Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DP Ice Magwell for single stack

slippp

Okay, I searched this topic, but the thread was a year old and I didn't want to revive it. Anyway..here's my gear setup.

STI Trojan (.40)

Tripp 9RD mags with their polymer basepad.

So I want to order the Ice Magwell with arched msh, no gap, and in silver, but before that, I have a couple questions...

- Is this a drop-in for the Trojan? If not, what is the extent of the modification that will need to be done?

- Will I need the DP basepads for the no-gap magwell, or is the polymer basepad on the Tripp mags sufficient?

- Lastly, any discounts? :roflol:

I couldn't find a general consensus on these answers because people had different setups, so I figured I'd just ask directly with my current setup.

Hi,

Great choice on the DP Ice magwell for 1911. You will be very pleased.

The installation on your Trojan should be an easy drop-in. I have done a number of installs on my STI 1911s and never had to modify anything. If you do need to, however, detailed instructions are included on what to do.

You will need new basepads for your Tripp mags when going the No-Gap route. They are available in black (002-033) and silver (002-034).

Sorry, we're not running any specials on these parts right now. :closedeyes:

-Chet

• 1 month later...

i'm contemplating on using the dawson ice magwell with mainspring housing on my single stack project (a spartan in cal. 45), is it a one piece magwell?

and i use cmc 8 rounder mags, do i still have to use the dp base pads?

how about the with gap model, do i still have to use the dp base pads on my cmc 8 rounder mags?

thank you

i'm contemplating on using the dawson ice magwell with mainspring housing on my single stack project (a spartan in cal. 45), is it a one piece magwell?

how about the with gap model, do i still have to use the dp base pads on my cmc 8 rounder mags?

thank you

Demon,

I'm not associated with Dawson and certainly not an expert so take this for what it's worth. It's not a one piece unit but does insert and go together very easily. I'm using CMC mags with my Kimber and the "no gap" model; you will need to order the Dawson base pads to make it work right. It's a great unit and my mag changes with it are just as quick as they were with my Brazos SC double stack. But Travis T. doesn't have anything to worry about...yet. B)

thank you

Well, with any magwell you're going to want a basepad to help facilitate seating the mag into the gun.

With our standard magwell you can use most basepads.

With the no-gap version you will have to use our no-gap basepads.

(Remember that the only difference between the regular and no-gap magwells is the Ice insert.)

And as stated by dsb45acp above, our DP Ice Magwell for 1911 is a two-piece unit consisting of a mainspring housing and a separate magwell that mechanically key-locks into the dedicated mainspring housing.

-Chet

Edited by Dawson Marketing

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Which DP no gap basepads would/might work on removable base 10MM Metalform mags?

The dimensions of the 10mm magazines should be identical to the .45 mags with the exception of the feed lips.

Therefore, 002-037 in black and 002-038 in silver should fit.

Well, as it turns out that's not the case.

We'll have to get one of the mags into the shop and see what's up.

-Chet

Edited by Dawson Marketing

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking at getting a magwell for my TGO. I have a couple questions..

1. Since all my current mags have the standard type baseplates, I'll get the GAP magwell?

2. Why do people go with the No GAP magwells? Is it faster?

3. With the magwell, will my stock Springfield and Wilson 47D mags work?

4. If I decide later to get all new No Gap baseplates for my magazines, all I have to do is change the insert?

Thanks!

Looking at getting a magwell for my TGO. I have a couple questions..

1. Since all my current mags have the standard type baseplates, I'll get the GAP magwell?

Yes, that is correct.

2. Why do people go with the No GAP magwells? Is it faster?

Yes, some people find it faster as it eliminates the possibility of the magazine snagging on the front of the gun's frame during a reload.

3. With the magwell, will my stock Springfield and Wilson 47D mags work?

Yes, those will both work with the Gap insert.

4. If I decide later to get all new No Gap baseplates for my magazines, all I have to do is change the insert?

That's right, the only difference between the Gap and No-Gap version of our magwell is the replaceable insert.

-Chet

• 1 year later...

Does the tripp mag with plastic basepad fit on the ice magwell with gap? Also does the ice magwell comply with the IPSC classic division rule of 35 mm width and box as well? thanks in advance.

The magwell does not comply with the IPSC classic division 35 mm rule.

thanks for the clarrification.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two STI Trojans. Both have dawson front sights and Ice Magwells, No Gap. If you want to get the most out of the Ice Magwell, then you will need to purchase the Dawson Basepads. I tried to run the standard pads and quickly found myself correcting that mistake. Now, when it comes to gap vs no gap, there is no real question. IF you are going to purchase the Ice, THEN you should buy the Dawson Basepads, Which means that you might as well get the NO Gap.

The best set up in 9mm is the NO Gap ICE with Dawson 9mm mags and Dawson NO Gap basepads.

In 45acp the best set up is NO Gap ICE with Tripp 8 round mags and Dawson NO Gap basepads.

In .40 cal the optimum set up is the NO Gap ICE with Tripp 9 round mags and Dawson NO Gap basepads.

Hope this helps.

Edited by wes777