Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NU Finish vs other agents.

raysracer

I got the corn cob from Grainger.

why do you use Nu Finish, compared to other polishing agents?

I happen to have a bottle sitting around, but being a NOOB I wanted to understand the thought process.

Do you use an additive to walnut as well?

thanks

Unless you need your brass prettier, it's a waste of money.

+1 It's just gonna get dirty again when you shoot it, and you make it to shoot, and since most of us are trying to save money in these tight times, who cares about shiny brass if it shoots?

+1 It's just gonna get dirty again when you shoot it, and you make it to shoot, and since most of us are trying to save money in these tight times, who cares about shiny brass if it shoots?

Because shiny brass makes it very easy to see a split neck.

Because shiny brass makes it very easy to see a split neck.

99% of the time, you won't see the split neck, you'll feel it...either in the powder drop station where the brass is bell/flaired or in the bullet seat station. Besides, that where most of it actually splits, is during those two operations...It just doesn't split on it's own all that much, not saying that it won't though...

So...

correct me if i'm wrong.

the additives are just to make the brass more pretty?

I don't care about that!

Just run the brass thru corn or walnut for (2 hours?) until clean and start reloading?

I have found that split cases make a distinctive sound when i juggle it in my hand. Any other method you guys are using?

My brass looks good, my gun looks good, I look good. Nuff said! :lol:

All of the above don't mean squat if you can't shoot good. Shiny brass doesn't make it shoot any better than just plain cleaned brass...

I was hoping no one would mention the shooting good part. :blush:

My brass looks good, my gun looks good, I look good. Nuff said! :lol:

All of the above don't mean squat if you can't shoot good. Shiny brass doesn't make it shoot any better than just plain cleaned brass...

I was hoping no one would mention the shooting good part. :blush:

:roflol:

I use Nu Finish in walnut media and tumble my loaded rounds because it polishes the brass/bullet and leaves very little to no residue behind. This makes it easier to case gauge all of my rounds without case lube residue getting stuck in the gauge. This process leaves the rounds slippery but dry!

raysracer -

I believe that adding automotive wax to the corn cob does several things. I'll leave it to you to decide if they are "valuable" to you...

• There's no doubt that the media tumble will brighten up your brass. But what keeps the brass from starting to tarnish as soon as it comes out of the tumbler? Especially after you touch it going into the press? The "wax" simply adds an anti-oxidation layer to the brass so that it is not quickly affected by the oxidation process. In other words, when tumbled with a wax your brass stays prettier longer.

It does not have to be Nu-Finish, any number of liquid or gelatinous automotive wax products will do the same thing. Nu-Finish is simply famous because it lasted the longest in the Consumer Reports testing and is readily available at WalMart. Personally, I've tried several brands and can't tell the difference, but then my loaded rounds don't stick around long either.

• There seems to be some lubricious properties added to the brass. I cannot prove that statement, but I doubt anyone here can disprove it either. But it stands to reason that if the brass is covered with a thin, slick polymer layer, then that substance is likely to act as a lubricant as the brass goes through the sizing operation.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

I don't know if this makes any sense or not, but I pre-process my .40 brass (light clean in walnut, lube and deprime and size, light clean in corncob with polish). Mainly, this gives me brass that runs through the press very fast and without lube when I reload; but it also allows me to spot any manky brass at a glance - if it isn't clean and shiny like the rest it gets pulled.

I use Nu finish for the above reasons also. In addition, I think (scientifically unproven) that polished brass/final loads may improve feeding in the gun. Just like polishing the feed ramp and other internals to improve function, I think polishing ammo gives me just one more plus in the feed area.

Saving money???, a $5 bottle, using 1/2 cup (bottle lid) per tumbler load will do thousands and thousands of rounds.

Cheap insurance and it makes my bullets look good!

I like that everyone else I shoot with uses nu finish and other polishes. I tumble my brass a bit but like that it isn't nearly as pretty as all the other brass on the ground. Makes mine much easier to pick out :)