Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The unbearable wait...

BayouSlide

For the last couple of days, my pal Mollie hasn't been her lively self. When she showed no interest in food this morning...totally out of character...I grew worried and got her to the vet.

After a blood test, the vet said her liver has been damaged by some sort of environmental poison and that her response to meds and IV in the next 24 hours will indicate whether she will make it. The vet guesses she has a 50-50 chance.

A stray who showed up on my doorstep with a broken leg and heartworms, she has been a delight in our lives for the past 2 1/2 years, not nearly long enough in the grand scheme of themes.

I knew one day I would lose her, but I'm not ready for that day.

So now we wait.

Thought I'd share a picture of her on the trail to Wetterhorn in Colorado the first year we spent together. We're going back to Colorado in August and more than anything I want to have Mollie with us on that trip.

Curtis

post-9477-001840300 1306345752_thumb.jpg

Just back from the vet...she's a little antsy and passing lots of fluid but seems to be doing OK. Probably just wishful thinking but her gums and eyes seem a little less yellow than early this morning...she'll get her second dose of IV at the end of the afternoon. Rather than leave her overnight, the vet agreed to let us take her home and bring her back first thing in the a.m. for more meds and a blood test to see how's she responding.

It's heartbreakingly tough to face this...thanks for letting me share with y'all. Hoping for a good outcome despite the odds...if any dog could beat this, I'd put money on Mollie...probably should've named her Moxie.

For all you dog owners...liver problems from poisoning or other forms of toxicity are all too common.

Watch out for:

• vomiting and/or diarrhea

• lethargy

• decreased appetite

• increased thirst and urination (urine darker yellow than normal)

• yellow in the eyes and gums

I noticed the first four and wish I had even acted sooner. The sooner you get your dog to the vet, the better.

Curtis

Sorry to hear about Mollie :(

Good thing you took her in early to maximize a full recovery.

My Dobe's liver failed & we had to put her down a few years back. It was a horrible & fast killer.

Hope she makes a fast comeback!!!

So many of us have traveled this path before, your kind thoughts mean a lot to me.

From your lips to God's ears...and I hope tomorrow brings some good news.

I promise to keep y'all posted.

Until then, there's a spot on the couch close beside me waiting for her this evening.

Curtis

The IVs definitely perked her up yesterday, but the bloodwork is still showing critical levels of liver problems. It's only small consolation that the vets are taken aback that the feisty little dog in front of them is the one with the lousy lab report.

The odds are still stacked against her, but it's too early to tell...two to three more days of IV and meds to see if the liver is too damaged to recover. And from what I've read, even dogs that survive the onset end up succumbing from liver damage a month later because the healing liver can develop fibrous tissue that undermines it's function.

I'm trying to steel my heart for the possible loss of the best dog I've ever had but my emotions continue to tear me apart.

It is highly likely that a sago palm in the corner of our yard was the source of the poisoning...she possibly ingested some bark, pulp or leaves overlooked when we removed some of the plant this weekend. These ubiquitous ornamentals are deadly to animals and even kids...wish I had torn that thing out of the ground long ago and scorched the place where it grew to remove any vestige of it.

Looking forward to picking her up at 5 p.m. so she can spend the evening at home with us.

Curtis

Curtis, I'm so sorry this happened to you and your family, I pray Mollie pulls through.

I had no idea sago palms were deadly, I have 5 in my yard, thank God Tasha has never messed with them, and won't be able to here shortly

Curtis, I'm so sorry this happened to you and your family, I pray Mollie pulls through.

I had no idea sago palms were deadly, I have 5 in my yard, thank God Tasha has never messed with them, and won't be able to here shortly

Get rid of 'em ASAP, Joe...The one in our yard never caused problems in 2 1/2 years but now I understand it's not worth the risk to have even one around if you love your pets. As now I understand it, they contain a cyanide type compound: the seeds are incredibly deadly, but the leaves and the rest of the plant are extremely poisonous and have a flavor that is enticing to dogs...a bad combination that, depending upon what they chew on or ingest, can kill in a few hours. Smaller amounts can cause the sort of damage Mollie is facing. We knew they were dangerous, just not how dangerous, and never expected the circumstances that would put our pet at risk.

I'm hoping at least someone else will benefit from this painfully-earned knowledge.

Sagos are common in the south but are often seen now in the north as well as houseplants, from what I understand.

This link to the LSU Ag Center has a video for those unfamilar with what these plants look like:

http://text.lsuagcenter.com/news_archive/2010/january/get_it_growing/Popular-sago-palm-produces-poisonous-seeds-.htm

Curtis

Had the same thing happen to my lil buddy a couple weeks ago. No appetite, no water, no energy and a high fever. He got into something in the woods and it didn't look good. Luckily he pulled through with meds and the IV after a week. I know exactly what ur going through and hope it works out for u too.

Had the same thing happen to my lil buddy a couple weeks ago. No appetite, no water, no energy and a high fever. He got into something in the woods and it didn't look good. Luckily he pulled through with meds and the IV after a week. I know exactly what ur going through and hope it works out for u too.

Our thoughts are with you,

Rich and Tam

&

Dusty, Gypsy, and Rainbow

Mollie went back to the vet after this morning...she was so happy to be home again last night she was jumping in a circle and barking.

It seemed like I held my breath for an hour this morning before we got the call on her morning test results. Our vet is now more optimistic...her blood tests are finally starting to show improvement across the board. For the first time in days I can allow myself to feel hopeful that we will weather this crisis. More IVs today, another assessment tomorrow.

I'm hoping this weekend I can shift the next update into "Things I Like".

A person never fully comprehends the depth of their love until facing the imminent possibility of losing it forever.

I truly appreciate the kind wishes from the BEnoverse.

Curtis