Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your opinion on my reloading choices?

So, the time is soon approaching. I have been researching all about reloading and I am ready to make a purchase. I have "narrowed" it down to three self-assembled packages. I was wondering what you all thought about my choices and hope that this helps others that are in my situation as well. Some things that went into my choices: high quality, affordable price, ease of use for beginner, functions that I will want when I get more experience.

OPTION 1

Lyman 2500 Pro Mag Auto Flo Tumbler

--- Corn Cob Media, Walnut Media, Brass Polish

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit

--- Has Press, Scale, Primer Tool, Chamfer/Debur, Load Tray, Lube pad, Wrenches, Powder Measure, Powder Funnel, and Speer Manual

Redding Dies

--- National Match Die Set for .223 military competition and Conventional Titanium Carbide dies for 9mm, 38/357, and 45

Redding Model 1400-XT trimmer lathe

Sierra Infinity V6 software and Manual, Hornady 8th edition, Lyman 49th edition

OPTION 2

---Corn Cob Media, Walnut Media, Brass Polish

Redding Big Boss Press

Redding Versa Pak

--- Scale, Powder Trickler, Powder Measure, Powder Funnel, Chamfer/Debur, Load Tray, Lube Pad, Brushes, 1400 XT Case Trimmer

Redding Dies

--- National Match Die Set for .223 military competition and Conventional Titanium Carbide dies for 9mm, 38/357, and 45

OPTION 3

--- Corn Cob Media, Walnut Media, Brass Polish

Dillon RL550B

--- Also:Instructional DVDs, Strong Mount, Bullet Tray, Roller Handle, Tool Tray, Case Bin, Rifle Dies, D-Terminator Electronic Scale,Extra Primer Pickup tubes, Bullet Puller, Debur Tool

Redding 1400 XT Trimmer

Redding Dies

--- National Match Die Set for .223 military competition and Pro Series Titanium Carbide dies for 9mm, 38/357, and 45

**Redding Big Boss Single Stage Press

**Redding Match Grade Powder Measure BR3

Let's assume that all three options are available at similar prices, with the exception that option 3 is a little more because I have to buy a single stage press and powder measure with option 3, if I want to work up loads. Comparing these choices would you all say that I am on the right track? Am I forgetting anything? Which option would you pick if you were in my place? I am concerned that I am jumping into reloading with unrealistic expectations by starting at option 3 with a progressive reloader.

Edited by ajroyer

Brian has some very good starter packages.

As for cost if you are ordering a lot of individual parts you will pay for it in shipping and handling.

I don’t see a need for two presses in option 3, I have no problems working up a load on a progressive press.

The same procedure to set up a die in a single stage is the same for a progressive; you just set all the dies before loading. With extra tool heads you can leave the dies and their setting alone when switching between calibers.

I have a 550B, D-Terminator, 3 powder systems and 6 tool heads, I load 9mm, 38 super, 40s&w, 10mm, 45 gap, 45 auto, 223, and 308 changing my system from one to the other is simple and don’t take long. The only things I would add to my system are #1 another 550B press or a 650 so I could run the powder check system.

No matter what you get the only thing you might regret will be if you don’t get a progressive press.

Leonard

3. and you can work up loads on a progressive press. no one says you HAVE to have all 4 stations full at the same time to make the press work. but your thoughts of also having a single stage press have merit, i do the same thing. (550 and a RCBS) also some of the options you listed are nice, but not necessary. like the tools and roller handle, strong mount, bullet tray. nice to have, but you can do without or add at a later date. like when you make your next order to dillon for more toolheads and caliber conversions. its just a thought, but i've been working with mine for about 7 years now, bolted straight to a bench and no roller handle, bullet trays, tool rack or strong mount.

also if you are working up loads, look into a powder trickler. i use the heck outta mine, for precision loads and development. another thing, if you are trying for precision OAL, look into unique tech for their shim kit. supposed to take the little bit of play out of the toolhead on the 550.

