Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shotgun target scoring

I'm preparing for my first multi-gun match this weekend and had a question about paper targets in shotgun stages. Do slug targets usually require one or two hits and how are buckshot targets scored.......best two pellets?

I'm preparing for my first multi-gun match this weekend and had a question about paper targets in shotgun stages. Do slug targets usually require one or two hits and how are buckshot targets scored.......best two pellets?

Buckshot is generally not used and definately not on paper. I tried that at a Match I ran once and its a mess to score and tears up targets fast.

Pat

Buckshot is generally not used and definately not on paper. I tried that at a Match I ran once and its a mess to score and tears up targets fast.

Pat

You can use a A4 target that you just print on a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper and replace it for each shooter. No taping necessary.

Doug

Some of the more International slanted matches (Trapr's plus others) do use buckshot on paper, and it is best 2 hits. But most good matches that do so will put wood on the back of the targets, or put them at far enough distance that it's just like shooting it with a pistol 9 times, and it tapes just fine!

However, buckshot on headshots only can get messy!

Denise

I feel that there should be more use of buck in matches, our sport does have some roots in "practical" shooting and buck is a practical use of the shotgun. It adds another dimension to the ways to challenge the shooter on a stage. Plus it's fun to shoot!

I feel that there should be more use of buck in matches, our sport does have some roots in "practical" shooting and buck is a practical use of the shotgun. It adds another dimension to the ways to challenge the shooter on a stage. Plus it's fun to shoot!

Totally agree! I used quite a bit at Iron Man. Also have incorporated its use in the local MG matches. Buckshot on movers...now there is a new trick no-one has put in a major match yet.

USPSA requires 2 slugs on target. Outlaw match ...... score it how you want. Our local match A zone is plus nothing, C is plus 1.5 seconds, and D is plus 3.

Actually USPSA requires whatever the course description says. Mosty just one but sometimes 2.