Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 vs Benelli M2

Smokin

I know there is a 12 page thread going on describing the merits of the Mossberg 930 and I read every page. From what I have gathered, the main merits are the less expensive platform, its US made, and it has most of the performance characteristics that most people are looking for. I have also read that many still prefer the grip of the M2, and it seems that some think the M2 is softer shooting. Cost aside, I am looking for feedback on which platform members here have a preference for (based on experience with reliablility, accuracy, shot pattern, weight/balance, fit/finish etc). I want to buy once cry once.

Edited by Smokin

The Benelli is hands down the better platform. It is also the best platform out there period. If you want to do it right get a 21" M2 and send it to Accurate Iron, Triangle Shooting Sports, Salient or C-Rums.

If you're on a budget find a used M1 for $600-700 and run it. They are arguably as Good as the newer M2 guns.

If you are really on a budget I handled the new CZ 712 shotgun this weekend. It needs a little more work than the M2 or M1 to stay reliable just like any gas gun will but it was only $400 and it shot very soft.

Edited by jtischauser

I just modded a CZ 712 for a friend. Its the fastest loading shotgun out there. Really robust receiver lends itself highly to loading port "porting".

I have one on the way that Ill do up for myself, put it through the ringer, so to speak.

I know there is a 12 page thread going on describing the merits of the Mossberg 930 and I read every page. From what I have gathered, the main merits are the less expensive platform, its US made, and it has most of the performance characteristics that most people are looking for. I have also read that many still prefer the grip of the M2, and it seems that some think the M2 is softer shooting. Cost aside, I am looking for feedback on which platform members here have a preference for (based on experience with reliablility, accuracy, shot pattern, weight/balance, fit/finish etc). I want to buy once cry once.

I've only been to 10 3-gun matches (like Ft. Benning twice, Blue Ridge Mtn, Area-6, and some local). But I have shot duck with my dad since I was a kid (not for a few years now, as he's 87). I actually noticed, and said "hmm", that I'd seen many folks having issues with their Benellis and FN-USA's. So I don't own one of those because of what I'd seen. That was what made me try the 930 and I've never looked back- had it 3 years, shot thousands of rounds, no problems. The stock angle is adjustable, the fit and finish are smooth. The accuracy is good with slugs, the choke adjustable. It's tapped if you want a ghost ring, has a big button, is easy to re-load.

I'm running a 712. +4 Nordic extension (use the benelli NOVA model), pachmeyer pad mainly to increase LOP, Williams universal sights. I bought the Utility model so it looks kind of funny with the mag tube being longer than the barrel. Don't notice it when I'm shooting it.

I haven't done anything to the gas ports in the barrel and it WON'T run low recoil buckshot. I haven't tried low recoil slugs or shot....don't really need to as it shoots pretty softly as it is with game loads and LE slugs.

I wogged out the loading port with my dremel and it's much easier to load but I will be sending the lifter to C-rums to get it extended after my next match.

Not much available for it yet in regards to bolt handle and over sized safety. I think you can put an oversized bolt release made for the other weapons which have the button release on the side of the receiver.

I've got around 200 rounds through mine now. Do a search and you'll find more input and comments on the 712. I think it's popularity will grow because it is a soft shooting gas gun and it is very affordable.

The 930 might really take off if Mossy's competition model is under $600 and ready to race.

I actually noticed, and said "hmm", that I'd seen many folks having issues with their Benellis and FN-USA's.

I guess I am just lucky with my M1 that I bought used. I only have a little over 1k rounds so far. I did clean it once at 1k but I don't think it needed it I just felt bad about not doing it. Not once single hitch, bump, etc. I guess I should sell it before it starts failing all the time.

Thanks for the feedback. Just bought a 21" M1. Should be at my FFL on Tuesday and then either off to Triangle Shooting Sports or Accurate Iron.

Good choice. I say this as someone who ditched a perfectly good M-1 to jump on the M-2 bandwagon. I love my M-2 BUT IMO the M-1 is a better platform, the comfortech stock is not worth the extra money (you only notice recoil when you miss) and you can not buy a better shotgun for what you will pay for a used M-1.

Mike,

I'm on the verge of getting a 712 due to the positive things all are saying. Could you elaborate on what you had to improve to get it to run good?

Ill post a lil thread about it eventually.

Esentially, carrier welded, loading port cut down, beveled and ported, gas ports opened up, hi vis front sight, textured furniture, deburr the chamber, tune up the gate, blah blah blah..

The first thing Id do is get the carrier welded, nordic tube, port the mag opening, and put on the hi viz and thats good enough to start off with. If she dont run the cheap stuff, go with AA's or open up the ports.

I actually noticed, and said "hmm", that I'd seen many folks having issues with their Benellis and FN-USA's.

I guess I am just lucky with my M1 that I bought used. I only have a little over 1k rounds so far. I did clean it once at 1k but I don't think it needed it I just felt bad about not doing it. Not once single hitch, bump, etc. I guess I should sell it before it starts failing all the time.

I need to sell my M1 AND my M2 as well...............they've run like tops too!

That's funny...at the many matches I have been to, I see much more of the "other" brands having issues than Benellis. I just watched a guy brag about how perfect his 930 has been just before his turn to shoot, and guess what? He went up on the shotty stage and his 930 had a hiccup :surprise:

I think if you discount the guys who run crappy ammo and/or hang 5 pounds of junk on their Benelli, you will see very few malf's with Benellis

Are you serious?

Quite.

The Benelli series is considered the most reliable out there. I have seen a lot of Remington 1100's have issues but not Benelli's. The M4 Benelli I used to own only malfunctioned twice and that was when I put a extension tube on it without getting a longer spring. The correct spring made the problems go away. That was only one match with 2 malfs. (fails to feed the last round) I put a lot of shotgun rounds through that gun. The M2 I have now is new but so far so good.

Pat

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo