Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

walnut media

It's time to buy new media. I currently use Lyman's walnut treated with red rouge. The red dust it leaves on the case sucks. Should my next batch of media be plain or treated walnut?

If the treated walnut you were using sucked, why are you considering using it again?:blink:

Pat

If you have a feed store in your area.. look there.. it;'s about $13 for 50 pounds.

You'd be surprised how many big suburban areas, still have feeds stores. If there's any horses in 10 miles of you.. there's a feed store somewhere close by

It's time to buy new media. I currently use Lyman's walnut treated with red rouge. The red dust it leaves on the case sucks. Should my next batch of media be plain or treated walnut?

If the treated walnut you were using sucked, why are you considering using it again?:blink:

Pat

The media did a good job cleaning. The red dust sucked.

trying throwing a dryer sheet in with the media while your tumbling.

Already done! One of the first good tips I learned here!

Is that a whole sheet or a 2"x2" piece that I read elsewhere?

Is that an unused sheet, or a used sheet?

I just tried Turtle wax liquid rubbing compound mixed with mineral spirits. I bought some of the dirtiest once fired 357 sig ammo I have ever seen and was having a heck of a time getting it polished up. I sprayed 5 or 6 good squirts into my media and let it run for 2 or 3 hours and I now have bright & shiny brass.

Red rouge followed by 20-30 min in plain corncob. The dryer sheet keeps the dust down but doesn't seem to clean the inside of the cases as well as running a second session through plain corncob.

The red stuff just gets the brass too clean too fast for me to switch to anything "plain". :devil:

For walnut I go to a sandblast supply store. I get 40 lb bags for around $22-$24.

For corn cob I go to drillspot.com or grainger. It's cheap too.

• 2 weeks later...

50/50 mix of both is what I use, with a little polish it comes out really shiny!!