Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major --- WSF

Beladran

I was told to try WSF for 9major but I cant seem to find any mention on this sight about using it in 9major.. I fairly trust the guy and im pretty sure he doesn't wanna blow me up but I would still like to know if anyone has used it befor I drop the hammer on one..

I wouldn't - it takes a lot of pressure to make major with WSF.

Not impossible but it's a lot easier with Autocomp or HS-6.

Check out the 9mm major thread.

Edited by DyNo!

i have autocomp and powerpistol in my powder inventory. Maybe its just me but it seems like the muzzle blast off of PP is like getting punched in the face.. Thanks for the tips

i have autocomp and powerpistol in my powder inventory. Maybe its just me but it seems like the muzzle blast off of PP is like getting punched in the face.. Thanks for the tips

Yeah, the first time I shot PP, I was like, "what the crap??". I thought I had overloaded it but after checking the cases, checking my powder, checking the chrono, and just the general feel, I assumed it was just the nature of the powder. Still one of my favorites, especially with heavy Major rounds (9mm 147). I got use to it after a while and still use it sometimes...

Here is a post from a guy who actually tried it and got 166 PF the first time. Still, I don't think I would try it but it's up to you. I would recommend HS-6, Power Pistol, WAC, or Silhouette.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128746&st=0&p=1460977&hl=+wsf%20+9mm%20+major&fromsearch=1entry1460977

I did get about 166 from 7.3gr, but that's over what most people are using. I was initially told 6.7gr under a 125gr zero JHP at 1.145 would get major but it didn't get there for me. I needed more powder but another barrel might not. 7.3gr could be way too much for some guns. I'm actually up at 7.7gr and it's soft but still too flippy. I'm about done with WSF for now and will try HS6 and Autocomp next.

I used 6.8 grains of WSF over a 125 grain Zero JHP at 1.145 OAL out of a Glock 17 open gun with a KKM barrel and Jaeger 4 port comp. That load made a 172 power factor over the chrono at the 2009 Area 1 match in June in Idaho and was a very nice load to shoot. The "feel" was better than Silhouette, which I now use. However, WSF is notoriously reverse temperature sensitive to the extreme. You can experience large swings in velocity and pressure depending on the air temperature. A WSF load that makes a 170 pf at 75 degrees might just be a disaster looking for a place to happen at or below 30 degrees. It almost pays to develop a summer and a winter load if that is your powder of choice. One local shooter I know quit using it in 9 major for exactly that reason. He loaded ahead during the cooler months and the loads chrono'ed with a comfortable margin at major - went to Arizona for a match and barely eked out major at just over 165 pf.

However, WSF is notoriously reverse temperature sensitive to the extreme. You can experience large swings in velocity and pressure depending on the air temperature. A WSF load that makes a 170 pf at 75 degrees might just be a disaster looking for a place to happen at or below 30 degrees. It almost pays to develop a summer and a winter load if that is your powder of choice. One local shooter I know quit using it in 9 major for exactly that reason. He loaded ahead during the cooler months and the loads chrono'ed with a comfortable margin at major - went to Arizona for a match and barely eked out major at just over 165 pf.

+1

Very - very accurate statement.

(Except, I went Minor at 3G Nats.. 164.8 pf.) :devil:

+2

Very reverse temperature sensative.

I got 172~176 PF at 40 degrees and 161 PF at 95 degrees :surprise:

I switched to Silhouette and 115 grain bullets.

+3 Load that was a comfy 172 PF at 60° went 165.nuthin' at Area 2 at 85°.

No idea WHAT it would do at 32°, but I'll bet it would be scary high.

HS-6 or AutoComp---I get a better dot track with the AutoComp. YMMV

+2

You jumped from the frying pan into the fire. :devil: Silhouette is wonderful in 9 major, however very reverse temp sensative. My summer load is 7.6 gr SPM, winter 7.4gr. A 170 pf at 95 will turn into 184pf at 45. Silhouette is funky dirty like oatmeal, however, SPM's light it up and it is a lot cleaner.

AutoComp and HS6 are good alternates, 3N38 for those that need a BL of gas, I've also run AA#7 (10gr /124gr), this makes lot oo0h gas as well, again Dirty and Cheap. Lots of powder takes lots of OAL 1.180-1.190.

+2

You jumped from the frying pan into the fire. :devil: Silhouette is wonderful in 9 major, however very reverse temp sensative. My summer load is 7.6 gr SPM, winter 7.4gr. A 170 pf at 95 will turn into 184pf at 45. Silhouette is funky dirty like oatmeal, however, SPM's light it up and it is a lot cleaner.

AutoComp and HS6 are good alternates, 3N38 for those that need a BL of gas, I've also run AA#7 (10gr /124gr), this makes lot oo0h gas as well, again Dirty and Cheap. Lots of powder takes lots of OAL 1.180-1.190.

I agree about staying in the fire but, with Silhouette I don't think the fire is quite as hot. I have seen 184PF at 30 degrees and only about 178 around 45-50 degrees. I don't shoot much at the lower temps so I have attempted to stay with one load and ride the waves. I can't tell the difference on the back side of the gun and the dot tracks the same.

I think the 115 grain bullet gives a little more wiggle room and the PF doesn't spike as bad when it gets real cold outside and it still makes major when it gets to 100 degrees, like A3 last year and DT this year.

95% of my shooting is at 60+ degrees so the PF will run from a high of 176 down to about 170. Around 80 degrees will get me right on 172.5 and that is where I like to be. I just hate to have different loads because I will invariably have the wrong one in my range bag.

I am loading relatively short at 1.145 for the Zero bullet and 1.150 with MG but, it is working for me. I'm also working my way through a butt load of Wolf SR primers and they seem to be doing a very good job. Gun is not dirty and very little powder residue.

+2

I agree about staying in the fire but, with Silhouette I don't think the fire is quite as hot. I have seen 184PF at 30 degrees and only about 178 around 45-50 degrees. I don't shoot much at the lower temps so I have attempted to stay with one load and ride the waves. I can't tell the difference on the back side of the gun and the dot tracks the same.

I think the 115 grain bullet gives a little more wiggle room and the PF doesn't spike as bad when it gets real cold outside and it still makes major when it gets to 100 degrees, like A3 last year and DT this year.

95% of my shooting is at 60+ degrees so the PF will run from a high of 176 down to about 170. Around 80 degrees will get me right on 172.5 and that is where I like to be. I just hate to have different loads because I will invariably have the wrong one in my range bag.

I am loading relatively short at 1.145 for the Zero bullet and 1.150 with MG but, it is working for me. I'm also working my way through a butt load of Wolf SR primers and they seem to be doing a very good job. Gun is not dirty and very little powder residue.

I'm working thru another 16#'s Silhouette, I like it the best just wanted you to know its got temp issues, just in case. The SR primers are about like pistol magnum primers in intensity just maybe a bit harder. I tried th 115's in a couple of my guns and the accuracy wasn't there, I have one I put a Schuemann 1/32 twist in just have not had a chance to try 115's in it. If you need more gas 115's help you get there, my guns are over compensated so I can run about anything, and it shoots good. I run the MTG 124 CMJ's at 1.165, a JHP can only go to 1.145. My other two guns have been deep throated to take JHP's to 1.180+. Most of my shooting is 90+ but the Gator is always cooler.