Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Minor 124g 3.8 Tighgroup seems harsh

ktm300

I've just made a similar change, coached by one of our local Grand Masters. It works well for me.

Frontier CMJ 124

OAL 1.13

Tightgroup 3.7

temp, 70 degrees

PF 132

Kimber 9mm Stainless

10 lb recoil spring with shock buffs

Tungsten guide rod (had to reduce weight with lighter grips, plastic MSH was standard) The gun makes weight and shoots nice and flat............compared to my Kimber 45.

The rest of the coaching from the GM was "strengthen your hands" and get a firm grip on the gun".

Don't give up your quest. My times are quicker and A zone hits are better. This is good for a 65 year old guy with some arthritis in my hands.

Good luck.............Joe

Edited by t0066jh

I've just made a similar change, coached by one of our local Grand Masters. It works well for me.

Frontier CMJ 124

OAL 1.13

Tightgroup 3.7

temp, 70 degrees

PF 132

Kimber 9mm Stainless

10 lb recoil spring with shock buffs

Tungsten guide rod (had to reduce weight with lighter grips, plastic MSH was standard) The gun makes weight and shoots nice and flat............compared to my Kimber 45.

The rest of the coaching from the GM was "strengthen your hands" and get a firm grip on the gun".

Don't give up your quest. My times are quicker and A zone hits are better. This is good for a 65 year old guy with some arthritis in my hands.

Good luck.............Joe

Wow, you must have a really fast barrel! I need 3.9 grains of Titegroup at 1.12 OAL to make minor! :surprise:

Wow, you must have a really fast barrel! I need 3.9 grains of Titegroup at 1.12 OAL to make minor! :surprise:

He's 1,000 feet higher than you (and me - I also need ~3.9gr). Maybe that's the difference?

I am a bit long on the OAL at 1.16 but 4.0g of TG makes 132pf+- with a 124g Frontier CMJ.

The load shoots very well and the recoil is very easy to control.

I got my MG 124g CMJ's and will load some of them this week.

He's 1,000 feet higher than you (and me - I also need ~3.9gr). Maybe that's the difference?

I guess that's possible.

124gr Precision Delta FMJ

4.0gr Titegroup

Will hit 130 PF all day long out of my G17 with factory barrel. I really like Titegroup and use it for my .40 180gr Major loads for my Limited gun.

Edited by kyojin

The answer to getting your splits down is likely found in technique, not powder selection. Hear me now and believe me later. :)

I hear you now and believe now. Technique is big, if not, the biggest part for sure.

I am working on my technique as hard as I can. I can get back on target quicker and see my 2nd shot faster with less input from the gun. My .22 splits on my second shot are about 40% better than the .45 splits at the same target so gun input has something to do with it. As my technique gets better I hope to bring that difference down but I don't think it will ever be the same.

I am going to try the idea of making my grip stronger to see what that does.

Next time you practice, try a mag full of your 45's and then switch to your 9mm. You may have forgotten how powerful the 45 is.

Nice improvemnet on the splits. You're still going to need a balanced performance. Draws, reloads and transitions. Try this link to improve your transitons. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109493. This will have a bigger impact on your improvement. You'll learn to call your shots and shift your eyes to the next target and then drive the gun to the target.

Now I'm learning more. We're at about 1700 feet at Rio Salado Range in Mesa, AZ. I'm going to SS Nationals on 5/12. What's the difference going to be in central Illinois. The phrase it better, how big is the affect on velocity when changing altitudes?

Edited by t0066jh

Nice improvemnet on the splits. You're still going to need a balanced performance. Draws, reloads and transitions. Try this link to improve your transitons. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109493. This will have a bigger impact on your improvement. You'll learn to call your shots and shift your eyes to the next target and then drive the gun to the target.

I probably spend 30% of my practice time on that drill. It helps a lot. I always have to end on shooting some regular 2 rounds on a target stuff so I don't go shooting the targets at a match with one shot.

Now I'm learning more. We're at about 1700 feet at Rio Salado Range in Mesa, AZ. I'm going to SS Nationals on 5/12. What's the difference going to be in central Illinois. The phrase it better, how big is the affect on velocity when changing altitudes?

My Sig is pretty slow. i was at 4.4 with a 124 in my 226. My buddy has a SP01 and can run 2 tenths less and do the same or better

• 5 weeks later...

Shot my chrono recently - gotta get a new one.... I'm running 4.2 TG with 124g PDs, just ordered a case of MG CMJs at 124g. Shooting in a G34 but my kid has a M&P9. I'm guessing that I might be a little hot?

If your load feels overly snappy, here's an alternative: try a 147 gr instead. I load 3.3 grs of Titegroup under a Zero 147 gr JHP...more of a "push" recoil impulse than a snappy flip. Chronos around 135 in my G34.

Heavier bullets, slower velocity is the key, though some say it makes the gun feel a little sluggish. I only find that the case if I drop down to a lower PF, say around 130.

Curtis

I too find Clays shoots softer than TG, even 124gr over Clays vs 147gr over TG.

I find that N320 rocks with 124gr MTG in 9 mm, even compared to Clays. Harder to get, cost more, just as clean but a softer pulse. But Clays rules with 147gr. TG in 40 with 200gr jacketed, is a good load.

I always thought that factory 9 was minor, but I learned last night that is not the case two guys borrowed my crono to check their ammo for Space City Challenge, well thier factory stuff only came out 121 pf. So you need to crono, else you don't know what you are shooting. Another guy showed up with a different crono and it didn't change anything, go figure. My major 9's came out at 1378 fps 170 pf right where they should be so I knew it was right.

When you say Clays, would that be Hodgdon Clays, and not Hodgdon Universal or International Clays?

Edited by CBags04

The answer to getting your splits down is likely found in technique, not powder selection. Hear me now and believe me later. :)

I hear you now and believe now. Technique is big, if not, the biggest part for sure.

I am working on my technique as hard as I can. I can get back on target quicker and see my 2nd shot faster with less input from the gun. My .22 splits on my second shot are about 40% better than the .45 splits at the same target so gun input has something to do with it. As my technique gets better I hope to bring that difference down but I don't think it will ever be the same.

I am going to try the idea of making my grip stronger to see what that does.

Believe me later. ;)

With proper technique, my major power factor splits are nearly identical with those run on a .22 rimfire.