Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dot torture diognosis

calvary45

Went to the range today to work on some group shooting. Once i finished that i decided to do dot torture drill,target set at 15yds. 1st dot acuraccy was good about a 1.25in group. 2nd dot my shots were to breaking the right side of the circle but with a 1.5in group,3rd and 4th dot all shots were also breaking the right side of the circle, i speed up quit a bit so accuracy was about a 3.5 in group. 5th dot 1.5 inch group dead center pretty quick too. 6th and 7th dot again all shots were breaking the right side of the circle with 3.5 inch groups. 8th dot weak hand only 2in group dead center. 9th and 10th dot same thing breaking the right side of the circle with about a 3.5in group. What im trying to figure out is that my strong hand shooting and weak hand shooting is awesome, but my 2 handed grip shooting all shots are to the right.I am left handed also if that helps. I even tried putting more trigger finger but with same results. My group shooting off of a bench is good though. anybody got any recommendations.

Try using less trigger finger in on the trigger..

I put my trigger approximately 2/3rds on the first pad of my index finger..

The more finger I try to add the more I pull.

I think im using too little trigger finger, while dryfiring i noticed on my trigger squeaze the front sight going right so i added more trigger finger, i placed my finger just beyond the fingernail (about 2/3). Will see if it works the next range trip. thanks for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

something i watched on youtube from SEvigny...

If you have a laser or red dot... practice dry firing by aiming at something and watching to see if the dot moves.

Otherwise, in addition to less finger... make sure as much of your shooting hand is behind the grip and up as high as possible.

Not uncommon with a Glock. I was in the exact same boat and only now feel like I'm making headway to get out of it.

I spent a long time assuming it was something that had to do with my grip, as the problem all but disappeared with other pistols. Then I considered (more like realized) it could be an issue with trigger press, and the way in which my finger engages the trigger surface.

What I discovered was that several aspects of the trigger were throwing me for a loop. Despite knowing that a Glock required it's own set of skills to shoot consistently and accurately, I had never really defined those differences. Given, it's going to be different for everyone based on several biological and psychological factors. So take my example as something to consider, and figure out what works best for you. Note that I'm still not as accurate as I'd like, but I've seen improvement in just a few nights of dry fire and a single 200 round range trip.

I noticed that the ergonomics of the pistol were causing me to push shots to the left. Grip angle, width, trigger shape, size and placement-- even the tactile sensation of the trigger safety. Coupled with the size and shape of my hands/fingers, I had a tendency to move the muzzle a bit during my trigger press-- using the exact same position and mechanics that work so well on every other pistol I own/have shot. I put a bit more finger on the trigger, but more importantly, I really studied what it took to press it straight back. For me, visualizing that I was actually moving the trigger downward was the ticket-- it centered up the pressure quite nicely.

Now, I toss a rare shot to the right, which was NEVER happening before. But in 200 rounds (slowfire, drills, pairs, etc.) I didn't put a single shot left-- where I often grouped enough shots to chew a ragged hole in the target. It stood out that I had definitely found the problem!

Your strong hand is likely sitting on the gun differently when you are shooting two-handed vs when you are shooting one-handed. This puts would put your finger on the trigger in a different spot. And, that would mean that, as you pull the trigger, you are inputing some side forces on the trigger.

Figure out (in dry fire) where you need to be on the gun such that you can smoothly press the trigger into the gun without disturbing the hold.

You can do so by paying attention to just the trigger as you pull it...watching the sights very closely... balancing a dime on the front sight in dry -fire ...etc.

I struggled with the same thing for the longest... what finally cured me was working on my support-hand more so than my trigger press (but that too).

I say try to get your grip technique dialed if it isn't already and maybe put some work into increasing your support-hand grip strength, it's amazing how fast your trigger press cleans up once that's really all your strong-hand has to worry about... Maybe shoot a few groups using your support-hand to really clamp down around the gun, aim the thing and generally do most of the heavy lifting (for me, this is THE key to shooting Glocks straight), and then just let your strong-hand stay relaxed and free to just press the trigger straight back, doubt you'll pull any shots. If it works for you, then I highly recommend picking up a CoC gripper...

Good luck.

Your strong hand is likely sitting on the gun differently when you are shooting two-handed vs when you are shooting one-handed. This puts would put your finger on the trigger in a different spot. And, that would mean that, as you pull the trigger, you are inputing some side forces on the trigger.

Figure out (in dry fire) where you need to be on the gun such that you can smoothly press the trigger into the gun without disturbing the hold.

You can do so by paying attention to just the trigger as you pull it...watching the sights very closely... balancing a dime on the front sight in dry -fire ...etc.

I think your spot on flex, I realized that with my two handed grip i am not getting behind the gun like i should be. I did some dryfire just concentrating on sight picture and trigger pull and notice some of the time i was applying some side pressure to the trigger which was causing me to push to the right just and i broke the sear. Now its time for some dryfire then some dryfire then when i think im good ill do some dryfire for a while. Hopefully cures the problem before double tap championship. Thanks everybody for your input.

I think your spot on flex, I realized that with my two handed grip i am not getting behind the gun like i should be. I did some dryfire just concentrating on sight picture and trigger pull and notice some of the time i was applying some side pressure to the trigger which was causing me to push to the right just and i broke the sear. Now its time for some dryfire then some dryfire then when i think im good ill do some dryfire for a while. Hopefully cures the problem before double tap championship.

I learned to think of pulling the trigger nice and smooth and straight to the rear as something I would never not work on.

Because shooting a pistol is a lot like having a firecracker go off in front of your face every time you fire a shot, bliinking and flinching are natural reactions.

Of course with experience you will improve, but always being calmly aware while you are shooting will never be a bad thing.