Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Pouch "theory" question

crispy

So I've got these new CR Speed Versa pouches right, so my question is... what is the prevailing placement/angle theory going out there? (I'm shooting Production so I have four mags on the DA belt.)

I know..., I could place them however I want, whatever suits my tastes. But I want to get your thoughts on why you set yours up the way you did. I've seen some all vertical. I've seen others with the front most mag almost horizontal, the 2nd mag at a 45 and the rest vertical.

What is a good starter setup and why?

If you are shooting Production, you have to have them located behind your hip bone. With them that far back, vertical is going to be the most comforable (usually) and asve you belt room so you dont have to reach your spine for a magazine.

For other divisions that don't require mag position (Limited, L-10, Open), its all personal preference on what is comfortable.

Positioned along the side of the body, vertical is the probably the best because you're not pulling away from the reload motion.

If you're a stick (30" waist or less) you may not have enough real estate for four single carriers along the side of your body aft of the hip bone and may have to mount some carriers farther around back. Either that or they'll be all on top of each other. Depending on how much real estate is available aft of the hip bone, I've seen some guys run the rear most carrier(s) angled forward using a left handed or ambi carrier. I think the CR Versa is ambi so you'll need to experiment.

I'll find out at some point if I ever get my single stack gun back. SSD has the same gear position requirements ad Production and limits major to 8rds/mag. I plan on carrying 5 mags on the belt plus the starter in the gun. Fortunately, I've got lots of real estate aft of the hip bone :roflol:

draw a magazine backwards basically on rewind. Start with mag in gun like you just finished reloading then rewind,drop mag and move it back to the pouch, the angle the mag is in when it gets there is the angle your pouch should be, each one will be a bit different.

draw a magazine backwards basically on rewind. Start with mag in gun like you just finished reloading then rewind,drop mag and move it back to the pouch, the angle the mag is in when it gets there is the angle your pouch should be, each one will be a bit different.

Where theres no placement restrictions this is good advise. I would add that you will probably find that the further towards the front your placement is the more parallel to the belt the holder will be and as you move back they will be more vertical.

As you set them up your wrist would be straight, index finger straight, and you should be able to just keep sweeping back to the next mag in line.

You want the pouch angle to match the angle that your hand will be at when gripping the mag to put it in the gun as much as possible. This generally means your wrist should be as flat as possible. For Open or Limited, the shortest path to the gun from a mag pouch is centered on the front of the belt - in this position, you have to compromise a bit, because in order to keep the wrist flat, you basically have to angle the mag pouch very flat. As you move around your hip, the angle requires the mag pouch to be gradually straighter up and down. After you pass the hip, you may have to compromise some again, because you have to start tilting pouches forward.

Running a front/centered pouch with the mag straight up and down results in a very bent wrist or a lot of excess shoulder motion to grab the mag - both things require a lot of extra movement that must be executed accurately 100% of the time to be fast. I've seen some folks be very fast with a mag in that position, but it requires more work, overall, in my experience.

Production and Single Stack require gear to be behind the hip - some compromises in angle are required to fit all the mag pouches you need or those divisions within the space you have available. Just do the best you can, given the equipment parameters you have to stick within ;)

Hello: I put all the mag holders straight up so I can get them close together and easily reach them for Production and single stack. I use Safarliand 771's which release easily but still hold the mags securely. I also put the first mag holder in the same spot for all divisions. That way everything is the same for Open, Limited,Production and single stack. It may not be the fastest for Open or Limited but I don't have to think where the mags are and miss the one in the front :roflol: You may want to try different mag holders to see which ones work the best for you. Thanks, Eric

I switched my CR speed holders by flipping the hanger so that they are lower on my belt. When I had them set higher it seemed that I had to twist my whole body and lose my center balance when I needed to switch mags. When I lowered them I was able to keep more up-right and on balance which allowed me better follow up shots after the mag change.