YMMV

You guys bring up some interesting thoughts. I have not used a progressive press, so I am not sure how the powder metering works in it. I thought that a single stage would let me throw some specific charges and work up easier than a progressive. Also, I had just assumed that I should go ahead and get it all now instead of want it later. If you guys think it is unnecessary for the extra goodies, is there anything that you would say is necessary up front? My wife will be happy to hear that the cost has gone down. :D

The only item I see missing so far is a primer flip-tray. Get the big Dillon one from Brian. I'd go with option #3 too. You can work up loads on the 550 as easily as on a single stage, especially if you get the shim kit mentioned by ken herbert above.

My first experience was on a single stage for about 4 years, but I was only loading hunting rounds. As soon as I got into competition shooting I went with the 550 and never looked back until I upgraded to a 1050 some 20+ years later. I loaded over 150,000 on the old original model 550, and it's as tough as they come. You can't beat the warranty (no BS!) They'll replace ANYTHING that you break, either through stupidity (ask me how I know) or if it just plain wears out, as any machine will do eventually.

You just can't go wrong with anything that Dillon makes. If you're really hung up on the idea of starting out with a single-stage or the beginning cost is a big issue, you might want to try the Dillon BL550 which is the 550 frame set up to be used as a turret press that will load over 160 calibers and it can be upgraded to the full 550B setup later simply by adding the missing components.

Alan~^~

The only thing that is critical is a scale you can trust.

Attention and care to what you are doing when reloading “lots of light”.

With a Dillon a primer flip tray is most handy.

My powder systems meter great with almost all powders, some as tight as 1/100’s of a grain, very large flake or ball still run in the tenth’s of a grain.

There are a lot of powders, if I find one that seems excessive on metering I find a different powder that dose the same but meters betters, but in 20 years I have only found 1 or 2 that were that bad.

I'll add my thoughts on the tumbler...

Lyman makes very good tumblers, however the auto-flo feature is a good thought, but in practice has not worked out for me. When the media gets low, all the cases stand up, trapping the media inside. So you end up having to stir them by hand to get all the media out. Also I like to use a little mineral spirits in the media, to keep the dust down, but the rubber plug reacts to it and softens up.

I ended up taping closed the drain hole, and just using a RCBS clamshell type separator.

The tumbler is working great, but I should have just got the bigger capacity, with no auto-flo.

YMMV...

One way to think of a 550 is that it is basically a single stage with 4 holes. To me it's just so dang simple and yet can go plenty fast when you want to. I started on it and didn't have much trouble at all. You will need the ejector kit or you could make one pretty easy but they should include it if you ask me. It would be a pain without it.

Go with the 550 and leave off the Redding press and powder measure, you'll be amazed at what you can do with the 550

Use those funds for the tool heads and shell plates you'll need. On the pistol side, I've had good results with Lee dies, good design on the first stage sizer and there on sale this month at Midway USA. I also like the Dillon beam scale but that's personal preference.

Might consider another powder measure from Dillon if your going back and forth between pistol and rifle loading to keep from changing powder bars in the powder measure.

Strong mount on the 550 depends on the height of the bench your using, the press will bolt rock solid flat on the bench. I like to be able to look down into the case at station 2 to be sure there's powder in the case. I also prefer to sit on a stool, you'll also need good lighting above or around the press. I used two short pieces of 2x6's to bring the 550 mounted on the left side of the bench to a height the blue catch bin would fit. Also drilled the 2x6 mount so I could place the most used allen wrenches close to the press. Spend a few minutes looking at benches in the galley section for ideas.

Might look at the Dillon power trimmer and Dillon's large tumbler and media separator, the more you load the more brass you'll need to clean. A larger tumbler will clean a small amount but a small tumbler may have you waiting on it.

You need a good manual but any one would teach you the basics, lot's of loading data can be pulled off web sites from the powder manufactures or Handloads.com.

Have fun with your new toys!

If you're going to be loading much rifle ammo, look at power trimmers. Turning the handle is going to get old real fast. Rifle case prep is tedious enough. I really like Dillon dies, but I haven't used any others but Lee.

What about calipers and a chronograph?

RL550B was my first and only press. You don't need a single stage for load development.

You don't really need the brass polish. You will need some lube for rifle...and if you use just a bit for pistol, things will run so much smoother.

Edited by njl

If you're going to be loading much rifle ammo, look at power trimmers. Turning the handle is going to get old real fast. Rifle case prep is tedious enough. I really like Dillon dies, but I haven't used any others but Lee.

