Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a starting 38 Super Recipe

mioduz

I am totally new to competitive pistol shooting so any advice is truly appreciated.

Just purchased my first "race gun" more on that later but it is an STI 2011 Open gun with a KKM barrel stamped .355

I am interested in running some .356 bullets later on in life but it seams as though they are very hard to come by right now so i will stick with a .355 load.

I want to be able to shoot a match this weekend (really excited to shoot this gun)

I am planning on ordering 1000 Montana gold 124 gr JHP .355

What is a good consistent well metering powder to start off with. I need a recipe asap because I will probably have to mail order powder if it is something more exotic.

I am planning on ordering 1000 Montana gold 124 gr JHP .355

You'll save some money and time if you bump your order up

to a full case (3750) bullets - order from Manny Bragg -

he charges less than MG charges:)

Good luck.

Jack

I appreciate you looking out for my pocket book, but i think i want to wait and get a load developed that i am satisfied with before i invest in that many bullet tips

I try-ed and I can not pass this up any more

The best starting 38 recipe would be to start with ......

An empty piece of brass , size it, prime it , add powder and top off with a nice bullet crimped to perfection. :roflol:

I crack my self up

Ok sorry, make some friends and try a few of their favorite loads .

Figure out what powders are easy for you to get. as in

if you have a trap field near you the club house may carry Hogdon powders like universal.

I have several diffrent loads that I use for diffrent kinds of shooting. the 7625 is a good handicap shotgun powder that works fine in my open gun with 121 MG

Edited by AlamoShooter

My advice is to pick up a good reloading manual and turn to the 38 Super section. Pick a powder that gives the velocity you need at roughly 85-90% of max load. Then begin at the "starting load" with that powder and work your way up until you get happy with the accuracy and compensation. No two guns are alike. What works in my gun might blow yours up. I'm not saying this to be selfish, this is simply basic reloading safety.

Working up satisfactory loads that are safe in your gun might take a month. Your new gun will be much more enjoyable with all your fingers and eyes intact.

;)

I appreciate you looking out for my pocket book, but i think i want to wait and get a load developed that i am satisfied with before i invest in that many bullet tips

You most likely never need to find any other bullet then the MG 124 jhp for 38 super. Vit powder.

7.9 gn n350 ~1370 fps

8.1 gn 3n37 ~1360 fps

You most likely never need to find any other bullet then the MG 124 jhp for 38 super. Vit powder.

7.9 gn n350 ~1370 fps

8.1 gn 3n37 ~1360 fps

For an even better deal, get the 115 JHP's from MG. They come 4,000 to a case vs the 3,750 of the 124's, for the same price. :cheers: