Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun accuracy woes help?

Alaskapopo

I usually do fairly good at the longer stanges and a few matches back I had a D hit at 35 yards that I did not call so I decided to check my long range zero and group ability with my Caspian in 38 super comp. Much to my horror the groups were about the size of a paper plate at 50 yards. I can do much better with my limited gun off hand. I was wondering if I should try larger bullets. I am using .355 Montana Gold 124 grain CMJ's right now. In the worst case if I need a new barrel how much will that cost me and who do you guys recommend for that kind of work. Here is the gun. I know why I got such a good deal on it now. Its fine for most USPSA club matches up here because ranges are usually inside of 25 yards. But past that its kind of worrysome.

Caspian.jpg

Hello: Another thing to try is some 115 grain JHP's also. Pushing them faster my help also. Take a look at your barrel near the chamber end to see if there is some erosion. You may also check your scope mount and adjustment screws. Thanks, Eric

• 2 months later...

Caspiangroup.jpg

Problem is fixed all it took was trying 124 grain Montana Gold JHP's instead of the CMJ's or the Winchester FMJ's I was using. I shot the group above off hand at 53 yards. (I paced it then lasered it and found my strides were too big)

Only problem I have not is one of my big sticks that I got from higher capacity mags does not work with JHP's just FMJ's

My CMJ load groups worse at 25 than the JHP's do at 50 in my gun.

Pat

You should come up and shoot this weekend, I have a long range stage planned Saturday and a Special Qualifier match on Sunday with some longer range stages.

John D.

Edited by AKJD

You should come up and shoot this weekend, I have a long range stage planned Saturday and a Special Qualifier match on Sunday with some longer range stages.

John D.

I would love to but I can't. I only get Saturday off this week because we are bringing Jeff Hall up to teach Active Shooter again and I am covering the road while my guys go to the class.

pat

Caspiangroup.jpg

Problem is fixed all it took was trying 124 grain Montana Gold JHP's instead of the CMJ's or the Winchester FMJ's I was using. I shot the group above off hand at 53 yards. (I paced it then lasered it and found my strides were too big)

Only problem I have not is one of my big sticks that I got from higher capacity mags does not work with JHP's just FMJ's

My CMJ load groups worse at 25 than the JHP's do at 50 in my gun.

Pat

I've had the same thing with both of my open guns! <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Alaskapopo:

Your JHPs' are running long for the big stick. Try running 1.260 to 1.280 OAL if your load will allow you to do so without compressing the powder charge. Might also give you better accuracy, also check your crimp and make sure its not to tight. 38SC is a straight wall case and crimping too tight will affect accuracy.

Alaskapopo:

Your JHPs' are running long for the big stick. Try running 1.260 to 1.280 OAL if your load will allow you to do so without compressing the powder charge. Might also give you better accuracy, also check your crimp and make sure its not to tight. 38SC is a straight wall case and crimping too tight will affect accuracy.

I agree, the OAL is toooo long. I would load between 1.232 to 1.242. You might even be able to reduce the powder load slightly as the shorter OAL will increase pressure depending on the powder. I run 124 CMJ at 1.232 but with a different powder and get excellent accuracy.