Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Weigand Rear Sight

TxD

Hmm, I think this might be a mistake on Midway's website. I have never heard of a steel Weigand blade, and I buy a lot of product from Jack. If you look at the Weigand website, it states the material is heat-treated aluminum: http://www.jackweigand.com/smith_wesson_rear_blade.html

Making the Weigand blade out of steel would be a good idea, though! The aluminum blades work fine, but I like the ability to touch up a rear sight with cold blue when the edges start to get silvery.

So somebody let me know if I'm wrong and there really is a steel Weigand blade.

I put a Bowen Rough Country Heavy Duty rear sight on a 625 and was very impressed by the quality and sight picture with it. More expensive but its well made and should hold up well. The windage adjustment uses apposing screws kind of a PITA to adjust but stays put.

Edited by Ross Carter

I put a Bowen Rough Country Heavy Duty rear sight on a 625 and was very impressed by the quality and sight picture with it. More expensive but its well made and should hold up well. The windage adjustment uses apposing screws kind of a PITA to adjust but stays put.

That's a nice looking sight!

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that Midway has an all steel Weigand rear sight in .125 and .140.

I like the Weigand sight but not aluminum.

Sorry if this is old news.

Info here: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=956921

I have the Rough Country sight, which gives the save sight picture as a Weigand, on my Model 19 which is my go everywhere and do anything gun. Put it on after my Weigand sight began to wiggle from being knocked around a bit. Aluminum does that. The Rough Country is solid steel, works like a champ for real life carry and abuse and IDPA shoots.

However, like another member said, they use the Taurus opposing screw system to adjust windage and it is a pain to adjust. On a dedicated competition gun I pass as it is too difficult to adjust for different loads etc.

I use the Weigand for PPC distinguished, and LPA for my USPSA revolver, and S&W factory for Icore classic.

Jim G

• 3 weeks later...

Have the Weigand .140 on three revolvers using the SDM front, outstanding sight picture.

I have the same set up on my 625 and I've been happy with it so far.

I have the Weigand Aluminum on my 627 with SDM front, About 1 year now, I really like it, but it already has a dent from bumping another gun when putting it in the safe.

When I change it I think I will go with SDM.

Leonard

I have the Weigand Aluminum on my 627 with SDM front, About 1 year now, I really like it, but it already has a dent from bumping another gun when putting it in the safe.

When I change it I think I will go with SDM.

Have you tried the Apex Tactical rear sight? It looks a lot like the Weigand, but made of steel. I just shot my first match with it, and like it so far.

No, I've not tryied the Apex.

That SDM looks sweet.

I have a C&S fiber rear on my 625 and it works great with my messed up eyesight, but not as durabal as all metal.

and I use my 627 as a house gun aswell as for fun.

Leonard