Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I go all out?

JBetts

I want to start shooting in Limited and I'm set on getting a CZ. I've shot a few and was very impressed. The one thing I can't decide is whether to get a stock TS or go all out and get a CTS.

I've shot a TS and love the feel of it, I have bigger hands and even longer fingers so the size is great. My only concern with getting the TS is that I will end up dumping money into it buying all the stuff the CTS already comes with (sights, trigger work, grips, magwell). The only disadvantage I see with the CTS is I've never handled or shot one. I know the grip is reduced and the balance of the gun is different but is similar to the feel of a 75 (a gun I have shot)?

I've read all I can find out about the two and I'm at a stalemate. Please help me out.

Thanks,

Joel

I have no experience with TS or CTS as I shoot a couple of Shadows. Nonetheless, assuming one is financially able, I subscribe to the idea of "buy once, cry once." Otherwise, the upgrade bug just keeps on biting. :roflol:

I want to start shooting in Limited and I'm set on getting a CZ. I've shot a few and was very impressed. The one thing I can't decide is whether to get a stock TS or go all out and get a CTS.

I've shot a TS and love the feel of it, I have bigger hands and even longer fingers so the size is great. My only concern with getting the TS is that I will end up dumping money into it buying all the stuff the CTS already comes with (sights, trigger work, grips, magwell). The only disadvantage I see with the CTS is I've never handled or shot one. I know the grip is reduced and the balance of the gun is different but is similar to the feel of a 75 (a gun I have shot)?

I've read all I can find out about the two and I'm at a stalemate. Please help me out.

Thanks,

Joel

Edited by justaute

What's the price difference?

Sights and a consistent trigger would be ideal to have out of the box.

Installation of sights may sometimes require special tooling. A really nice low mount rear sight or dovetailed front sight installation requires a mill and the knowledge to use one.

If you don't know how to do a trigger job on your gun, it would be advisable to have a qualified 'smith do it for you. You could learn to do your own trigger and there are resources for learning, but you may want to actually shoot the gun for awhile first.

Grips and magwells are usually bolt ons and easy to add later.

Really, you can't go wrong either way. What's important is that whatever you get, you feed it decent ammo and shoot it - a lot.

Nice to have your problem :cheers:

I say get a CTS in .40 and try to wear it out, might hurt a bit more up front, but you'll have it as good as it can get from the start and doubt you'll regret it. Besides, if you were to factor in all the work that's standard on a CTS that you'd likely do to a normal TS anyway, like: sights, competition hammer, CZC trigger, and CZC magwell, aside from the other enhancements like the better grips and frame alteration - it actually becomes sort of a bargain, and you'll pretty much have the top of the food chain CZ with 3 mags that'll run for not much more than a box-stock EDGE with a single mag that would likely need to be tuned...

If/When I move to Limited that's my plan anyway...

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

What's the price difference?

Sights and a consistent trigger would be ideal to have out of the box.

Installation of sights may sometimes require special tooling. A really nice low mount rear sight or dovetailed front sight installation requires a mill and the knowledge to use one.

If you don't know how to do a trigger job on your gun, it would be advisable to have a qualified 'smith do it for you. You could learn to do your own trigger and there are resources for learning, but you may want to actually shoot the gun for awhile first.

Grips and magwells are usually bolt ons and easy to add later.

Really, you can't go wrong either way. What's important is that whatever you get, you feed it decent ammo and shoot it - a lot.

Nice to have your problem :cheers:

The price difference is like $800. The trigger work is the only thing I wouldn't want to do myself, probably something I would have Angus do.

I say get a CTS in .40 and try to wear it out, might hurt a bit more up front, but you'll have it as good as it can get from the start and doubt you'll regret it. Besides, if you were to factor in all the work that's standard on a CTS that you'd likely do to a normal TS anyway, like: sights, competition hammer, CZC trigger, and CZC magwell, aside from the other enhancements like the better grips and frame alteration - it actually becomes sort of a bargain, and you'll pretty much have the top of the food chain CZ with 3 mags that'll run for not much more than a box-stock EDGE with a single mag that would likely need to be tuned...

If/When I move to Limited that's my plan anyway...

Well put. Again my only hesitation is I've never even seen one but I also can't imagine being disappointed.

The CTS is awesome. You can always get thicker grips if the shaved frame seems to small for you. I don't think it will be a problem. I shot a friends in .40, very nice. One other option if you don't mind minor/9mm is the CZ 75 Shadow Long Slide. I just picked one up for my wife and am slowly stealing it from her.

CZ 75 Shadow Long Slide

It shoots as nice IMHO as the CTS and you save $250.

CTS is the flagship of CZ, when you get it from the CZ shop...you wont have to change anything but grips (if you choose) the trigger is outstanding. I molested one at the store and didn't want to give it back..

I say get the CTS

Edited by OpenDot

I shot a TS for a year in Limited. Loved the gun. I did add the fiber optic front sight, and the adjustable rear sight. I thought the trigger was very good so I just left it as is, the mag well it had seemed ok. The CTS takes weight off the front and for me that is a negative, that extra weight keeps the nose down. Now if you got wrist of steel and like a lighter gun the CTS would be good.

The only thing I didn't like about the CZ was I had to load ammo at about 1.140 and you need to use good brass, and I had trouble with moly coated bullets so I just ran jacketed 180gr Zeros. The STI platform goes out to 1.200 and even trash brass holds up.

Yes, when I went to open I switched to the 2011 platform, and have gone thru several Limited Guns, but the good ole heavy STI Edge suits me best, the lightened slides like the Brazos just don't fit my shooting skill and style. When I was shooting the TS I ragged on the STI shooters about their over priced hardware and thier just wanting to fit in, but now I just think they are worth the money, but don't really have an advantage shooting, but when it comes to parts and smiths well there are plenty too many.

Hey just my humble opinion, have not shot a CTS, I don't like how it looks, reminds me of the Witness Match, which I have owned and shot, just didn't get the reliablity of the TS or accuracy.

TS when I sold it: http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=46 and one of the Edge's I sold: http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=413 The one I use now is hardchromed.

Edited by CocoBolo