Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR 7625 9 major load for a Bedell full length

Rye

Looking for a loading data for 9 major using 124 gr zero jhp 1.170 oal using IMR 7625. Anyone can share their load. Thanks.

Edited by Rye

N350, 3N38, and AutoComp are also reported to work well, FWIW. I've shot Major 9 guns using all of those but AutoComp, and they all work. I haven't been partial to HS6, personally, though. I'd probably run N350, 3N38, or Silhouette if I were going to switch to Major 9, at this point.

I've had really good luck with Silhouette with 115 Zero/MG JHP and 124 MG JHP. My back up powder is HS-6. Availabily for the VV powders has been iffy so I've never tried them. Haven't tried AutoComp yet and I may do that someday but, for now, I don't think I can do better than Silhouette for my gun and me.

Little drift... Anybody tried the new profile Zero bullets? I have a good sized batch that I will be trying when my regular profile batch of 115 JHP's are gone. They look a lot like the HAP or MG JHP's.

Can't fit enough powder in the case to make major.

Not true - seems like 7.0-7.2 will do it, and that fits (search the forum ;) ). The problems reported were erratic and high pressures as you crossed the 165 PF threshold, with some pretty scary primer smearing once you neared 170 PF at times.

I'm currently using silhouette 7.9 gr and it gives me about 179pf. The only reason I ask for IMR is because it's available to me locally.

I picked up a can of this stuff from a local shooter who was using it in 38 Super comp, one other thing to put out there is lot to lot variances.. The can he got (and gave to me) was requiring more powder to get his PF and he simply switched over to Sillouette for consistecy's sake.. The IMR powders tend to be a little bit erratic in that manner but since they were made for lower pressure shotshells, 1/2 gr difference @ 11,000 psi isn't that big a deal.. I think it would drive me crazy if I were working up this powder in 9 major and just so happen to hit that perfect load only to have it not do what I wanted after that supply ran dry and I had to get a new can of it.

hmm i just chrono'd 7625 in my 9 major shorty a week ago.

124gr MG JHP

1.165 oal

6.5gr:

High 1334

Low 1314

ES 20

SD 7

A 1326

PF 164

7.0gr:

High 1379

Low 1361

ES 18

SD 8

A 1369

PF 169

7.2gr:

High 1395

Low 1381

ES 14

SD 5

A 1387

PF 171

7.5gr:

High 1440

Low 1423

ES 17

SD 6

A 1430

PF 177

I very much like this load the dot bounces to top of glass but doesnt leave and returns right down to its starting spot

my same load with equal PF using autocomp feels the same way but takes up less case capacity. With autocomp however the dot bounces up then dips then returns.

I picked up a can of this stuff from a local shooter who was using it in 38 Super comp, one other thing to put out there is lot to lot variances.. The can he got (and gave to me) was requiring more powder to get his PF and he simply switched over to Sillouette for consistecy's sake.. The IMR powders tend to be a little bit erratic in that manner but since they were made for lower pressure shotshells, 1/2 gr difference @ 11,000 psi isn't that big a deal.. I think it would drive me crazy if I were working up this powder in 9 major and just so happen to hit that perfect load only to have it not do what I wanted after that supply ran dry and I had to get a new can of it.

Sil consistant? maybe but too temp sensitive for me

my 7625 has been pretty consistant maybe i have been lucky i used it in 38 super for a little bit too

4756 on the other hand was wayyyy too inconsistant and felt too similar to other loads in 38 super, and it filled too much case for my liking on a progressive press.

I love Autocomp for 9 major

This was 90 degree day in AZ Desert

7.2Gr AC

124gr MG JHP

1.170 OAL

.375 Crimp

WSRP

1395FPS = 173 PF

10 shot average was 1395..had 2 at 1390 had 2 at 1400+ but average was 1395.

The 9mm Case is just under 3/4 full, plenty of room so it's not a compressed load... my gun loves them, never any FTF (feed or fire). Clean powder... no face concussion, no loud fuggin bang..

Dot does jump a little higher than I would like... only complaint I have about this powder.

I'm currently running 7.2gr of 7625 in a full size Bedell 9. MG 124 JHPs at 1.175", RP brass, Wolf SP primers. It's rather close to the top but that's an issue common to most powders in 9 Major. I've observed some lot-to-lot variation so you may need a tenth or two more or less than that.

Everyone has their preference but 7625 is definitely viable in a 5"+ gun.

Edited by MoNsTeR

Can't fit enough powder in the case to make major.

Not true - seems like 7.0-7.2 will do it, and that fits (search the forum ;) ). The problems reported were erratic and high pressures as you crossed the 165 PF threshold, with some pretty scary primer smearing once you neared 170 PF at times.

