Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about getting a CZ75 or 85

alphabrace

Hello,

I am interested in getting a CZ. I have m&p's but just want to see how a CZ is to my liking. I am looking at either the 75 or 85 or 85 combat. I want to shoot some matches but don't know enough about the different divisions. I have a 9 and 40 and can reload either. Just want to shoot for the fun and competition and no I cannot afford a higher end CZ. Look forward to your response. Thanks.

The 85 Combat would be a better choice than the 75B (which is still a good choice). It doesn't have a FPB and comes with a drop free mag brake. It would fit into Production and SSP or ESP in IDPA.

+1 to the 85 Combat, no firing pin block means if you decide to add a $65 cz-customs competition hammer (which you should), you'll have the same trigger those of us with the higher-end Shadows have for a few hundred less. That said, add a competition hammer to any 75-variant and you'll be pretty impressed I bet, no FPB just means a shorter reset and cleaner, slightly lighter trigger pull. You'll want a model in the classic CZ SA/DA with a safety configuration, avoid the models with decockers.

I'd also recommend seeing if you can try and handle the two different types of frames, most 75's and 85's have the older short beavertail that angles down and can be uncomfortable to some, a few of the 75-variants as well as the SP-variants have a higher upswept beavertail that feels different and IMO is much better feeling.

Edited by ck1

cheapest way is a 75b, skate tape, hammer/recoil springs, and a comp hammer with sights. hell, i nabbed a nice 75b that had FO sights and AL grips, and a nice trigger for 425 shipped. didn't even need the comp hammer on it. once you shoot some more and decide you like this, you can always sell it and upgrade later. always buy used, too. then they're broken in for you too. :)

+1 to the 85 Combat, no firing pin block means if you decide to add a $65 cz-customs competition hammer (which you should), you'll have the same trigger those of us with the higher-end Shadows have for a few hundred less. That said, add a competition hammer to any 75-variant and you'll be pretty impressed I bet, no FPB just means a shorter reset and cleaner, slightly lighter trigger pull. You'll want a model in the classic CZ SA/DA with a safety configuration, avoid the models with decockers.

I'd also recommend seeing if you can try and handle the two different types of frames, most 75's and 85's have the older short beavertail that angles down and can be uncomfortable to some, a few of the 75-variants as well as the SP-variants have a higher upswept beavertail that feels different and IMO is much better feeling.

Can you give me more detail as to which models have the higher swept beavertail? What is FPB? How do I tell if a model has a decocker?

Thanks.

Some stainless model 75B's have the higher beavertail as does the SA version (that will not be production legal though). A FPB is a firing pin block, you can get a pretty good trigger if it has one but the reset and take up is a longer than one without.

one possible way to..

there seem to be a lot of the surplus Pre B 75 out on the market now. ( Wideners has them for $275 shipped, Roberts Trading on GB has them for $337 )

they have small sights, but that would be easy to have new sights milled in.

no firing pin block on them either..

hmmmm... talking myself into getting one of these..

goto www.czforumsite.info forums for more info.

Anything with a decocker from CZ is harder to improve the trigger pull on. I own a CZ85 Combat. I chose it because I knew I wanted to shoot production division and needed my first shot to be DA. It also has adjustable sights (that are a little low for competition). The 75B SA puts you into limited or limited 10. I bought mine directly from Angus Hobdel, the king of CZ's, at czcustom.com. His prices are unbeatable. I had him take the new pistols and put his competition hammer in. The trigger pull is good. Factory CZ's have horrible triggers unless you buy one of their custom shop models. The sear angle is so bad that the hammer actually moves back while you squeeze the trigger. It can easily be stoned out but I purchased the comp hammer from Angus, and had him install it, because it has better grip and I have to decock it for that first DA shot in production division.

CZ's also have short throats and can be finicky with ammunition. Berrys HBRN 124g is the bullet of choice for this pistol, although I shoot Berrys HBFP 124g.

My CZ shoots great, at 25 yards get 3" groups with my forearms on the table, no sandbags. I am very happy with my purchase and I think you will be too!

Edited by stringcheese

CZ's also have short throats and can be finicky with ammunition. Berrys HBRN 124g is the bullet of choice for this pistol, although I shoot Berrys HBFP 124g.

Yes and No. Yes, the CZ's have short throats compared to other manufactureres, but I wouldn't say they are finicky with ammo. I've shot various factory ammo out of my SP01 and have never had any issues (WWB, Remington, Federal, Magtech ). What gets finicky is when you load your own and use the OALs that Glock and S&W guys are using. You will need to load a little shorter, especially JHPs. Any gun will be finicky if you load the bullet so long that it touches the lands.

As far as Berry's as the bullet of choice? Not so sure. Angus himself shoots Zeros ( unless he changed very recently ). The guys that I know with CZs that shoot USPSA all use Zeros or Montana Gold. I use MG because I got tired of Zeros being out of stock. Other than that, I loved them. I know the guys over on CZForum have been going ga-ga over the Berry's lately, but I have my opinions on why that is. I will reserve those opinions as to not make this thread become a flame fest.

Edited by CZinSC

I have had no issues with ammo. so haven't found the CZ to be particularly finicky.

my loads are loaded 1.150 OAL, mix of CP 135FMJ, MG 124CMJ/124jhp

had no problems either with any of the factory ammo from Fed. 115/124, Win 115/124/147, or 115 loads from PMC, Frontier, Speer Lawman, Blazer brass.

My experience with the CZ platform has been extremely good.

CZ's also have short throats and can be finicky with ammunition.

I have never had one malfunction with my Shadow and have used almost every box of ammo on the shelf and comp loads given the OAL is correct.

I guess I should have been more clear. The shorter throats CZ's have/will show when shooting FP bullets and shooting hornady's XTP's.

Yes the Berry's guys probably have their hand in someones puppet. But they have good data to support their claim and I found the berry's were an affordable choice for me. I am under the understanding that the Berry's new 124g HBRN was designed with help from some CZ guys? Angus does shoot Zeros and VVT N320. He also owns the custom shop...

As far as guns go, IMHO I think saying that CZ's can be finicky with ammo is kind of like saying that Glocks can be unreliable now and then, or to put it another way I'd guess that as far handgun platforms go they're one of the least finicky. Try a 9mm 1911 or maybe a large-frame 9/40 Tanfoglio sometime...

I wouldn't say they are finicky other than some bullet profiles require you to load short. I use 121 IFPs and need to keep it at 1.1. Since this is the only 9 I load it makes it easy for me. If I needed other OALs, I guess I would say it was finicky. Either that or I would just go to a different bullet profile.