Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9 goes BOOM

Wild Gene

Yesterday at qualifications an M&P 9 had a major failure. No one was injured, so that is good. It was not a squib, and (I believe)it was factory ammo. It sounds like the chamber failed. Has anyone else heard of anything similar happening? Hopefully this was just a freak deal. I was not there. I did not see the gun.

WG

Edited by Wild Gene

I've never heard anything about an issue with them, I have a couple M&P's with probably 15,000 rounds thru them with no problems. I would be interested in the specifics when available though.

Greg

There has been a few issues with cracked/broken barrels. Is it possible there was a failure prior to the round that went boom... More details are needed.

This is along the lines of what it sounded like (cracked barrel/chamber). I am asking around. Not trying to trash S&W, I have one of these, for my son.

***Update this very moment! The barrel broke at the lug, in turn the frame broke at the trigger guard. 2 so far in the State, over 5,000 rounds through the gun.***

Hey, poo-poo happens.

WG

Edited by Wild Gene

Yeah, we have had a couple I know of in Vt. also. The M&P forum has the problem pretty well documented. In this case, ouch!!!!

GREAT link, thanks for sharing! (M&P forum)

Have two M&P's here, great guns!

Edited by tracker

Was this a 5" or 4.25 barrel?

I will check. It was a duty gun. WSDOC.

WG

I'm pretty sure Wa. DOC uses the 4. I know it is not the 5. What range did this happen at? I have a friend at DOC and can possibly get some info

I saw a copy of a photo. The barrel is broken off at the chamber, the frame broken in two, the slide looks a little crooked but can't tell, I can't tell if the lugs are bent, the recoil rod and guide spring look ok.

Had one guy tell me that it looks like a classic squib, but I was told by someone else that it was not a squib, so will have to wait and see.

WG

Edited by Wild Gene