Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right hand, left eye

sgrc1

I noticed over the past few matches than on Poppers within 15-20 yds I was missing very often to the left of the target, at first I thought that I was pulling the gun to the left when I pressed the trigger, this made me loose alot of time.

I went to the range this morning to verify this situation. I found out that I was not pulling the gun to the left, apparently it has to do with me behing LE, RH since I put a IPSC small target patch over my left eye lense and got a much better sight picture, I didn´t miss the target this way, but appeared to be a bit slower on shoting a string from a surrender position ( 2 paper targets at 10 yds/ 2 hits on each, 1 popper target at 15 yds/ 1 hit) = 3.17 with left eye covered and 2.85 with both eyes open, although I am not sure if I could have improved my practicing more with my left eye covered.

So the question is: is this really something I should work on, blocking my left eyes ability to focus, so that I am RH and RE?, will it really make a difference in my performance if I practice like this?, I did feel a bit strange because of course I had this blind spot with my left eye, and I wonder If I will regret doing this later on if I want to shoot again with both eyes (if I ever need to).

I guess the other option would be to shoot with both eyes open and on those difficult targets try to close my right eye. In this case I would have to close the right because if I closed my left eye the gun would appear to be pointing like a foot to the left, since I would be shooting naturaly and my left eye would be leading. The only thing there is that I wonder If I would be able to take that decision as the need comes up in the rapid pace of IPSC.

Help please, I see 3 options:

a) Block my left eye with a patch

B) Shoot with both eyes open and close one eye when required (if at all possible to be aware of this when the time comes).

c) Simply dont worry about it.

Thanks as usual for the help.

Sergio

There have been a couple of threads on eye dominance. Try a search and see what you come up with. Basically, you do better with both eyes open and it doesn't matter a lot if you are cross eye dominant. find what works for you and don't change.

I can't shoot Limited worth a cr** unless I block my left eye with transparent tape.

I did each way for years, tape is the better way for me.

Both my eyes open means: uncertain, uncertain, uncertain.

Uncertain is slow. Also not fun.

Decisive and fast is much more fun.

Me too.

I have done the close the left eye, put tape of the left lens, changed the contact in the left so it will focus on the front sight [monovision left eye is for far distances, right eye for up close.

So you can train yourself to shoot with the left eye or use tape.

It depends on how much dominance you have. I have none, so I use a piece of black tape to create a blind spot, it doesn't bother me at all. I found the clear tape was distracting, where black just sort of disappears after a few minutes. If you could use your right eye I would just move the gun in front of your right eye. I find trying to close one eye induces blinking, so I wouldn't recommed that. It really isn't a big deal, there are so many way to deal with it. The patch works to, but you don't need to block out everything, just your front sight, so that is overkill (I shot with one for a year.) BTW I'm a Master class shooter, and the tape won't stop me from GM.

• 1 month later...

I am right handed left eye dominant.

On long distance head shots I turn my head a little more to the right.

This eliminates some of the front sight confusion for me.

I currently am only a sharp shooter in IDPA but it works for me, so far...

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I fretted over this when I started shooting a few years ago.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant, and for handguns I simply turn my head a bit to the right, and use my left eye (both eyes open) to sight with. It works fine.

As for long arms, I now shoot off the left shoulder, again using my left eye, and it only took a few months to make it feel totally natural.

I remember reading some story about an olympic shogunner who lost an eye in an accident, and relearned to shoot off the other shoulder, and won gold with his recently retrained eye.

Pick a way, and practice, and it'll be fine.

Regards,

Francis

same here. right hand shooting, left eye dominant. it took awhile before i was able to shoot with both eyes open and be comfortable with it.

i just bring the pistol over to my left side during presentation.

tape is fine but you lose stereovision with one eye closed

B)

ditto- right hand - left eye..... ive always been able to shoot w/ both eyes opened as it helps you see your front sight (or dot) and the target you are aiming at.

try this - grip your gun w/ both hands aimed at the ground and keep both your eyes opened and focused forward - raise that gun to where you're aiming at the center of your focus... just a suggestion - but do it repeatedly until you feel more comfortable w/ keeping both of your eyes open - just my 2cents =]

I agree with the last couple of posts -- right hand, left eye. It works particularly well for me when I shoot from my usual Chapman stance (locked right arm, left hand pulls it back like a rifle stock, head forward of pelvis). I just tip my face over until my chin indexes against my right bicep, and crank away. Both eyes stay open (although photographic evidence indicates my right away gets a little squinty sometimes).

(No Paris Theodore "Quell Stance" jokes, please...)

This whole technique might be a little contorted for runnin' and gunnin' but it works wicked well for games where you stand on your hind legs and shoot. Like pins or man-on-man plate racks, or crap like that. Nothing controls moderate to heavy recoil quite as effectively as a good strong Chapman, if you ask me. But then, that's another subject altogether....

Mike