Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN Competition Model

Robert King

I have been bouncing around on what to get for a 3 Gun shotgun and if I don't find something used in the next two days, and don't find a custom builder with one sitting on the shelf ready to ship, I am going to go with the FN. For $999 and it is local, it is my best plan B over something custom built. I only have two weeks to get it to my door and practice a little with it, so my options are limited.

I noticed on the FN web site they had a competition specific model. Is this really out there or is it on forever backorder? I have not found anywhere even listing it for sale, let alone having one available.

I just saw it today. Called FN dealers and after argueing with a couple I convinced one FNH dealer to look it up on the website. He did and said "well my distributors dont even have a part# for it yet. Once it is released from the factory it will have a part number" whatever that means. So it looks like it will be un-obtainable for a while. Gun broker will list them the moment a single store has one. I like the fact they are listing a 24" that is 5oz lighter than the 22" So im hoping for the vent rib barrel. Time will tell.

Edited by Ty Hamby

If they're wanting to create a "factory" competition gun, then it SHOULD be the vent rib 24" barrel with the .742 backbore and the Invector Plus choke system. Regrettably, I see no indications of that on the website. (Hopefully, this is a website issue!)

It looks like nothing more than a fancy blue anodized receiver separates this gun from a standard SLP Mk 1...

a blue anodized secret.....not sure how much will be different from the MK1......

Gary from AZ gunrunners just dropped me a note, the competition slp 24" vented barrel was shipped today, should have it in a couple of days....

a blue anodized secret.....not sure how much will be different from the MK1......

Gary from AZ gunrunners just dropped me a note, the competition slp 24" vented barrel was shipped today, should have it in a couple of days....

Please post pics!

Post pics PLEASE!!

I went so far as to call FN after two different dealers couldn't find them listed. The lady I talked to at FN stated it was slated for a late summer release. This made me think "Yea, Sept to Nov we will actually see it". Would love to see what the barrel should look like.

SHOW ME, SHOW ME!

Edited by USCSBarney

I just saw it today. Called FN dealers and after argueing with a couple I convinced one FNH dealer to look it up on the website. He did and said "well my distributors dont even have a part# for it yet. Once it is released from the factory it will have a part number" whatever that means. So it looks like it will be un-obtainable for a while. Gun broker will list them the moment a single store has one. I like the fact they are listing a 24" that is 5oz lighter than the 22" So im hoping for the vent rib barrel. Time will tell.

Ty,

I'm waiting on my m-2 to get back from Salient (waiting on a 21" vrib barrel actually), if you are still in the market when I get my shotty back from Salient and it works good for me, I'll sell you my trusty FN.

Sherman

Go for the standard one. I did... :cheers:

probably the way to go, rumors are the blue one is blue anodized with the option of a longer barrel(2 models), until the factory says otherwise, it is the same gun as the mk1, with only cosmetic changes.

Gary at AZ gunrunners is great to work with, best price you will find, he does have to order these from fn, so it will take 2 weeks for you to get them. He also can get you invector extended chokes, if you just want those.

OK, received mine today (24" vented barrel), fit is perfect, not much longer than the mk1 barrel (2in)but seems shorter.

These are invector plus, there was some literature stating they are invector , but that is not correct.

It does look good, it changes the balance of the gun considerably, it is lighter and more pointable, you feel that right away.

Not sure how it shoots yet, especially slugs. I liked the mk1 22 barrel for the mid adj. sight for slugs. so will have to shoot this one and see where the poi is. so far impressed with the change and look forward to trying it out.

sorry no pics yet.

Can't wait to see a pic!!

Gary at AZ gunrunners is great to work with, best price you will find, he does have to order these from fn, so it will take 2 weeks for you to get them. He also can get you invector extended chokes, if you just want those.

OK, received mine today (24" vented barrel), fit is perfect, not much longer than the mk1 barrel (2in)but seems shorter.

These are invector plus, there was some literature stating they are invector , but that is not correct.

It does look good, it changes the balance of the gun considerably, it is lighter and more pointable, you feel that right away.

Not sure how it shoots yet, especially slugs. I liked the mk1 22 barrel for the mid adj. sight for slugs. so will have to shoot this one and see where the poi is. so far impressed with the change and look forward to trying it out.

sorry no pics yet.

The FN is a great shotgun. It's good to see the manufacturers responding to the requests of the users.

I wish they would respond to my request for a shell lifter that wouldn't amputate my left thumb. I know some people have them welded up but I was told the extra weight could stress the spring and make it unreliable.

The FN is a great shotgun. It's good to see the manufacturers responding to the requests of the users.

I wish they would respond to my request for a shell lifter that wouldn't amputate my left thumb. I know some people have them welded up but I was told the extra weight could stress the spring and make it unreliable.

When C-Rums welded mine, he cut a slot in it as well, assume to offset the extra weight.

img3823n.jpg

Edited by biga9999

I just took out the trigger group and used 300, 600, 1200 on the fork looking things, they come out of the plant real sharp. Just rounding them off did the trick, no more amputations :)