Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 50 too old to start?

teamshrink

Is 50 too old to have fun and get better? Nope. Its also not too old to expect to win and be competitive. Think about this...Its only 5 more years to Senior class for you and you'll be the "young guy!"

I started USPSA at 52 and I wouldn't take anything for the last 6 years.

It's been great fun.

You can be competitive if:

You can shoot,

are in reasonably good health

have a competitive spirit,

are willing to work to get better.

Tls

I just started last fall and I am 69 years old. Age has not been a problem. Currently shooting Marksman in IDPA and did win the Distinguished Senior Award at Midland's "Guns and Gushers" Regional. Looking forward to a lot more years of shooting. Go get em!

Mike Hill

I started IDPA shooting at age 56. I have won my classification (and or)division at 16 state and regional matches..... I'm a 5 gun Expert and a USPSA 4 Division B shooter. I missed IDPA Master recently in a classifier by .02 seconds.

Now as I am only a couple months away from my 67th B-Day..... I am concentrating on winning a slug of Distinguished Senior and Super Senior awards. Last year I was the top D. Senior in three state matches and placed second at the IDPA Nationals.

Will you starting at 50 ever beat Bob Vogel????--- Not likely----- but that doesn't mean you can't have fun, improve, make tons of new friends, and be a strong spokesman for the sport.

Mark

Edited by MichiganShootist

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 58 and started IDPA at about 54. I've had a great time and am still improving. I now shoot USPSA and ICORE. Some of the guys I shoot with also shoot 3 gun. I keep going back and forth about wanting to get involved with the 3 gun stuff. I'll figure that I've still got a lot of improvement to achieve with the handguns, and only so much time, why add 3 gun to the mix? Then I'll see the guys with one of their rifles or hear them talking about the matches and get the itch to give 3 gun a try. We'll see. Mark

• 2 weeks later...