Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NRA Action Pistol: 2004 Results & Progress

rhino

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I'd add some fresh results here...but no comments about progress. Last weekends NRA Region II Hillbilly Cup in Hinton, WV and the Virginia State Cardinal Cup are the first two "official" Action Pistol Matches I've shot in. (so progress starts from here :wacko: )

My thanks and compliments to the clubs and members that put these two matches on. The range at Bluefield, Va (TriAngle Sportsmans Club) had brand new turning targets (which explains why I couldn't hit them.....Alibi #1)

Kevin AKA Action Pistolero, Alan550, and a bunch of other shooters were very helpful to my partner & I, since we had never done "the real deal" before. The tips, advice, and help that everyone present gave freely made it a blast.

I tried the matches with a S&W 686 revolver using .38 specials for Metallic, and a Browning GP 9MM competition/target model in Open (the model with the muzzle weight/long barrel) Maybe not the right stuff, but it made for a fun(ny) start.

NRA Region II/Hillbilly Cup

Falling Plates/Practical/Barricade/Mover 1920x192 possible

330x30 406x10 414x8 322x7 1472x55 METALLIC

300x30 363x10 396x7 352x6 1411x53 OPEN

Virginia State/Cardinal Cup

Falling Plates/Speedload Challenge/Los Alamitos/Mover 1860x186 possible

380x38 338x3 403x23 375x7 1496x71 METALLIC

390x39 398x11 410x25 387x12 1585x87 OPEN

Comments: I need to work on time management, after mostly IPSC'ing recently I may be shooting faster then I need to for this game. (when you're done in 6 seconds, and still have 3 more seconds at the 25 yard line on the plates, and some of the plates are still looking at you......Alibi #2)

And we won't even talk about the 50 yard stages, except to say that I suspect if I was classified on the basis of the 50 yard scores...my classification card would be marked: "NMP CLASS" (Needs More Practice....lots more)

It was fun, and Action Pistol will be something else added to the shooting games list. That is, of course as long as She Who Must Be Obeyed approves. She was mumbling something about "First Bullseye, then PPC, next IPSC and now Action....another excuse for gun buying...." Oh well...... :D

• 3 weeks later...

Since the cup is over, our October match consisted of The Crawford Barricade, The Ambidextrous Match, the Mover and the Practical. The Crawford Barricade has time limits of 8, 9,10, and 11 seconds at the usual distances. The differences are that you draw to the right target around the right side for three rounds and then transition to the left target around the left side for three rounds on the first string at each distance. On the second string, you do the same thing --- except you start on the left. That seems to have helped my score quite a bit --- I can't remember having broken 390 on this event before. The Ambidextrous event has you facing the plate rack from 10, 15, and 20 yards with time limits of 6, 7, and 8 seconds respectively. At each of the two close distances you'll shoot three strings --- one each freestyle, stronghand only, and weak hand only in that order. At the 20, it's the usual two strings of freestyle. After overtime penalties I managed to eke out a 290. I hit 6,2,and 4 respectively from the ten yard line with one overtime shot on each of the last two strings. I hit 6, 3, and 1 from the 15 --- simply couldn't get an acceptable sight picture on the weak hand string but kept yanking the trigger anyway. I only managed 4 and 5 from the 20.

Totals:

Practical: 405 8x

Mover: 320 3x

Barricade: 394 8x (Crawford)

Plates: 290 29x

Total: 1419 48x

November brings up the last match --- until April.....

• 2 months later...

Going to the cup for my first time this year

I finally got a 471 and 474 on the barricades this week

today i finally got a 45 and 46 on the plates Grrrrrrrrr man what is it with those plates....????Grrrrrrrrrr. Especailly the 20 yd line....

Now comes the mover and Pratical Hum....that will be a trick for me for sure

I just hope i dont make a fool of myself at the cup ..:)

Leroy

• 7 years later...