Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SR 1911

hankfan79

ck1, I agree completely. I consider Para to be one of the most innovative 1911 manufacturers in history; I think the LDA is pure genius. A lot of people slam it as not being a true 1911. I'm fond of the PXT extractor as well.

As for Ruger, I'm just happy to see them enter the market with a decent product. A lot of Ruger owners are die-hards that won't own a competitor's product.

I'm OK with them being a "me too" manufacturer as long as it's American made and a good quality product. I'm pro-1911 so I'll support whatever will get 1911s into the hands of new shooters.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen and handled a good number of 1911s, but never seriously considered purchasing one until Ruger came out with the SR1911. I am a big Ruger revolver fan, and have always liked the quality and durability of the products that I own from them. I'll probably wait a month or so before making my final decision on weather to get one of not. Hopefully my local gun shop will get one in their rental cabinet, or someone will provide the opportunity for me to try one out before I decide to buy one.

I'm not a fan of the LCP, LCR, LC9, or the SR9 myself. The SR1911 garnered my interest as none of them could.

I just wonder how long until the guy in the video blows a hole through his hand after watching the number of times he places his it over the muzzle.

I noticed that too. I've seen others on various TV Gun Shows on the Outdoor Channel put their hand out to show the laser with the slide closed on a pistol and thought they should at least lock the slide back.

I shot another couple of magazines through the pistol this morning. I was hoping to shoot another hundred rounds or so but didn't have the time to get that done. Anyway, I'm at about 650 rounds fired now and will detail strip the pistol and inspect it for anything unusual as soon as I hit 1,000 rounds downrange.

A lot of companies are cranking out MIM parts. If I recall correctly, Wilson Combat's VL line of parts are MIM. I prefer bar stock as well, but I have a couple 1911s with their VL hammers. No failures after years of use. Do MIM parts really deserve the bad rep? I wouldn't bet my life on them, but for other use they're probably fine.

Ruger making a 1911 who's next, Savage? It surely is the last sign of the end of the world.

That's funny but at the same time, I don't care who makes it as long as its quality and not a contest to see who can crank out the shittiest pistol and make more money....even though that is how gun companies think.

Look at Glocks for instance. They are as ugly as a flat tire...but they are reliable as hell. Fairly reasonably priced. I just hope they dont get the mentality.."Hey lets see what we can change on this pistol to make more profit."

I have 2 MIM hammers (one in a Para and one in a 1991A1) that I've been using for years now. Never had a problem with either one and have great trigger pulls with them both. I tuned them myself when I put them in and had no problem getting a good crisp trigger. If I remember right they are both Wilsons.

Edited by 392heminut

I have 2 MIM hammers (one in a Para and one in a 1991A1) that I.ve been using for years now. Never had a problem with either one and have great trigger pulls with them both. I tuned them myself when I put them in and had no problem getting a good crisp trigger. If I remember right they are both Wilsons.

If I recall correctly, any of Wilson's VL (Value Line) parts are MIM. Same as you, I have a couple guns with VL series MIM hammers, and I've installed countless others for customers. Never heard of one failing. Just being anal about protection, I still use barstock machined parts for carry guns.

Lots of talk... But, have anyone checked how the gun is timed/barrel fitted ? If it is even near "allright" it is gonna be awesome for $600 gun :rolleyes:

MIM hammer, disconnector and sear... ouch :( If you wanna make good trigger, throw all MIM parts into a garbage bin first.

A lot of people do that any way.

There willl be no recall. They're going to do like another company to remain nameless, and just pretend there are no problems with the gun. Ruger hasn't had any more recalls than any similar sized company (look into all S&W's recalls in the last few years). It's just that Ruger is very proactive about them rather than doing them on the sly or not at all.

I'm still sitting at 650 rounds fired. Not that it really matters but I've been anxious to get to the 1,000rd mark. If nothing else, it'll give us some type of benchmark as to how the gun's put together. Anyway, at 650 rounds, I don't see any peening on the locking lugs, etc....