Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many right handers have reversed the mag Release?

sierra77mk

I find myself rotating the weapon too much in order to get thumb leverage and there is not an extended release available that I know of.

I have resisted doing this because of muscle memory on all of my other autos but I think I will try some practice with the release switched to the right side releasing with my index or middle finger.

Anyone else doing this? Are reloads faster for you?

I did that on my M&P for quite a while. The mag release fell right on the 2nd joint of my middle finger. When I wanted to change mags, all I had to do was squeeze my hand and the mag dropped free. I didn't have to change my grip at all.

I shot like that for over a year, and then all of a sudden I started having mags drop when I didn't intend for them to. I guess something about my grip changed and I was accidentally pressing the mag release. At that point I switched back to the original mag release location, but I liked not having to change my grip when doing a mag change.

I've done this and it works well for me. I carry a full size hk 45 for work and drop my mags with my index finger. I shoot an M&P for competition, and switched the mag release to match my duty weapon out of concern of reverting to trying to drop a mag with my thumb under stress( muscle memory).

What size grip do you use?

Medium

Small feels better but the medium points better.

My issue is the raised part behind the release and my thumb shape I guess.

I did some dry fire reloads tonight and found that I could keep the pistol straighter in my grip and used my middle finger on my right hand to release the mag.

Practice will have to wait until this weekend

I too have troubles with the "hidden and protected" mag release. But wanted to retain using the thumb.

I took a small knife and slightly (stress slightly) removed, and re contoured the raised area that protects the grip most aspect of the release.

I removed about 2/3 mm from the elevation of the ridge. It exposed the mag button significantly. especially the hidden / sheltered half.

Edited by ericf

I run a medium grip on my M&P. I have small hands and swapped the mag release to the "wrong" side before I even put any rounds through the gun. I had previously done this to both of my Sig's also. I activate the button with my middle finger, keeping my trigger finger well away from the trigger. I really like having the mag release on that side of the frame because my grip doesn't change, and I actually think I'm a little faster on the reloads.

This year I am shooting SS, but have opted for an Ed Brown extended mag release button on the "correct" side mainly due to the limited options and cost of those limited options.

I run a medium grip on my M&P. I have small hands and swapped the mag release to the "wrong" side before I even put any rounds through the gun. I had previously done this to both of my Sig's also. I activate the button with my middle finger, keeping my trigger finger well away from the trigger. I really like having the mag release on that side of the frame because my grip doesn't change, and I actually think I'm a little faster on the reloads.

This year I am shooting SS, but have opted for an Ed Brown extended mag release button on the "correct" side mainly due to the limited options and cost of those limited options.

S & A makes a very nice ambi mag release for about $100. the wife used one for years on her springfield 1911.

S & A makes a very nice ambi mag release for about $100. the wife used one for years on her springfield 1911.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into it. It's a little more $$ than I am looking to spend on a mag release, but if the Ed Brown one doesn't work out I may have to go that route.

I'm left handed and have shot with "right handed" magazine releases for 20+ years. It works great 99.9999% of the time. Obviously you can't have your finger in the trigger guard and on the mag release at the same time. However, I have dropped a magazine accidentally a few times. It is extremely rare, but as Murphy would have it....it happened twice on the first stage of the Space City Challenge last weekend :angry2: As you pointed out though, I don't have to change my grip very much to reach the button.