Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris 1.5-6X40 Info

02Fatboy

Has anybody used this scope for 3gun. It looks danm nice but the 40mm has me concerned. Can someone tell me about the scope before I buy it. SWFA has the scope in stock but if send back there is a restocking fee of 15 to 20%. So I need some feed back from somebody on which scope to buy under two grand.

Thanks

02Fatboy :unsure:

What Ken was trying to say is that there are several dozen threads on this subject here on the forum.

If you used the search box (top right of the page) you can find a ton of information about the scope from several dozen users who have varying opinions to help you formula your own decision.

Has anybody used this scope for 3gun. It looks danm nice but the 40mm has me concerned. Can someone tell me about the scope before I buy it. SWFA has the scope in stock but if send back there is a restocking fee of 15 to 20%. So I need some feed back from somebody on which scope to buy under two grand.

Thanks

I run a Swarovski 1-6 and while I love having 6x on the top end having 1x on the bottom is more important in my opinion. So in your shoes I would go with a 1-4 over a 1.5-6.

Pat

The swaro is a great scope, and they put some product on the BRM3G table. But you do NOT need more than 4x for anything but maybe 5 or 6 shots, ALL year if you shoot all the majors. I shot a TAC30 and hit the long target (550) @ BRM3G. The fastest run on the long range stage was Casanova who, shooting limited (1x), used to think he needed 12x! Over magnification WILL slow you down. I think this is what Ken was sliding to as well. Wining run on the other long range stage was with a Vortex 1-4 HD.

Guys I get the 1x power ok but the problem I have is over 250 Yards. Not the up close targets. So I am looking for a 1-6 not a 1-4 I have two (1-4) one is the Trijicon and one is Millett and they work great upto 200 yards for me. I can't see the damn targets over the 250 mark. So please tell me the best 1-6 and not the 1-4 scopes.

Edited by 02Fatboy

Thanks

I think it's a good deal. I have both the 1-4 and the 1.5-6 Burris scopes and while the 1x is easier at 25 yard hoser targets, 1.5x isn't bad. A lot of guys run ACOGs and they're 3.5x. Where the 6x shines is at the 300-500 yard lines when targets aren't being painted between relays and dirt berms offer no contrast.

the Burris 1.5-6 XTR or the Valdata 1.5-8 CQB. (I have both) the Valdata is a bit more, well, about double, but the field of vision is quite a bit more. Thats the first number I look at when shopping scopes, the field of vision. it doesn't do you any good to have a super high power scope if you can't find the target in it because the FOV is too narrow and eye relief is mucking things all up...

Others that have already been mentioned that will do great are the Leupy Mk8, and the Swaro 1-6.

There also may be something in the Vortex line (great scopes!) that may fit your requirements, you need to look at the specs for each and compare.

JMHO

jj

I run a S&B 1.5-6x42 Flashdot #9 on my 6.8 for hunting, fantastic scope but not cheap

My experience with a few of the Burris illuminated reticle scopes make me apprehensive to recommend any Burris illuminate scope due to failures with the electronic switches. I had the Euro 1.5-6x40 and my son the FF2 3-9x40

I also have a Kahles CSX 1.5-6x42 with the circle dot reticle, it's lighter than the S&B and as bright in low light but the S&B has slightly better resolution. I may try it in 3 gun.

Neither has a BDC reticle though and that may be an issue to some.

This power range doesn't have a lot of options, I know that Meopta is about to come out with a 1.5-6x42 with an illuminated center dot in a German #4 reticle.

I spoke with Leupold about putting an illuminted reticle in the 30mm 2-7, they could only do it in the 1.75-6, I had asked about a German #4, perhaps they could put a TMR reticle..

The swaro is a great scope, and they put some product on the BRM3G table. But you do NOT need more than 4x for anything but maybe 5 or 6 shots, ALL year if you shoot all the majors. I shot a TAC30 and hit the long target (550) @ BRM3G. The fastest run on the long range stage was Casanova who, shooting limited (1x), used to think he needed 12x! Over magnification WILL slow you down. I think this is what Ken was sliding to as well. Wining run on the other long range stage was with a Vortex 1-4 HD.

