

I figure I would go ahead and get this one since it's new to the market. No bad reputation (yet) like Kimber has in many areas.

Don't get me wrong guys, the gun runs. It's just extremely hard to release a full mag. Regardless of opinion, this is not normal. I was just curious if there was a quick fix. It seems that ordering a new one is in order to get my desired results.

I have seen this a few times with production 1911's. 8 rd mags when seated exert a lot of pressure downward onto the top of the tab where the mag catches. Generally a touch of polishing or a tiny bit of material removal with a stone or file then polish will cure this. With use it may also fix it self enough to not be a bother.

The magazine catch contacts & can trapthe magazine when it is completely depressed. This may prevent the magazine from dropping until some of the pressure on the mag catch button is released. To stop this issue simply relieve (file off) some of the magazine catch inner surface where it contacts. If you are not comfortable taking a file to your pistol 10-8 Performance sells a properly sized & pre-relieved magazine catch.

Bob

Edited by Quick Draw McGraw

It happens both times. Doesn't matter if it is charged or not. It reacts the same way when loaded with a 8rd mag.

Okay, now I see the problem. I did not understand the situation fully from the earlier posts.

Wes, bring it with you next time we will be at match together and I will fix it. Forgot to mention I have had 10+ Kimbers. No problems with any of them. There are 2 .45s and a 9mm/.40 in my safe right now.

Edited by Joe D

Joe,

I have known for years that you were a Kimber fan. I had a pissing match with Kimber from years ago. Swore off their product ever since. Did the same with Springfield and their "custom shop". I will not buy there products unless I buy one from an individual for CHEAP.

as with any FACTORY 1911 it will need some minor improvements to keep the owner satisfied. brand doesnt matter. stop and think about what the ruger price is. do you really think you are going to buy a new 1911 for that price and it be 100%? i think not. although if the mag catch is the only problem it can easily be replaced with a decent one for $35.00 or so and a little polishing then the problem is solved. still an inexpensive 1911 after the mod. just an idea.

Wes, I had an issue with one of the Springfield owners and Rob Leatham one night at an indoor range in Atlanta. I had one of the first 9mm Loaded guns. It would not feed. It was pretty obvious to me that the feed ramp angle was wrong. After sending it back twice the owner offered to swap it for a Custom Shop .45. It was no good either. OTOH he did the right thing and gave me my money back.

I will never buy another Springfield.

Edited by Joe D