What about calipers and a chronograph?

RL550B was my first and only press. You don't need a single stage for load development.

You don't really need the brass polish. You will need some lube for rifle...and if you use just a bit for pistol, things will run so much smoother.

I have the CE ProChrono Digital ordered now. Hopefully be in this week. I bought a cheap digital caliper at Lowes and it seems to work ok. I have looked at saving up and buying a Giraud trimmer in the future. That or the RCBS trimmer with the trim/chamfer/debur three way cutter. Most people say that you trim once and reload 3 to 5 times before the next trimming. I appreciate the feedback on downsizing accessories. I think that I may start simple and add up later if I really feel the need. I'll get the 550 first and see how it works on everything I want to do. If I'm really frustrated later I can always look at grabbing a single stage and precise powder throws to fine tune. I don't bench rest shoot and the target is bigger than one moa, so I think I'll be good. I like the idea of multiple powder measures for the 550 though. I will have at least two powders when it's all said and done.

I have the CE ProChrono Digital ordered now. Hopefully be in this week. I bought a cheap digital caliper at Lowes and it seems to work ok. I have looked at saving up and buying a Giraud trimmer in the future. That or the RCBS trimmer with the trim/chamfer/debur three way cutter. Most people say that you trim once and reload 3 to 5 times before the next trimming. I appreciate the feedback on downsizing accessories. I think that I may start simple and add up later if I really feel the need. I'll get the 550 first and see how it works on everything I want to do. If I'm really frustrated later I can always look at grabbing a single stage and precise powder throws to fine tune. I don't bench rest shoot and the target is bigger than one moa, so I think I'll be good. I like the idea of multiple powder measures for the 550 though. I will have at least two powders when it's all said and done.

I've got the RCBS Trim Pro Power (with 3-way cutters). I've only trimmed a couple hundred cases with it, but I guess I'm happy with it. I'd be happier if the provided a catch tray for the brass shavings...but it wasn't rocket science to rig on out of aluminum foil.

Another thing you may need...if you're planning to load military rifle calibers...something to swage or cut the crimp from the primer pockets. I went with the Dillon super swage, but haven't actually used it yet.

One way to think of a 550 is that it is basically a single stage with 4 holes. To me it's just so dang simple and yet can go plenty fast when you want to. I started on it and didn't have much trouble at all. You will need the ejector kit or you could make one pretty easy but they should include it if you ask me. It would be a pain without it.

What's an ejector kit? It's not on their website.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23630/catid/6/AT_500_Auto_Eject_System

It's listed under upgrades. Why the auto primer upgrade though? Doesn't the 550 prime in one of the stages?

Those parts are upgrades for a AT500 machine.

They are included/standard parts on the 550.

Leonard

Edited by bluenite

A dial caliper is probably worth having...both to keep your digital honest, and because some night, you'll be wanting to do some loading and find that your digital caliper's battery has died and your spare battery is either dead or missing, making your digital caliper a complex overpriced paperweight.

If $'s an issue, I'd go with the Eliminator scale instead of the D-Terminator. I don't have any experience with Dillon's electronic scale, but electronic scales in general seem to be less reliable than beam scales, and in most cases, also more expensive. Sure, they're much faster to use...just drop a charge on them and read the screen...but fast isn't so good if the scale's zero wanders.

The Dillon RL550B is a great progressive loader for beginners, its simple to use, no regrets except for not buying the as it should be kit when I got my loader. Good manuals and lots of em are a must and a plus, hornady is the one I mostly use. Brianenose.com has the ezbuy pacage's you should look at also the easy buy complete conversion kits call brian he can help you and tell you the best route to save you some money so you can use it to by components cause that 550b will crank em out in no time. I have used my 550 as a single stage one of my best investments :wub:

post-24363-084009800 1306189528_thumb.jp

Edited by MARKAVELI

The 550 is the way to get started. It's super easy to run it like a single stage, for working up loads. (The 550 comes with the auto-eject system.) Then once you get your load set, it will roll out a nice volume of high-quality ammo. And on digital scales, my digital scale carries a lifetime warranty!

be