Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Custom Shop

Andrew B

STI recently opened a Custom Gun Shop. Well, it's not really possible to get a gun built by them exactly the way you want it as you pick options from their list. As long as what you want coincides with what they will do, then you can get exactly what you want. Hopefully, you don't want a trigger pull of less than 3 pounds on an open gun, etc.

The part of Custom Gun Shop that they do totally have a handle on is blowing when they promised to deliver the gun. I ordered a gun from them earlier this year, was told a mid April date, just got off the phone with them and was told a mid May date.

Arrrggghhhh.

Guest bulm5
STI recently opened a Custom Gun Shop. Well, it's not really possible to get a gun built by them exactly the way you want it as you pick options from their list. As long as what you want coincides with what they will do, then you can get exactly what you want. Hopefully, you don't want a trigger pull of less than 3 pounds on an open gun, etc.

The part of Custom Gun Shop that they do totally have a handle on is blowing when they promised to deliver the gun. I ordered a gun from them earlier this year, was told a mid April date, just got off the phone with them and was told a mid May date.

Arrrggghhhh.

YOu should have had Benny Hill build you one. Fast turn around.

Word is STI is considering (or is already) discontinuing the Custom Shop. They certainly aren't taking any more orders at this point, and at least one of the CS gunsmiths is now over in sales.

From the STI web site:

THE CUSTOM SHOP IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!!

Sorry folks, but if we are going to be able to meet our production commitments to you guys and your customers we just don't have a choice. We'll let you know when it opens back up. I hope that you understand.

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing open gun saga.

rant mode on//

STI told me it would be ready in two weeks, no problem, three weeks ago. I called Monday and was told it would be back from chrome Thursday. I called today and was told it would be back Friday or Monday. If that is true, I will get it on Tuesday. It's basically a Stinger with a bigger comp and the slide lightened. It's not like I asked them to build Apollo 13.

Just irritated. I don't like waiting and it makes it worse when delivery estimates are made and blown again and again. You would think that they would build a fudge factor into the estimates. You're happy when something is delivered earlier than promised, everyone gets mad when it works the other way.

I have never had a gun builder meet a delivery promise. Never. They frequently blow the estimates by months. If I worked like that, I would be living in a cardboard box. Jeez.

Feel free to move this to the "What I hate" section. It's starting to give me an irritable colon:

rant mode off //

On a lighter note, that STInger is a pretty sweet lookin' pistoley! :D

With it chromed it'll be very nice. Let us know how it shoots when you get it.

Too maybe help make you feel better, would you rather that they rush it or take the time it takes to make YOUR (i.e. not production) gun? Just a thought.

Good luck!

Rich

• 2 weeks later...