Hmm. When I tried it, I filed the case to compressed and still couldn't make major. Maybe it was just the batch I had.

For the record on Silhoutte. Pros - Shoots nice soft and flat even in a shorty. Cons - Temp sensative, dirty.

Ok how temp sensative is it.

My winter load with magnum primers is 7.4gr with 124gr MTG CMF, in the summer I run 7.6gr with Magnum primers. I run about 172pf. out of the 5" guns, a little less in the shorty. In the morning when it is cold they are a bit snappy and as the day heats up they start to feel too soft. I had crono first thing am at Gator at 38 and it was 184pf but I tested at 70 and it was 170pf. So there is a noticable swing.

The magnum primers take care of the dirty.

HS6 and Autocomp are good alternatives.

I've tried just a few others IMR7625, AA#7 (10gr), N350, 3N37. AA#7 is the N105 of 9 major, lots of gas shoots flat and soft, but a pita to load and the powder chooses your OAL for you. It is dirty and abrasive, but cheap.

Since I have IMR7625 and its just taking up space in the fridge, I have been working on a 9 minor load for my shorty. I shot some 115gr with 5.0gr and they just need a little more punch to feel good, at 4.5gr w/124 they are too whimpy not enough snap and bang.

Hmm. When I tried it, I filed the case to compressed and still couldn't make major. Maybe it was just the batch I had.

Possible... though that would seem like a pretty large deviation between the one you had and others. IMR stuff is known to show some fairly big swings between lot numbers, though. That said, you're not confusing it with 4756, are you? cheers.gif

ETA - most of us are/were running slightly compressed loads of 7625 in Super, and - I think - even some of the loads with things like N350 and 3N38 are mildy to moderately compressed in 9mm and in Super(comp). Maybe you just didn't go far enough? 7625 is also one of those that drops into the case fluffy, but then packs itself down a bit, so there's that to consider, too...

Edited by XRe

My winter load with magnum primers is 7.4gr with 124gr MTG CMF, in the summer I run 7.6gr with Magnum primers. I run about 172pf. out of the 5" guns, a little less in the shorty. In the morning when it is cold they are a bit snappy and as the day heats up they start to feel too soft. I had crono first thing am at Gator at 38 and it was 184pf but I tested at 70 and it was 170pf. So there is a noticable swing.

Not completely unusual, but still seems a little bit big of a swing... My N320 load varied by a half grain between winter and summer, and chrono'ed at 166 PF at the Double Tap in 32-ish degree weather. Half a grain less was 173 PF in 98 degree weather in the summer. Obviously, N320 is positively temp sensitive, while Sil is reverse temp sensitive.

Not completely unusual, but still seems a little bit big of a swing... My N320 load varied by a half grain between winter and summer, and chrono'ed at 166 PF at the Double Tap in 32-ish degree weather. Half a grain less was 173 PF in 98 degree weather in the summer. Obviously, N320 is positively temp sensitive, while Sil is reverse temp sensitive.

Definitely not uncommon. My Sil load, 8.7 grains - 115 Zero JHP @ 1.145, will chrono 183.4 PF in 30-ish temps and at 96+ degrees it hits 169.0 PF. My target PF is 172.5. But, the dot tracks the same and I cannot tell the difference while shooting a stage, so I just stick to this one load. Then I don't have to worry about having the right load at the right time or having ammo laying in the sun at the chrono stage. Most of the matches I shoot are on the warm to really warm side so loading down for cold weather isn't worth the hassle.

• 2 weeks later...

I ahve been running 7.1 grains of 7625 behind a 124 grn JPH precsion delta nd Montana gold and getting 1408 with just tinest bit every now and then of primer flatness to one side using wolf primers and an oal 1.165.

I do want to try to make major with Hs-6 though. My falling plate load is 7.1 grains of hs-6 behind a 124 JHP @ 1.165 makes about 145 PF and still runs the comp pretty good.

I am thinking about starting a load of Hs-6 around 7.8 grains and taking it up from there.

I love Autocomp for 9 major

This was 90 degree day in AZ Desert

7.2Gr AC

124gr MG JHP

1.170 OAL

.375 Crimp

WSRP

1395FPS = 173 PF

10 shot average was 1395..had 2 at 1390 had 2 at 1400+ but average was 1395.

The 9mm Case is just under 3/4 full, plenty of room so it's not a compressed load... my gun loves them, never any FTF (feed or fire). Clean powder... no face concussion, no loud fuggin bang..

Dot does jump a little higher than I would like... only complaint I have about this powder.

+1

7.0 AC

124jhp

oal 1.160

firm crimp

AV=1376

sd-18

pf 170.62

if it is compressed it is not by much. I shoot glocks so 1.160 is about as long as I can go.

post-7365-087476100 1306683992_thumb.jpg

Edited by usmc1974