Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass ejection pattern for 10mm Limited?

kwesi

I'm still considering replacing my G20 with a Limited. I'm wondering if I'll be able to retrieve 10mm brass. What is the ejection pattern? My friends 40 S&W flys out at about 1:00 and 30 feet +. Since I shoot at an indoor range I'm concerned.

The 10mm EAA pistols send the brass flying at the same trajectory as your buddies 40, but even further due to the higher slide velocity. You can change how far the bass gets tossed by shortening the ejector prong. But right out of the box the brass will get launched really far.

The 10mm EAA pistols send the brass flying at the same trajectory as your buddies 40, but even further due to the higher slide velocity. You can change how far the bass gets tossed by shortening the ejector prong. But right out of the box the brass will get launched really far.

I understand the pin shortening but can anything be done to change the trajectory? If I can't retrieve my brass, indoor range, then that would eliminate the Limited, dang!

You can change springs to match your load, work on the ejector and set the gun to make the brass all land in the same place as long as the gun stays in the same place.

But none of this will help much if you are on a concrete floor, the brass will hit and bounce and slide.

Leonard

Skydiver> Every gun is different so I don't have a recommendation of how much to cut off the ejector prong. All you can do is take some off, test fire it, then take some more off until its tossing the brass how you like it.

kwesi> You can change the trajectory of the brass by modifying the angle on the tip of the ejector prong. Play with different angles to see how the trajectory changes.

For me I would rather launch the brass across the room and have 100% reliable ejection verses ejecting the brass closer and have it jam. The goal should be maximum reliability while shooting. Not risk reliability in order to make a nice little brass pile next to you.

I agree whit Cha-Lee. I am on my second Witness in 40, and it has been pretty easy to change how and where the brass lands. first thing's firts, the 40's and 10's are undersprung. So a heavier recoil spring is in order. After that its all in adjusting the tip of the ejector.

A guy on my local board shoots some crazy hot 10mm loads out of his Witness. He is running a Sprinco, and has brought his ejector all the way down to .362 (see pic). I would not go that short right off the bat obviously, but take .020-.030" off at a time. Adjusting the ejector tip is easy. You can adjust it so your brass goes right where you want it depending on the angles.

394945_Super_Eject4.jpg

[quote name='CHA-LEE' timestamp='1306438153' post='1462623' For me I would rather launch the brass across the room and have 100% reliable ejection verses ejecting the brass closer and have it jam. The goal should be maximum reliability while shooting. Not risk reliability in order to make a nice little brass pile next to you.

Cha-Lee: I agree and that is what I have out of my G20. I reload my brass and shoot inside. If your not concerned about picking up your 10mm brass then I assume you don't reload. The brass is not inexpensive and rarely do you find any lying around. I would have thought Henning or some other company would have designed one for the reloaders, maybe not. Thanks again for everyone's comments.

I have no problems with reliability, I carry a Witness in 40 every day, but obviously I have not modified either of mine as agressively as pictured. If you just take .020-.030 at a time you should not have a problem. The big difference would be if you are running some hot loads, and some factory loads. If you modded the ejector just for hot loads you might have trouble with factory loads. if you mod just for factory loads, you may still be chasing your brass 30yds with hot loads.

Edited by JJH

I have no problems with reliability, I carry a Witness in 40 every day, but obviously I have not modified either of mine as agressively as pictured. If you just take .020-.030 at a time you should not have a problem. The big difference would be if you are running some hot loads, and some factory loads. If you modded the ejector just for hot loads you might have trouble with factory loads. if you mod just for factory loads, you may still be chasing your brass 30yds with hot loads.

I shoot my own loads mostly 1200 - 1300 fps so if we could adjust it with 100% reliability all would be fine.

I don't understand the big deal is about this. If you want to change the brass ejection distance shorten the length of the ejector prong. If you go to far and start to get failure to eject jams then get a new sear cage and start over. Is it really that hard to make this simple change on your own? Why would someone take the time to resell a sear cage with a shorter ejector prong when you can do it yourself in less than 2 minutes with nothing more needed than a metal file?

I don't understand the big deal is about this. If you want to change the brass ejection distance shorten the length of the ejector prong. If you go to far and start to get failure to eject jams then get a new sear cage and start over. Is it really that hard to make this simple change on your own? Why would someone take the time to resell a sear cage with a shorter ejector prong when you can do it yourself in less than 2 minutes with nothing more needed than a metal file?

I must not be communicating this too well. I don't feel comfortable spending $1,000+ on a gun that I might not be able to adjust the direction the brass is heading, not just the distance. I called and spoke to Henning and he even told me that it is not so easy to accomplish, if at all. It simply comes down to the fact that I want to pick up most of my brass to reload. Sorry if this does not explain my reason for posting. Thanks for all your assistance!

Yeah you can't change the ejection angle, but you can reduce the distance. It would be hard to mess this up so it fails to eject. I just took my dremel and ground a bunch off the pin. I still need to do more though as it still tosses the brass a long ways

From my 10mm Match this is what I found

Full power 10mm loads with stock springs = low earth orbit

Full power 10mm loads with 22lb wolf recoil spring = slightly lower earth orbit

175 powerfactor loads with ejector trimmed about 1/8" brass goes at 4:00 40+ feet ( I have had people return my brass to me from the next bay over because it was throwing it over the berm)

Changed Barrel to a 40sw and ran the same bullets as the 175 pf 10mm load at the same velocity with the same powder and the brass now goes about 15' at 4:00

Strange but true I belive it has something to do with the lenght of the 10mm brass and the diference in its center of mass from the 40 sw brass as it gets spun out of the extractor by the ejector.

Mike

• 2 years later...

I picked up a new Limited 10mm and first time out it really slung the brass plus put a ugly hit into the brass. I know others have shortened these to remedy the effect since Tanfoglio uses one size to do from .22LR-.45ACP. My other Limited 9mm just dribbles the brass out not even a foot away with the same ejector. Not the case for the 10mm and this one is the worst so far! Yesterday was my first visit since taking the sharp point off and cutting it down just a little. No nasty marks and instead of 30' it was about 25' and still on the concrete instead of the dirt!

Stock 9mm Limited ejector left and 10mm Limited ejector first cut on the right

1237824_592630950774941_1758278956_n.jpg

Someone went extreme on one but didn't hear the actual results

394945_Super_Eject4.jpg

My plan is to get some PPU and keep chopping it down until that dribbles out. Should be the weakest load that will still need to eject properly.