I wish I had a place to test what you are saying. For me 6x seems to be worth in on targets out past 300 yards. But you have way more experinece at the game than I do.

Pat

I run both the XTR 1-4 and the XTR 1.5-6.

I agree that the 1x on the bottom end is far more important than a higher mag top end as well as having as much FOV as possible.

If I am shooting Open division and can have an offset sight I think the 1.5 -6 is a great scope. However if I am shooting Tac or any division that limits me to one optic then I run the 1-4.

Both scopes are excellent for our game from the standpoint of glass quality, durability, and the usability of their BDC Reticle.

I wish I had a place to test what you are saying. For me 6x seems to be worth in on targets out past 300 yards. But you have way more experinece at the game than I do.

Pat

You should test it out. There is no absolute, and I did not listen to the old sages teling me I was running too much mag for several years. There is a speed/magnification balance, and size of target is something too. The 1.5-6 Burris does have great glass and if 6x is more important that having 1x at the bottom, then a XTR 1.5-6 or a Swaro 1-6 looks to be the choice.

Guys thanks for stepping up to the plate on this for me. I talked to a guy last night and is going to let me us his 1-6 swaro to see if I like it. So I will get back to and let anybody how it worked for me and my old eyes.

Thanks again.

Guys thanks for stepping up to the plate on this for me. I talked to a guy last night and is going to let me us his 1-6 swaro to see if I like it. So I will get back to and let anybody how it worked for me and my old eyes.

Thanks again.

get ready to write a big check :)

• 2 weeks later...

Pat

You should test it out. There is no absolute, and I did not listen to the old sages teling me I was running too much mag for several years. There is a speed/magnification balance, and size of target is something too. The 1.5-6 Burris does have great glass and if 6x is more important that having 1x at the bottom, then a XTR 1.5-6 or a Swaro 1-6 looks to be the choice.

Ok I got my lesson in over magnification at this match. Around 1 min into the video I skipped over a target and did not see it because I had the scope at 3x. I had to look a the targets to see which ones I had hit. (paint marks) Wasted several seconds there. You were right.

Pat

well, it's pretty hard not to fall in love with a Swarovksi

Actually its pretty easy to not fall in love with a second focal plane optic that kicks the $2k pricepoint when there is some great First Focal Plane glass at much more reasonable prices.

Actually its pretty easy to not fall in love with a second focal plane optic that kicks the $2k pricepoint when there is some great First Focal Plane glass at much more reasonable prices.

spoiled by good glass :)

The second focal plane is not a big deal to me and it actually is a good thing in some ways. For example the dot on the BRT is 9 moa on 1x allowing faster up close shooting. (its 1.5 moa at 6x) For long range where I would need the bullet drop (past 300) I plan on cranking up to 6x anyway. The Swarovski combines clear glass, great field of view, good day light visible illumination with a bullet drop compensator and it has a 6x on the top end which I know is of debatable value. For me I don't see a need for first focal plane on non precision style rifle scopes. Just my opinion but I think the Swarovski z6i is the best three gun scope going and it seems to be used by a lot of the top shooters.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

The second focal plane is not a big deal to me and it actually is a good thing in some ways. For example the dot on the BRT is 9 moa on 1x allowing faster up close shooting. (its 1.5 moa at 6x) For long range where I would need the bullet drop (past 300) I plan on cranking up to 6x anyway. The Swarovski combines clear glass, great field of view, good day light visible illumination with a bullet drop compensator and it has a 6x on the top end which I know is of debatable value. For me I don't see a need for first focal plane on non precision style rifle scopes. Just my opinion but I think the Swarovski z6i is the best three gun scope going and it seems to be used by a lot of the top shooters.

Pat

Pat,

There is a distinct advantage to a FFP in our game. The disadvantage of second focal plane goes hand in hand with the aforementioned FOV problems when shooting on 6x. IF for example it is advantageous to run a stage at 3x or 4x due to the FOV needed to see the targets without forgetting one. You have to now recalculate the values of your BDC.

So while the Swaro is a good piece of glass having a BDC that changes with each power adjustment and necessitates recalculation on the part of the shooter is at a distinct disadvantage to the same FFP scope which doesn't have any of those downfalls and yet retains all of the advantages.