Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to tell when a barrel is going.

vluc

I have never heard of a Glock barrel wearing out. I have worked on Glocks, in a rental fleet, with over 500,000 rounds through them - still shooting fine. My old G35 had well over 100,000 through it. No accuracy issues at all.

Bang.....bang.....bang is fine. Bang, bang, bang, bang is when it seems to happen.

I remember how hot my gun would get from Titegroup, do you think the rapid fire is getting the barrel hot enough to deteriorate the spin on the bullet?

Could very well be the case, but I just shot a match today (2x) with the new barrel in the gun. Zero problems, accuracy excellent in the new barrel. As I said before, this barrel is the only one that seems to have issues. All the rest of my Glocks run like they should.

That old barrel has been retired.

Is there any chance you bulged your old barrel? Reason I ask is my wife must have had a squib at some point and bulged hers. I noticed she started having bullets that tumbled. Sure enough there was a small bulge in her barrel.

Is there any chance you bulged your old barrel? Reason I ask is my wife must have had a squib at some point and bulged hers. I noticed she started having bullets that tumbled. Sure enough there was a small bulge in her barrel.

I can check for that, but it ran for 2 years with no problems.

I'm also curious to see what you find out. I ran a G17 for quite a while with the stock barrel before replacing it with a KKM, but had more issues with that barrel and my reloads - I was reloading 9mm for two different guns that ran the same recipe, but the KKM changed that and it became a bigger hassle to keep changing settings. So, I went back to the stock barrel...had a crimping/keyhole issue, but fixed it and good as new...but nothing like what you are seeing.

This is puzzling for sure. I must have 20-30K thru my G34... and I can't recall the last time a cleaned the barrel!!! I only use Berrys for the most part which are soft and copper plated. I also use 231. I know Titegroup burns hot... maybe that could be some of the issue if it is wear??? I see so many people switch out the Glock barrels- unless you really want to shoot lead I'll never understand why.. they are great out of the box.

Sorry to thread-jack but what load are you using with the Berry's? I have three pounds of 231 but the Hornady book doesn't have any 9mm loads for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar experience with a stock G34 barrel, had about 30K rounds through it when it trouble started. Could not put 5 out of 5 rounds on paper at 40 yards off a rest. Bought a KKM smith fit barrel, after it was fit gun started grouping as expected at 40 yards. Not sure what caused the issue, but did not want to compete at major matches when I could not trust the gun, so made the change.

• 4 weeks later...

This is puzzling for sure. I must have 20-30K thru my G34... and I can't recall the last time a cleaned the barrel!!! I only use Berrys for the most part which are soft and copper plated. I also use 231. I know Titegroup burns hot... maybe that could be some of the issue if it is wear??? I see so many people switch out the Glock barrels- unless you really want to shoot lead I'll never understand why.. they are great out of the box.

Sorry to thread-jack but what load are you using with the Berry's? I have three pounds of 231 but the Hornady book doesn't have any 9mm loads for it.

lugnut goes into more detail on a similar thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133509