Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tricks of the trade to lining up new rear sights?

Cira

I'm changing my rear sights on a Glock 17. This is my first set I've changed but I spring for a MGW sight tool. Is there any trick to lining up the rear sight on the slide? I've been trying to eye ball it, use my micrometer and everything to get it in the middle but there's really no good point of reference that you can place your micrometer jaw against. It looked close but I shot it today and it was 1" left at 15 yards. Trial and error or is there a trick to it? Also, is it possible that even if I have them lined up on the slide that they could still be off bore? How do the pros do this?

It should be located so the gun shoots point of aim not just centered in the slide. You need to take it out to the range and shoot and adjust until it shoots where you point it. Just because its centered doesn't mean it will shoot point of aim.

It sounds like you've already taken the old sight off. Your best bet would be to take measurements on the old sight before removal, and use these measuremente on the new sight. Even if the sights are different widths, you can calculate to the center of the notch for each sight.

I use a dial indicator on a small surface plate.

11m7FjokqNL._SL500_.jpg

Me thinks you are overthinking this.... take the sight tool to the range with you, make adjustments to what works and drive on. Don't be concerned if the sight is off center.

Edited by whistlepig

I use a universal bore sight laser . I push the new sight on. Then, reassemble the upper (barrel, recoil rod/spring). I then use the laser to check the sight location. This has worked perfectly for 4 Glocks, and gives me a very precise idea of poa / poi at different distances. Then go to a range and verify!

Over the years I've used Scott's indicator method, an edge finder in the mill, a depth mic held against the slide and my eyeballs to look for center. All will get you close - but in the end you've gotta shoot it and go from there.

I'm changing my rear sights on a Glock 17. This is my first set I've changed but I spring for a MGW sight tool. Is there any trick to lining up the rear sight on the slide? I've been trying to eye ball it, use my micrometer and everything to get it in the middle but there's really no good point of reference that you can place your micrometer jaw against. It looked close but I shot it today and it was 1" left at 15 yards. Trial and error or is there a trick to it? Also, is it possible that even if I have them lined up on the slide that they could still be off bore? How do the pros do this?

this is the exact thing that your high school math teacher was talking about when (s)he said that you would need math skills for in the future.

measure your sight radius (front sight to back sight). how many sight radii in 15 yards? you know you're 1 inch off at 15 yards. do a little math to figure out how far to move the rear sight. (then be sure to thank your math teacher)

(no, i'm not going to do the math for you! feel free to do the calcs in Excel if you're a math hater like me)

i solved a similar problem with math when trying to determine what the height of the front sight should be if the impact was xxx inches high/low (with a fixed rear sight). math actually works! (don't tell anybody i said that)

I just center mine by eye and then by micrometer. This method has worked well for 7 Glocks so far. I haven't needed to adjust any of them at the range. I guess that I've just been lucky. :unsure:

My point is that if your gun is sighted in before you remove the old rear sight, there is no reason the new rear sight can't be installed in the correct position.

I've done this before and gone straight to a match with no concerns about having to sight in the gun.