Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sideways Mount?

shooter995

I got a side mount on my new Open gun. Best advice I ever got was to use one with this new build. If you're new to Open and/or switch back and forth between iron sights like me, I'd definitely suggest the side mount. It brings the Cmore down real close to the slide, a little higher than iron sights making that dot real easy to pick up. It also supposedly helps with ejection problems in 9major guns, though I couldnt give an opinion since I run 38SC.

I have one on both my open guns now :D Predator tactical makes one that you can zero 2 or more cmores on different plates and and switch them out without losing zero http://www.predatortactical.com/Optics-Sights-Mounts/Predator-C-more-Side-Mount-p377.html

I used to run an upright on my trubor, switching was the best thing i could have done :cheers: the dot is so much closer to the barrel = less difference in zero at different distances. Also it keeps the mount from getting in the way of the ejecting brass so it minimizes stove piping.

bottome line- its the best way to go for a 9mm gun

It also supposedly helps with ejection problems in 9major guns,

When I asked my smith about 9mm ejection problems, he said "What problems?". I am at over 3000 rounds on that new gun (with vertical mount) and have not yet seen those "problems". I think when the smith starts talking about 9mm ejection problems, it's time to look for second opinion.

I tried four different makes of side mounts... the three big names, one unknown one... didn't like any of them (to different degrees), went back to the vertical and am totally happy again.

Bottom line - you will not know till you try it. Yes, there is about 1" difference in impact point over distances... but frankly, I will start worrying about that when all my shots begin to fall within that size groups.

I have the Quinn Mount also, love it. As stated earlier makes switching back and forth from limited to open much easier.I would also recommend the Quinn if your moving to open, will make the transition much easier.Currently switching to the Quinn on my backup gun also.

I picked up a used open gun last year and had a hard time picking up the dot until I switched to the Quinn II. The dot just was right there for me with that mount. Coming from limited to open with that mount seemed a lot easier for me, and its also nice to be able to pick up my limited gun time to time and not skip a beat.. Hope you find what works for you..

Slight C.G. shift in the gun lateral....takes 1 mag to get used too.

+1

My gunsmith took a little off the area where it mounts to the frame to center the scope on my slide. I like it a lot better.

I've only shot 2 mags worth in a top mount...took forever to find the dot.

Mine has a sidemount, takes 1/2 the time to find it for me anyways with the sideways mount.

I've got the Burkett 2 Piece coming on my Banshee and I have a Camerons on my FG parts gun.

Side mounts or vertical mounts are all about preference. For people who had been shooting open for the longest time they have learn how to shoot with vertical mounts and where to adjust their shot for long and short range shots or targets and acquire the dot. Wherein the side mounts helps the new open shooter easily adjust and acquire the dot coming from shooting with an iron sight. I have actually tried both and I have to get use to shooting side mounts coming from a vertical mount.

Side mounts or vertical mounts are all about preference. For people who had been shooting open for the longest time they have learn how to shoot with vertical mounts and where to adjust their shot for long and short range shots or targets and acquire the dot. Wherein the side mounts helps the new open shooter easily adjust and acquire the dot coming from shooting with an iron sight. I have actually tried both and I have to get use to shooting side mounts coming from a vertical mount.

If you have the scope zeroed at the proper range, the only shot you have to adjust for is the very close upper A zone shot.

Are the likes of Grauffel,Tilley or Max Michel using them. If these mounts were so much better I think these guys would be the first ones to be using them.

At that elite level (in many sports), factors such as confidence, familiarity, etc., may outweigh an arguably 'better' design. There is a reason many of the elite golfers still use muscle back/non cavity, oversize irons.

Edited by al503

Does anyone know of a sideways mount for Glock....? That does NOT use the rails? I am using a Ghost holster and can't have anything in front of the trigger guard.

TIA!